ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa rivalry

RedSea

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 18, 2001
"Moos said he’s “going to push” the Big Ten into making Iowa into Nebraska’s rival. He said that Nebraska needs a rivalry game and that he’s already been in talks with the Big Ten about keeping NU-Iowa as the annual Black Friday game. The Heroes Trophy is currently tied 3-3 since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten." This was the only thing I didn't like about Moos' comments. Just because I've never liked the idea of trying to manufacture a "rivalry." You can't manufacture a rivalry, they develop on their own. I'd rather be rivals with Wisconsin and shoot it out with them for the top of the division.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Yeah, I've got a lot of friends from the land where the tall corn grows and never really disliked the Hawkeyes. Wisco on the other hand? I would love to shut them up from now on.

Reactions: cidsports
"Moos said he’s “going to push” the Big Ten into making Iowa into Nebraska’s rival. He said that Nebraska needs a rivalry game and that he’s already been in talks with the Big Ten about keeping NU-Iowa as the annual Black Friday game. The Heroes Trophy is currently tied 3-3 since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten." This was the only thing I didn't like about Moos' comments. Just because I've never liked the idea of trying to manufacture a "rivalry." You can't manufacture a rivalry, they develop on their own. I'd rather be rivals with Wisconsin and shoot it out with them for the top of the division.
Black Friday is important to Nebraska and now also Iowa. It isn't a rivalry in a traditional way but more so a means to an end.

Why not? They hate us and apparently we hate them. They "suck" right? Oh, they have beaten us three times and frankly I feel like they have humiliated us. It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic to read how lame Iowa is compared to Nebraska. Our record since joining the league speaks for itself. Or are we going back 100 years for this too so we can have some bragging rights. I would hope that both teams improve so the league championship comes down to this game every year. First, we need to do our part.

Wisky chaps my donkey.

Iowa is getting there though.

I was at the game the last year Pelini coached and seen their D lineman pancake the he'll out of our guard late game and threw his arms up on the air like "really?"

That was embarrassing to see.

But Wisco has put us in a corner far too much for me man. I'd like to see us get Frosts offense loaded in and boat race them to death

Reactions: HuskerDana

Wouldn’t we have to be competitive to Wisconsin before we could be considered a rival? Being their whipping boy year in and year out doesn’t breed much emotion on either side. Maybe we’re better suited for a rivalry with Rutgers? Like “hey, who’s not the worst red jersey’d team in the big 10 this year?” trophy. Or something along those lines, I suppose the title of the trophy could be abbreviated.

Wouldn’t we have to be competitive to Wisconsin before we could be considered a rival? Being their whipping boy year in and year out doesn’t breed much emotion on either side. Maybe we’re better suited for a rivalry with Rutgers? Like “hey, who’s not the worst red jersey’d team in the big 10 this year?” trophy. Or something along those lines, I suppose the title of the trophy could be abbreviated.
I personally think having wiscy as the last game of the season would make a huge difference in the west division. Not only that but i think it would give the players the extra mental push if we are on a roll heading into that game knowing that is what we need to do. With mike riley obviously matters very little but with a real head coach it could be huge!

I personally think having wiscy as the last game of the season would make a huge difference in the west division. Not only that but i think it would give the players the extra mental push if we are on a roll heading into that game knowing that is what we need to do. With mike riley obviously matters very little but with a real head coach it could be huge!
I can’t take anything you say seriously with that username.

Reactions: naturalmwa
The cold harsh reality is we’ll be johnny come lately to this whole Big Ten thing for another decade or so. Iowa isn’t using the rival tag with us. They’ve played most of the rest of the conference for a century or more. Neither is Wisky, NW or any other team in this thread. We’re going to have to earn a rivalry with the conference foes, and over a longer period of time than most would hope to get what many yearn for. Most of the B1G considers each conference for a rivalry game. The league has always been that way, w/Mich-OSU and PU-Ind the only thing that resembles anything close to what we had w/OU.

Also, Wishing we had a ‘rilvary’ with name-The-Team is the same talking point we mocked when Delaney tried to force Iowa as our rival.

Personally I am an anomaly. I am an ardent fan of both and love the Iowa - Nebraska game...grew up going to Nebraska games, then attended Iowa for college, then lived in Iowa for 2 decades before moving back to Neb...been to fiesta, cotton and orange bowls for the Huskers, Rose(3), Alamo, Peach, insight, Holiday (2) for Iowa. I love having Hawkeye and Husker family bunking in my house every other thanksgiving. And since neither team has screwed up a season for the other, I’ve never been crushed with any of the outcomes. If there is such a thing as a Hawksker, it’s me.

I also believe Nebraska will win this year.. Iowa is deflated, Nebraska is pissed and determined, prime to get a break, and will probably score more than Iowa can.

Thinking it’s going to be 38-35 type of game

The cold harsh reality is we’ll be johnny come lately to this whole Big Ten thing for another decade or so. Iowa isn’t using the rival tag with us. They’ve played most of the rest of the conference for a century or more. Neither is Wisky, NW or any other team in this thread. We’re going to have to earn a rivalry with the conference foes, and over a longer period of time than most would hope to get what many yearn for. Most of the B1G considers each conference for a rivalry game. The league has always been that way, w/Mich-OSU and PU-Ind the only thing that resembles anything close to what we had w/OU.

Also, Wishing we had a ‘rilvary’ with name-The-Team is the same talking point we mocked when Delaney tried to force Iowa as our rival.

Personally I am an anomaly. I am an ardent fan of both and love the Iowa - Nebraska game...grew up going to Nebraska games, then attended Iowa for college, then lived in Iowa for 2 decades before moving back to Neb...been to fiesta, cotton and orange bowls for the Huskers, Rose(3), Alamo, Peach, insight, Holiday (2) for Iowa. I love having Hawkeye and Husker family bunking in my house every other thanksgiving. And since neither team has screwed up a season for the other, I’ve never been crushed with any of the outcomes. If there is such a thing as a Hawksker, it’s me.

I also believe Nebraska will win this year.. Iowa is deflated, Nebraska is pissed and determined, prime to get a break, and will probably score more than Iowa can.

Thinking it’s going to be 38-35 type of game
You could be right. I just can't see Nebraska running on Iowa, which will lead to them being one dimensional with Tanner Lee throwing some pics. On the flip side, I see Iowa running and passing all over the field...i have nothing to justify it though after the last two games. Iowa has plenty of reason to play pissed but I wonder if we will and that's a concern.

I lived in Iowa since 1977 when Mom moved us from Ashland.I promise you there is no bigger win I want then this game Friday.I work in a factory with my Hawkeye buddies and they are relentless.All in good spirits but a couple are over the top.We have a Nebraska and Iowa hardhat and the winner gets to write the date on theirs after the game.We only started when we joined the big 10.Im not aloud to bring up past victory's even though I was alive for them. :)

Last edited:
Why not? They hate us and apparently we hate them. They "suck" right? Oh, they have beaten us three times and frankly I feel like they have humiliated us. It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic to read how lame Iowa is compared to Nebraska. Our record since joining the league speaks for itself. Or are we going back 100 years for this too so we can have some bragging rights. I would hope that both teams improve so the league championship comes down to this game every year. First, we need to do our part.
I posted this last night. I hope this game means a division title very soon.

I posted this last night. I hope this game means a division title very soon.
Me too. I think Iowa is a natural rival for us. Two bordering farm states similar in culture. No, you can't manufacture a rival. But I could see this game really blooming into one if both Iowa and Nebraska get new coaches who reinvigorate both programs

Reactions: WHCSC
Not sure their is another team in the country with more rivalry games than Iowa.
usa-today-9595114.0.jpg

5600352.jpg

561041f49fb23.image.jpg

56592434329c9.image.jpg

guess I'd rather see Wisconsin than Iowa nothing beats Nebraska vs Oklahoma but that ain't happening but they go freaking West Virginia serves them right

Reactions: FrostTroll
The OP is correct in that the Big Ten does not designate or manufacture rivals. The Hero's game/trophy is a product of HyVee and not the Big Ten.

In the list of Iowa rivals, Nebraska is pretty far down - Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota then perhaps Nebraska. There is also no love lost with Illinois and that rivalry would be much bigger except there was a good 8 years in which we didn't play each other. Furthermore, fans in eastern Iowa couldn't give a damn about Nebraska. At a game earlier this year Nebraska was playing and I couldn't find a single bar in Iowa City that was playing the game.

Nevertheless, I see that Red fans hate Iowa and Iowa fans in Nebraska and western Iowa REALLY want to beat Nebraska.

The OP is correct in that the Big Ten does not designate or manufacture rivals. The Hero's game/trophy is a product of HyVee and not the Big Ten.

In the list of Iowa rivals, Nebraska is pretty far down - Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota then perhaps Nebraska. There is also no love lost with Illinois and that rivalry would be much bigger except there was a good 8 years in which we didn't play each other. Furthermore, fans in eastern Iowa couldn't give a damn about Nebraska. At a game earlier this year Nebraska was playing and I couldn't find a single bar in Iowa City that was playing the game.

Nevertheless, I see that Red fans hate Iowa and Iowa fans in Nebraska and western Iowa REALLY want to beat Nebraska.

And you set your screen name with Nebraska on the brain, so you apparently think this game is a big, big deal.

:Cool:

If the outcome of the game doesn't determine the Big 10 West champion, you have aimed too low in defining who your rival is.

The problem is that Wisky doesn't consider us a rival. Just another automatic W. That has to change first, then we can talk about rivalries.

I’m still trying to figure out why a Nebraska game would be on in IC.

Rivalries cannot be designated. They are made over time and there has to be something on the line.

The only real rival NU has ever had is Oklahoma. I don't see any organic rivalries coming about any time soon.

At some point Nebraska is going to beat Iowa to keep them out of something or Iowa will beat Nebraska to keep them out of something and that will be the match hitting the gasoline.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Because the Iowa game was over and the bars were playing other Big Ten games of interest.
You are like another Iowa poster that claims to not “care about Nebraska football” and then only posts in threads about Nebraska football. Let me explain, you see your screen name, get it?? We know you hate us cause you ain’t us.

Iowa is a much more natural rival with Wisky than with Nebraska, actually our overall record against Wisky is about dead even. These rivalries don’t begin or end with Football they are shared among the overall sports programs. Nebraska needs to get competitive in basketball ASAP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT