ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting parallel coming up between Devaney and

Huskers_Rule

All-American
Jul 11, 2001
Frost. In 1962 Devaney's Huskers played at Michigan in the 2nd game of the year. Although I was only 2 I always recall reading that Devaney thought that was his biggest victory and gave his new program the momentum it needed.

Of course Frost's Huskers play at Michigan in his 4th game of his new tenure. Could a surprise victory there do similar things? One can hope. :)

You could read when you were 2? Holy smokes.
Op didn't say that... Said that they remember reading that Devaney thought that win was his biggest victory. Could have been read many years later. Didn't say he was reading by 2. It's just reading comprehension.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Op didn't say that... Said that they remember reading that Devaney thought that win was his biggest victory. Could have been read many years later. Didn't say he was reading by 2. It's just reading comprehension.
No, it says plain as day that he was reading at a 11th grade level at the age of two. Try to keep up, half pint.

Reactions: huskerfan66
To the point OP was trying to make. Michigan wasn't a very good in the early 60's and in 62 went 2-7. While at the time they were considered much better then Nebraska a victory this coming season would be bigger IMO.

The advantage Frost will have is Harbaugh has a pro mentality and FrostFast will be something they haven't had much experience with.

To the point OP was trying to make. Michigan wasn't a very good in the early 60's and in 62 went 2-7. While at the time they were considered much better then Nebraska a victory this coming season would be bigger IMO.
Except that one time they coached against each other 2 years ago. Other than that, Harbaugh will be completely clueless and have no idea what Nebraska is capable of.

The advantage Frost will have is Harbaugh has a pro mentality and FrostFast will be something they haven't had much experience with.

Reactions: saluno22

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400869510

Frost. In 1962 Devaney's Huskers played at Michigan in the 2nd game of the year. Although I was only 2 I always recall reading that Devaney thought that was his biggest victory and gave his new program the momentum it needed.

Of course Frost's Huskers play at Michigan in his 4th game of his new tenure. Could a surprise victory there do similar things? One can hope. :)
Note that he said he read about Devaney's comment, he could have been six or even nine. He was two when it happened.

I was four and don’t remember it either besides pictures and game highlights.

Devaney said so much as say that it a signature win and that win jumped started the program even though Michigan didn’t have a very good team that year Devaney thought they could knock off Michigan and spent some time working on winning this game.

The game was played on September 29th.This year we will play them September 22.

Note that he said he read about Devaney's comment, he could have been six or even nine. He was two when it happened.

"Although I was only 2 I always recall reading"

Nope, nope... He said he was 2...

I know it's taken out of context but it's still funny...

Reactions: timnsun
To the point OP was trying to make. Michigan wasn't a very good in the early 60's and in 62 went 2-7. While at the time they were considered much better then Nebraska a victory this coming season would be bigger IMO..

YEs- correct
But Michigan was considered a blue blood and got more respect than they probably should have. And NU- was really awful- so it was a nice little jump start kinda thing IMO. Plus Devaney was from Michigan- maybe that had something to do with his affinity for the game.

Jennings wasnt a terrible recruiter- he was just a terrible coach. That roster had enough talent to win more games than Jennings got them to. NU benefited from a favorable schedule to start with 6 games vs teams .500 or below records- to get their confidence up (won all 6)- then lost in a close one the next week in Lincoln vs a very good Missouri team- before getting their first quality win against a good KU team the following week.

NU got a very favorable matchup againt Miami in the Gotham Bowl and won it in a great game- so Ive read. Great first year jump forward.

NU wont have a similar schedule in 2018 with the first 6 games including playing a ranked Michigan team in front of 100,000 in Ann Arbor and a top 5 Wisconsin team in Madison.

Hopefully NU cobbles together 6-7 wins then makes it back to New York for the Pinstripe Bowl- gets a good matchup and ends up with 7-8 wins to set Frost up like Devaney did.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I hope the main parallel will be that they both inherited underachieving rosters that were more talented than people realized, and then won big much more quickly than expected.
Smokin
yes
Some erie parallels

Devaney took over from the most inept coach in 57 years (Jennings) (not counting WWII years with few kids in school)

Frost took over from the most inept coach in the following 55 years (Riley)

So both took over from the 2 worst coaches in their halves of a half century+ of Nebraska Football

Crazy stuff
I wonder if way back then if Jennings had apologists making excuses for him after he left and throwing darts at Devaney ( saying he is failing if he didnt win 8-9 games out of the gate) and his fans :D And if so- when did those misguided souls finally give up on their crusade to defend Jennings- after Devaneys first National Title or did it take 2? Or did they loyally triple down like those in the Hitler bunker in his last days and go down with the ship :D

Last edited:
I think the comparison to Devaney is completely believable, but it goes way beyond the Michigan games coincidence. Like Devaney, Frost inherited a once-prominent program that had lost its way and sense of purpose. Like Devaney, Frost inherited an enthusiastic fan base that had high expectations, and wanted change — and also had drivers of change (Regent Clarence Swanson in Devaney’s time, Bill Moos in Frost’s). And like Devaney, Frost inherited some talent — the Cupboard wasn’t and isn’t completely bare. I believe that Frost’s first team will surprise a lot people, and will do far better than eke out 6 or 7 wins as the doom and gloom segment of our fan base expect. They will give Wiscy and OSU a run for their money, if only through physically stronger players, who will play with purpose and swagger. And the blowouts will disappear. I really do expect we will win 9 or 10 games next year.

I love that people are pointing out that he wasn't actually two when he read about the game. Good job! Now, go back to correcting grammar in Facebook posts...

Reactions: timnsun

I was two too, but hadn't started reading yet, so I didn't hear about this until later.

YEs- correct
But Michigan was considered a blue blood and got more respect than they probably should have. And NU- was really awful- so it was a nice little jump start kinda thing IMO. Plus Devaney was from Michigan- maybe that had something to do with his affinity for the game.

Jennings wasnt a terrible recruiter- he was just a terrible coach. That roster had enough talent to win more games than Jennings got them to. NU benefited from a favorable schedule to start with 6 games vs teams .500 or below records- to get their confidence up (won all 6)- then lost in a close one the next week in Lincoln vs a very good Missouri team- before getting their first quality win against a good KU team the following week.

NU got a very favorable matchup againt Miami in the Gotham Bowl and won it in a great game- so Ive read. Great first year jump forward.

NU wont have a similar schedule in 2018 with the first 6 games including playing a ranked Michigan team in front of 100,000 in Ann Arbor and a top 5 Wisconsin team in Madison.

Hopefully NU cobbles together 6-7 wins then makes it back to New York for the Pinstripe Bowl- gets a good matchup and ends up with 7-8 wins to set Frost up like Devaney did.
Excellent historical perspectives. I was old enough to watch it on black/white TV and remember it. Devaney was a native of Michigan plus was an assistant on Michigan State's Duffy Daugherty staff. He was all hyped up to beat the in-state rival Wolverines. He caught them at the right time but it did springboard his program into the national limelight. Hopefully Frost inherits some talent on the roster like Devaney did with Bob Brown, Lloyd Voss, Dennis Claridge,etc. Then the trick is to coach them up. It is an interesting comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT