ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kirk Cousins Overrated or are Vikings getting their money's worth?

AngryHusker88

Walk On
Feb 5, 2011
I admit I've only seen Kirk Cousins play twice, against Nebraska & Wisconsin in the same year.

Personally I don't think Kirk Cousins is the answer to the Vikings making the Super Bowl. I think he's a proven NFL quarterback, but merit wise not deserving at all to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Case Keenum, though he didn't play great against the Eagles, was not the reason they lost the game. I think it would've made more sense to keep Case Keenum, as he played well in the regular season & was even discussed in the MVP race at times & go after Suh.

So I feel this is an absolutely stupid deal for the Vikings, they should've signed Drew Brees for the money their paying Kirk Cousins. And common sense, I think they needed Ndamukong Suh in their conference championship defeat alot worse that they needed Kirk Cousins. Who's to say Cousins fairs any better against Philadelphia's monstrous DLune than Keenum did?

But again I haven't watched Kirk Cousins play at all, other than when Nebraska whooped his ass. I mean, I'm happy the Vikings have a solid quarterback in Kirk Cousins, but I think they way overpaid for him & it was a mistake. I don't see Kirk Cousins as the answer to beating Philadelphia, or to the Vikings playing for a Super Bowl.

Am I wrong here? Are the Vikings actually getting a super awesome QB? I haven't seen the dude play, but he missed the playoffs the last 2 years

Reactions: kakdawg
Solid QB but not 84 million guaranteed good. Crazy right now he is making more per year money than Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Matt Ryan. Lol, look at Cousins record against good or average teams. Not good. The NFL is so desperate for QBs they pay crazy salaries to guys who haven't won anything.

dont care for vikings, so i hope they overpaid him.

i should add hes done way better than i thought or the 'experts' thought he would.

I admit I've only seen Kirk Cousins play twice, against Nebraska & Wisconsin in the same year.

Personally I don't think Kirk Cousins is the answer to the Vikings making the Super Bowl. I think he's a proven NFL quarterback, but merit wise not deserving at all to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Case Keenum, though he didn't play great against the Eagles, was not the reason they lost the game. I think it would've made more sense to keep Case Keenum, as he played well in the regular season & was even discussed in the MVP race at times & go after Suh.

So I feel this is an absolutely stupid deal for the Vikings, they should've signed Drew Brees for the money their paying Kirk Cousins. And common sense, I think they needed Ndamukong Suh in their conference championship defeat alot worse that they needed Kirk Cousins. Who's to say Cousins fairs any better against Philadelphia's monstrous DLune than Keenum did?

But again I haven't watched Kirk Cousins play at all, other than when Nebraska whooped his ass. I mean, I'm happy the Vikings have a solid quarterback in Kirk Cousins, but I think they way overpaid for him & it was a mistake. I don't see Kirk Cousins as the answer to beating Philadelphia, or to the Vikings playing for a Super Bowl.

Am I wrong here? Are the Vikings actually getting a super awesome QB? I haven't seen the dude play, but he missed the playoffs the last 2 years
They tried to sign Drew Brees but he wanted to stay in New Orleans. Cousins I'm afraid is not the answer for the Vikes, I'm a Vikings fan and personally I thought they should have stuck with Keenum for the money. Unfortunately if you're signing a FA QB, you have to ALWAYS pay too much.

I think he is better than the 3 QBs Minny had last season. You could argue they overpaid - but the talent around Cousins was not great in Washington. Minny has very good skill players and a great defense. He does not have to Top 5 QB to win a SB - see Nick Foles.

As a QB you don't have to be the best QB in the league - just the best available at the time - to get top dollar.

Many tier 2 or 3 QBs get paid tier 1 money simply because their current teams aren't going to find a better QB in free agency and even with a top ten pick in the draft the "hit" rate for QBs is somewhere between 35 and 50%.

Several teams were lined up ready to pay him so the market says he's worth it, but I'd be very disappointed if I was a Vikes fan.
Well, all I can do is hope Spielman knows what he's doing. So far he's done a pretty good job of putting things together sooo...who knows.

Philly fan here. The Vikes really hate us now...and we don't care.

I'll say that I was a doubter of Kirk Cousins two years ago, but came around this year. He's a step better than Keenum, who also outperformed my expectations. That is still crazy money for him...he's not a top 5 QB. Maybe not top 10.

Kirk is a strange QB. One week he looks like a top tier QB and the next week he looks like dog sh*t. I don’t know if it was depth issues or what. I think he’s definitely better than what they’ve had in Minnesota for many years. Also, a lot of his best games that I can remember where games played inside. Look what he did last year in NOLA against a pretty good Saints D.

I can also say for sure that the guy has a very strong arm. A year or two ago, the Packers played the Skins in DC and the wind was extremely powerful that day. Aaron Rodgers was having massive issues getting the ball to receivers because of it but not Kirk. He was throwing bullets that day. It was very impressive. May have been Buck and Aikman calling the game, but I remember they were extremely impressed how much stronger his arm looked in the wind vs Rodgers....

Waaaaaaaaay overrated.
I hope people think this in my fantasy draft next year. Look at his supporting cast in Washington. His WRs were blah. Jordan Reed was always hurt. Crowder, Pryor, & Grant weren’t superstars by any means. His RBs were always hurt. He’s about to be throwing to Diggs, Thielen,& Rudolph in doors. And he’s got a cannon for an arm. Could be the greatest show on turf 2.0.

IMO the Vikes dodged a bullet by not signing an old Brees.

Reactions: saluno22
I hope people think this in my fantasy draft next year. Look at his supporting cast in Washington. His WRs were blah. Jordan Reed was always hurt. Crowder, Pryor, & Grant weren’t superstars by any means. His RBs were always hurt. He’s about to be throwing to Diggs, Thielen,& Rudolph in doors. And he’s got a cannon for an arm. Could be the greatest show on turf 2.0.

That's going awfully far IMHO.

He probably throws for 4000 plus and 30 plus touchdowns a year in Minnesota. Do the math on what he's worth. Also considering how dominant a defense they have I'm sure Minnesota will take that all day long.

Don't get me wrong, he's a decent qb. But isn't he the highest payed player in the NFL now?

Like they chant at the basketball upsets, "over rated......OVERRATED".

Absolutely over rated iyam. I don't think he is a top 10 QB. I like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Wentz, Dak, Newton, Watson, Goff, Stafford, Wilson,and Luck over him just off the top of my head.

He's played the "contract game" perfectly. That said he isn't even in my top 10 of NFL QBs right now. He might be closer to 15 than he is 10 to me. Just an above average guy to me.

Holla

Last edited:
Reactions: jlb321

I saw him almost every week since I live in the D.C area.

1) At times he was pretty good.
2) At times he threw bad interceptions.
3) The Redskins have been at best average during his time there.

Aaron Rodgers is the best qb I have ever watched play the position and he should be compensated as so considering the trash heap he was been surrounded with at GB

The QB market in the NFL is a problem that needs to be solved. The contracts the good QBs get are absolute back breakers for teams. You can have an elite QB who isn't on a rookie deal or you can have enough money to have other good players on your roster, but you're not gonna have both.

Vikes better hope they win this year or next, or forget it. Look what happened to the Seahawks after Wilson got his new deal. Packers have a similar problem with Rogers. Just not enough room under the cap to put a Super Bowl contender together.

Seattle won on Russ' rookie deal, same way with the Eagles. Wentz is on his rookie deal and Foles signed for not that much. Brady takes pay cuts so they can afford more talent around him. If Ryan re-signs for what he's worth, the Falcons are dead.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I feel like the Vikings just got passed by the Rams. The Rams did what was necessary for them to compete at the highest level & potentially win a Super Bowl. The Vikings made a lateral move at QB, minus that the lateral move costs them 10x what they were paying their previous 3 QBs combined. Prove me wrong, Kirk Cousins

I'll add, I don't think to many Vikings fans are sitting around thinking they are that much closer to winning a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins on their team, and for the coin it cost, you should feel like you just signed Manning or Brady or Rogers. I am so glad I am not a Vikes fan...The QB's they had could play .500 ball, so how many games over that winning percentage is Cousins giving you, and at what price per win?

I feel like the Vikings just got passed by the Rams. The Rams did what was necessary for them to compete at the highest level & potentially win a Super Bowl. The Vikings made a lateral move at QB, minus that the lateral move costs them 10x what they were paying their previous 3 QBs combined. Prove me wrong, Kirk Cousins

You better check what those 3 qbs are making next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT