ADVERTISEMENT

Is McCaffrey named

Penn State says they are preparing for either as the starter but have analyzed and completely understand the tendencies of each QB so they defend which ever one starts.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I don't care who starts, I just care about production, which is why Scott should set the expectation -- no points on 2 consecutive drives and we're swapping. No exceptions for RB fumbles or OL penalties. Let's see which QB this team performs for.

I don't care who starts, I just care about production, which is why Scott should set the expectation -- no points on 2 consecutive drives and we're swapping. No exceptions for RB fumbles or OL penalties. Let's see which QB this team performs for.

I just watched BTN and came across the last drive by the Huskers on Saturday. I did so with far less emotion. Players are not perfect and the D was in prevent, but Luke threw some pretty good passes. Sure he fumbled the hike on one snap but was able to gather up the ball. On the same play he then threw an unwise pass to Mills while in the grasp of a defender, but they overcame that. (Don't compound one mistake by making another). On some plays I think the player could have tried a little harder to get out-of-bounds (Play smart), but considering the pressure of the situation they played pretty well. On the last pass I think Luke tried to get too precise. If he would have just thrown it in Wan'Dale's chest the Db may have been able to knock it loose, but throwing a low zinger that Wan'Dale had to dive for had less of a chance of being caught. I should have gone back and re-watched that final play, but was there another receiver open in the right side of the endzone? Hard to tell from the TV's camera view.

On the last pass I think Luke tried to get too precise. If he would have just thrown it in Wan'Dale's chest the Db may have been able to knock it loose, but throwing a low zinger that Wan'Dale had to dive for had less of a chance of being caught. I should have gone back and re-watched that final play, but was there another receiver open in the right side of the endzone? Hard to tell from the TV's camera view.
I like McCaffrey a lot, and I don't want to bag on him too much for the final play - but you just can't short-hop that pass on 4th-and-all-the-marbles. Give Robinson a chance to catch it and if it's picked off - so what? An incompletion there is just as bad as an INT.

I just watched BTN and came across the last drive by the Huskers on Saturday. I did so with far less emotion. Players are not perfect and the D was in prevent, but Luke threw some pretty good passes. Sure he fumbled the hike on one snap but was able to gather up the ball. On the same play he then threw an unwise pass to Mills while in the grasp of a defender, but they overcame that. (Don't compound one mistake by making another). On some plays I think the player could have tried a little harder to get out-of-bounds (Play smart), but considering the pressure of the situation they played pretty well. On the last pass I think Luke tried to get too precise. If he would have just thrown it in Wan'Dale's chest the Db may have been able to knock it loose, but throwing a low zinger that Wan'Dale had to dive for had less of a chance of being caught. I should have gone back and re-watched that final play, but was there another receiver open in the right side of the endzone? Hard to tell from the TV's camera view.
The last pass on 4th down looked to be DPI but they aren't gonna call that at that point in the game, but should have.

Reactions: BleedRed78
would be fine with me to not see the wide reciever screen out of nebraska the rest of this year. we dont/cant run it worth a sht. it's just a loss of downs play for us.
mc will start but will have a learning curve to contend with. these are all just scrimmages this year, might as well just use them to see who can be the most likely starters for us next year.

Is the 4 game redshirt rule still in effect? If Martinez would leave would he still have two years of eligibility at a new school?
This year doesn’t count toward eligibility. So yes he would still have two years left.

Also guys like: LM, Benhart, Piper, Fleming, Betts, Farmer, Ty Robinson, Heinrich. Will also all still be Freshmen next year.

Last edited:
This year doesn’t count toward eligibility. So yes he would still have two years left.

Also guys like: LM, Benhart, Piper, Fleming, Betts, Farmer, Ty Robinson, Heinrich. Will also all still be Freshmen next year.
Back in the day, third-year freshmen looked more like this:
3770e277-c075-4e6f-9127-5292d969ca1b_text_hi.gif

The last pass on 4th down looked to be DPI but they aren't gonna call that at that point in the game, but should have.
The ball hit the ground 3 yards in front of the receiver who was already diving. It wasn’t interference even though I also yelled it when watching live.

Reactions: seneca7
Looking to the future does anyone have any credible information on the Logan kid? Is he suppose to be a better passer? Runner? Or do both well?
Did someone say Logan Smothers Hype Train? WOO WOO!

He's FAST. Sprinter fast. Not quite Crouch fast but damn close, Smothers clocked a 10.93 time in the 100 and Crouch did 10.4. Similar results for the 200, Crouch was a few tenths faster. "Slasher" style runner, he's gonna juke guys not run them over. And he's pretty elusive.

Running also looks very easy for him, he looks like a kid who knows he can shake or outrun any given defender so I wonder how that's translating to D1 where lots of dudes are fast and agile. He's probably not used to being caught. Dunno if I see him as a guy who runs through a lot of tackles really. I see some great jukes but not really broken tackles on his film where a guy gets a body on him and he breaks free.

Smothers I would say to my eye is a better passer than McCaffrey. Accurate but a slow, lofting ball. Not a ton of pop on the ball, I don't see throws on his film that you're like "damn he rifled that thing, watch your fingers or he'll break 'em!"

I love the kid's potential, I think he could really be the bee's knees in this offense if he can adjust well to the speed of college ball. I've been on the hype train since the first time I watched film of him, more so than Adrian's or Luke's film. I always thought Luke was an athlete playing QB who would be a project as a passer at the college level, we may be about to find out.

I really doubt they wanna play Smothers. 2 QBs in your controversy is bad enough. 3 would be a circus. They'd love nothing more than to get 2 free years with Logan to let him develop his vision and his arm.

He's FAST. Sprinter fast. Not quite Crouch fast but damn close, Smothers clocked a 10.93 time in the 100 and Crouch did 10.4. Similar results for the 200, Crouch was a few tenths faster. "Slasher" style runner, he's gonna juke guys not run them over. And he's pretty elusive.

Running also looks very easy for him, he looks like a kid who knows he can shake or outrun any given defender so I wonder how that's translating to D1 where lots of dudes are fast and agile. He's probably not used to being caught. Dunno if I see him as a guy who runs through a lot of tackles really. I see some great jukes but not really broken tackles on his film where a guy gets a body on him and he breaks free.

Smothers I would say to my eye is a better passer than McCaffrey. Accurate but a slow, lofting ball. Not a ton of pop on the ball, I don't see throws on his film that you're like "damn he rifled that thing, watch your fingers or he'll break 'em!"

I love the kid's potential, I think he could really be the bee's knees in this offense if he can adjust well to the speed of college ball. I've been on the hype train since the first time I watched film of him, more so than Adrian's or Luke's film. I always thought Luke was an athlete playing QB who would be a project as a passer at the college level, we may be about to find out.

I really doubt they wanna play Smothers. 2 QBs in your controversy is bad enough. 3 would be a circus. They'd love nothing more than to get 2 free years with Logan to let him develop his vision and his arm.

Choo choo!

A couple things come to mind watching that:

1) I wonder if we could borrow a couple of those receivers
2) That thing they do throwing the ball farther than 15 yards downfield is pretty cool. It could revolutionize the game.
3) Don't know if that skill set fits our offense. Can he hit swing passes and 5 yard check downs on third and 18?

His times posted are from al.milesplit that was sanctioned through them. He along with several other athletes posted faster times not through them. Logan had runs in the 10.7’s-8’s. Not that matters much! The way he will lead his team and run for them in the years to come to me will be a career that we will be talking about for a long time. It’s going to be special!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT