ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with TJ Lateef at Elite 11

I disagree. If you can get Josh Allen to the Mahomes’ backup, why wouldn’t you do that? It'll never happen in the NFL, but it happens in college football all the time.

I get the argument that if he transfers a year or 2 later we wasted time on him that we could have invested in someone else. But if the starter goes down while he’s here, I want the best possible player backing up the starter.
Name me one team in college football who had a 3rd year player like say Caleb Williams being backed up by another 3rd to 4th year player like say Jayden Daniels. It NEVER happens anymore.

4 of the 6 QBs drafted in the first round of the NFL draft in 2024 were players who transferred.

What you said above does not happen all of the time in college football, it almost never happens.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Hundreds? Every team has a 4-star recruit who sits for 3 years? Really?

Nebraska has the perfect QB situation now. DR is way above the others, DK is a home grown kid who expects to develop over several years, and HH is a kid who can play QB but has a plan to make it to the league as something else. Neither DK or HH as any expectation short of injury to DR that they will play much the next 2-3 years at QB. I guarantee that this new guy won't have the same sentiment.
Texas had the perfect QB situation last year. They had at least 2 NFL draft picks available.

Name me one team in college football who had a 3rd year player like say Caleb Williams being backed up by another 3rd to 4th year player like say Jayden Daniels. It NEVER happens anymore.

4 of the 6 QBs drafted in the first round of the NFL draft in 2024 were players who transferred.

What you said above does not happen all of the time in college football, it almost never happens.
As @dinglefritz just mentioned, Texas appears to have that going on right now. Maybe we find out Arch Manning isn’t deserving of the hype, but so far, that’s a current example.

Ohio State during their last championship year had 3 guys that all played and got a cup of coffee in the NFL as well. Alabama had Hurts and Tua, and yes, Hurts transferred out, but they both played and made sure Bama won another championship.

That’s what I’m referencing… I’d rather have the top backup who is going to be ready if the starter goes down (which has happened every year at Nebraska the last 10 years or so), even if he transfers out at a later date. I’d rather have that than what we had last year.

News flash… even the backups you are seeking are no guarantees to stay. Charles Thompson would be exhibit A. Would have been wonderful to have had him with us last year. But he transferred.

If any player might transfer, give me the best we can get, so when the starter goes down, we give ourselves the best chance to win.

As @dinglefritz just mentioned, Texas appears to have that going on right now. Maybe we find out Arch Manning isn’t deserving of the hype, but so far, that’s a current example.

Ohio State during their last championship year had 3 guys that all played and got a cup of coffee in the NFL as well. Alabama had Hurts and Tua, and yes, Hurts transferred out, but they both played and made sure Bama won another championship.

That’s what I’m referencing… I’d rather have the top backup who is going to be ready if the starter goes down (which has happened every year at Nebraska the last 10 years or so), even if he transfers out at a later date. I’d rather have that than what we had last year.

News flash… even the backups you are seeking are no guarantees to stay. Charles Thompson would be exhibit A. Would have been wonderful to have had him with us last year. But he transferred.

If any player might transfer, give me the best we can get, so when the starter goes down, we give ourselves the best chance to win.
*casey thompson

This was a place holder commit by him, always was...he is waiting on a west coast committable offer
It’s pretty tough for me to get too worked up about a QB who likely wouldn’t start a game for us for 3 years. With injuries I get it would be nice to have him on the roster but I also get ragcheck’s point about finding portal guys.

It’s just today’s world . And Arch Manning is a head scratcher on why he hasn’t transferred. Maybe it’s because he is making enough NIL and he is content on waiting. And your Ohio State reference. If the Portal and NIL existed back then doubtful all the QBs would have stayed. It’s just tough to keep backups around these days because of NIL and the portal.

There's a slight difference between us and Texas regarding the QB situation in that Texas has an older player that's actually better than the 5-Star freshman. Whether Manning stays at Texas or not is TBD.

tOSU's championship run year was in 2014 before the NIL and transfer frenzy. Might I remind you that the best QB ever to put on a uniform at tOSU never played there much and transferred out so he could win the Heisman somewhere else.

The thing that you all seem to miss is that I think DK is going to develop into a really good QB and will be the backup for 2 years (HH will be the backup this year). A 2025 QB won't even be the first backup until 2027.

Reactions: BleedRed78
What you said is only true if you need to sign someone to be your backup this year. The backups I'm talking about are not the 2nd guy.

BTW, almost every team in college football and the NFL is screwed if their starting QB goes down. So the "what do we do if he gets hurt" thing is not really valid.

If that were the case, then Mahomes' backup would be Josh Allen.

College isn't like the NFL in that sense imo. You can have two or three guys completely capable of running the team at an above average level without them being labeled a "back up" type.

Holla

Reactions: huntered
There's a slight difference between us and Texas regarding the QB situation in that Texas has an older player that's actually better than the 5-Star freshman. Whether Manning stays at Texas or not is TBD.

tOSU's championship run year was in 2014 before the NIL and transfer frenzy. Might I remind you that the best QB ever to put on a uniform at tOSU never played there much and transferred out so he could win the Heisman somewhere else.

The thing that you all seem to miss is that I think DK is going to develop into a really good QB and will be the backup for 2 years (HH will be the backup this year). A 2025 QB won't even be the first backup until 2027.
I would contend that what you are seeking is what we had last year. A starter and some backups who would not leave. 2 of them left anyway, so there are no guarantees that even those guys will stay. The one who did stay is a born and raised Husker fan. DK may likely be that same person. But look at how that worked for us… if even the so so players are candidates for the transfer portal, why not get the best you can get so that when the starter goes down, the guy filling in is more capable than what we have had in the backup role over the years?

Edit: let me clarify… DK might be that person like Haarberg, who stays, not one of those who transferred out.

Last edited:
Their starter is an NFL Draft Pick. Manning has shown nothing yet.
You did say this couldn’t happen anymore and asked for an example… this would be an example.

I get that it’s uncommon to have a bunch of 5 stars backing each other up. But I’ll still take that top signal caller over the turnover machines we had last year, every day of the week. And when the transfer out, rinse and repeat. I think we had 3 QBs hit the portal (if you include the walk on). It leaves us in the exact same position, whether the backup is 4 or 5 star or a 2 or 3 star.

Reactions: kakdawg
I would contend that what you are seeking is what we had last year. A starter and some backups who would not leave. 2 of them left anyway, so there are no guarantees that even those guys will stay. The one who did stay is a born and raised Husker fan. DK may likely be that same person. But look at how that worked for us… if even the so so players are candidates for the transfer portal, why not get the best you can get so that when the starter goes down, the guy filling in is more capable than what we have had in the backup role over the years?

Edit: let me clarify… DK might be that person like Haarberg, who stays, not one of those who transferred out.

I am not sure about that with DK. Don’t forget that he looked at MSU right after DR committed. He might be one that considers transferring depending on how things work out. You just never know in 2024.

I am not sure about that with DK. Don’t forget that he looked at MSU right after DR committed. He might be one that considers transferring depending on how things work out. You just never know in 2024.
I’m glad we have Kaelin and hope he can be developed but I think it was pretty obvious in the spring scrimmage that he has some work to do.

It seems like this is one of those deals where Lateef was our Plan B, and we were his Plan B. Don't love the chances of this working out, but I hope I'm wrong.
Wasn’t he our top target? Or was that only after Alex Manske told us no?

For sure. You can’t count on anything anymore. Even starters transfer out for whatever reason. Which is why I would prefer to get the best and not settle for someone content with being the backup.

DK is the exact type of developmental player we should target out of HS every year.

Which will allow to take big swings every other year at 5* with ties to the program or impact transfers.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun

No comparison between this year and last year. DR is a QB like Nebraska has never had. DK will be better a year or two down the road than any we had last season. DK is not like HH. He is an actual QB. HH is a H-Back trying to be a QB.

Look, bring the guy in. He'll leave, but you guys can pretend that he helps us his freshman year by just being here.

Reactions: RedMyMind
College isn't like the NFL in that sense imo. You can have two or three guys completely capable of running the team at an above average level without them being labeled a "back up" type.

Holla
That used to be true. Not anymore.

If anything it's safe to say he's no solid. I wouldn't stop recruiting QBs. If Raiola has a great start to the year I could see him moving on. If he struggles he may feels he has a better chance at playing sooner at Nebraska. Any way I wouldn't close the door on other QBs that were interested.

It seems like he is keeping his options open. If I'm Nebraska it would be wise to do the same. Put ya cards on the table I say.

Holla
Seems there is not much downside for him to keep options open. As long as a guy like him plays it down the middle, he won’t be recruited over. If he is careless with the process, he could be. So, if he’s seeing other teams, we are seeing other QBs

It’s just today’s world . And Arch Manning is a head scratcher on why he hasn’t transferred. Maybe it’s because he is making enough NIL and he is content on waiting. And your Ohio State reference. If the Portal and NIL existed back then doubtful all the QBs would have stayed. It’s just tough to keep backups around these days because of NIL and the portal.
Arch looks good by staying put. He should be more ready to take over the job after his time as the understudy. The kid ahead of him is going to be a high draft pick, so not beating out someone with more experience than you is not the end of the world. Arch can develop at a respectable pace and only continue to get better over the next several years. His trajectory has nothing to do with the other guy.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Seems there is not much downside for him to keep options open. As long as a guy like him plays it down the middle, he won’t be recruited over. If he is careless with the process, he could be. So, if he’s seeing other teams, we are seeing other QBs

Yes you may be right. As long as both parties understand no harm no foul.

Holla

That used to be true. Not anymore.

We can agree to disagree. I don't ever wanna start recruiting guys just because they aren't good enough to go somewhere else and play. Maybe be a backup by year 3 but are no threat to leave because basically nobody wants them. But sure let's keep em on the roster.

Bottom line is each one of these guys are individuals and you can't possibly predict whether they will stay or leave. To say you can is just flat out not true. Therefore I say you simply continually recruit the best guy you can and sort it out in live time as it plays out.

Seriously what good is a guy who has been on the roster 4 years IF he can't play dead in a western movie? Don't overthink it. The more good guys you get the better. When you do have a guy who stays at least you have a guy and not just a body.

Holla

We can agree to disagree. I don't ever wanna start recruiting guys just because they aren't good enough to go somewhere else and play. Maybe be a backup by year 3 but are no threat to leave because basically nobody wants them. But sure let's keep em on the roster.

Bottom line is each one of these guys are individuals and you can't possibly predict whether they will stay or leave. To say you can is just flat out not true. Therefore I say you simply continually recruit the best guy you can and sort it out in live time as it plays out.

Seriously what good is a guy who has been on the roster 4 years IF he can't play dead in a western movie? Don't overthink it. The more good guys you get the better. When you do have a guy who stays at least you have a guy and not just a body.

Holla
Can’t say it better than this. I’ve tried, but this is much better worded. Agree 100%

No comparison between this year and last year. DR is a QB like Nebraska has never had. DK will be better a year or two down the road than any we had last season. DK is not like HH. He is an actual QB. HH is a H-Back trying to be a QB.

Look, bring the guy in. He'll leave, but you guys can pretend that he helps us his freshman year by just being here.
I agree, we sucked at QB last year. That’s why I want to continue to recruit guys who can start for a lot of teams, not guys who will suck for us.

Hearing the other school in play here is CU...they are trying to flip the USC commit, but if they can't, he is their Plan B

It will be a huge disappointment if it takes a year or two for him to be better than what we had last season.

Last edited:

Holla
I'm not talking about giving a transfer a scholarship in 2025. I'm proposing we give NO QB a scholarship in 2025.

I'm not talking about giving a transfer a scholarship in 2025. I'm proposing we give NO QB a scholarship in 2025.
I just don’t understand this at all, especially when NIL makes scholarships not a big deal at all.

It’s one thing if the scholarship limit is just 85 with no NIL… but to play the game correctly now you can really stretch the limits of who you can bring in every year. We don’t need to save a scholarship for a position of need elsewhere anymore.

More than that, I would consider the QB position a position of need every year over just about any other position.

I just don’t understand this at all, especially when NIL makes scholarships not a big deal at all.

It’s one thing if the scholarship limit is just 85 with no NIL… but to play the game correctly now you can really stretch the limits of who you can bring in every year. We don’t need to save a scholarship for a position of need elsewhere anymore.

More than that, I would consider the QB position a position of need every year over just about any other position.
You can't have too many threats in the room at once at QB. The people playing need to know that they are the guy(s) and not hanging by a thread. This is essential for them to play confident and take risks that win games and championships.

The worst teams I have ever been associated with are the ones where the kids are of the mentality that if they don't perform great for one game, sometimes one quarter or one inning, the coach is going to replace them. It makes the whole team play tight and slow, always worrying about the inevitable next mistake.

My opinion is specific to our situation. Had DR not come, I would be for bringing in a 2025 recruit, but we already have a backup with game experience who can play in a pinch this fall, and if we have to go to #3, DK can be someone who they can work with now and will be more ready in 2025.

Fast forward to 2025, we'll have the same top 3 QBs coming back, the only difference is that HH will probably move further away from QB to something that gets him ready for the NFL and DK will be more than ready to be the backup. This new kid in 2025 is not going to overtake DK as the backup as a freshman after DK has a 18 months in the program under his belt.

In 2026, we still have DR and DK (I don't think DK is transferring as he knew the situation before he decided to stay with his original commitment). The 2025 kid would be a RS freshman, essentially sitting in his year 2 has the 3rd string QB (a kid with no ties to Nebraska in an environment where if he's any good, many suitors will be knocking on his door to start in 2026 instead of being 3rd at Nebraska with the prospect of being 2nd in 2027).

Sure, kids can get hurt, but this has been exacerbated by Frost's and Riley's poor work ethic for the team. Before that, we rarely had to go to a number 3 at QB. In over 40 years from TO to Pelini, we lost our starting QB to injury in only 4 if these seasons. I think we had to go to a number 3 maybe twice for a few games because of injury. You can't base recruiting on fear of that.

You can't have too many threats in the room at once at QB. The people playing need to know that they are the guy(s) and not hanging by a thread. This is essential for them to play confident and take risks that win games and championships.

The worst teams I have ever been associated with are the ones where the kids are of the mentality that if they don't perform great for one game, sometimes one quarter or one inning, the coach is going to replace them. It makes the whole team play tight and slow, always worrying about the inevitable next mistake.

My opinion is specific to our situation. Had DR not come, I would be for bringing in a 2025 recruit, but we already have a backup with game experience who can play in a pinch this fall, and if we have to go to #3, DK can be someone who they can work with now and will be more ready in 2025.

Fast forward to 2025, we'll have the same top 3 QBs coming back, the only difference is that HH will probably move further away from QB to something that gets him ready for the NFL and DK will be more than ready to be the backup. This new kid in 2025 is not going to overtake DK as the backup as a freshman after DK has a 18 months in the program under his belt.

In 2026, we still have DR and DK (I don't think DK is transferring as he knew the situation before he decided to stay with his original commitment). The 2025 kid would be a RS freshman, essentially sitting in his year 2 has the 3rd string QB (a kid with no ties to Nebraska in an environment where if he's any good, many suitors will be knocking on his door to start in 2026 instead of being 3rd at Nebraska with the prospect of being 2nd in 2027).

Sure, kids can get hurt, but this has been exacerbated by Frost's and Riley's poor work ethic for the team. Before that, we rarely had to go to a number 3 at QB. In over 40 years from TO to Pelini, we lost our starting QB to injury in only 4 if these seasons. I think we had to go to a number 3 maybe twice for a few games because of injury. You can't base recruiting on fear of that.
I understand your logic BUT it’s contrary to what every successful program has done to be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT