ADVERTISEMENT

Football Iowa PK Duncan on "The Kiss"

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Link: https://theathletic.com/2120437/202...e-media-session-quarterback-newcomers-petras/

Petras, Newcomers and a Kiss: 3 Takeaways from Tuesday's Iowa Media Session
by Scott Dochterman, The Athletic
Just for Kicks

Iowa kicker Keith Duncan was named a consensus first-team All-American last year after booting a Big Ten-record 29 field goals. In three different games, Duncan kicked four field goals. But what he's best known for is sealing the regular-season finale with a kiss.

At Nebraska, Duncan drilled a 48-yard field goal with one second left to cap the Hawkeyes' 27-24 win against the Cornhuskers. After making the kick, Duncan ran away from the line of scrimmage, pointed at the Nebraska sideline and blew a kiss toward coach Scott Frost.

It's an act of bravado that few normally would associate with Iowa. So, nearly 11 months later, would the senior kicker have conducted himself differently in retrospect?

"I would not have done anything differently," Duncan said. "I wish it could have lasted longer. So much fun. Yeah, it was a lot of fun. Something that I will always remember. And again, I wish it could have lasted longer."

With one kick, Duncan might have cemented the escalating Iowa-Nebraska series into rivalry status. Nebraska won three of the first four games after joining the Big Ten in 2011. Iowa has won the last five. They are designated to play on Thanksgiving weekend and likely on Black Friday.

Duncan has heard from plenty of Nebraska fans since his field goal.

"I've gotten a lot of Twitter messages, handwritten letters with like watermarks on it," Duncan said. "I think that's really cool. They have a lot of very passionate fans. I love playing in Nebraska. We have a lot of respect for their program as well as their fans."

"I hope we can do it again this year. I don't care if it comes down to a field goal or a plain blowout, I'd love to see us get a win against Nebraska this year."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News