ADVERTISEMENT

Instant replay

Baxter48

Defensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
has instant replay hurt or helped officiating? The you throw in all the gray areas of rules and you get a lot of yesterday type games. I didn't really care who won. Yesterday sure didn't help the NFLs terrible year

It has ruined me watching football. It can be useful, but as anything else it has been bastardized.

My opinion... You have 30 seconds to determine what the call should be. If it can't be determined in that amount of time you being too anal and move on. When you have enough time to go super slow motion and freeze frame, that is too much time to over analyze the play.

I hate the TDs that they call back to the half inch line, especially when they make it 1st and goal after the replay. 99.9% of the time it still results in a TD and it slows the game down.

Also hate it when the games well in hand and they review plays that didn’t result in a first down, turnover, or TD. If the scores 34-0 in the 4th Q and the review is to see if it should be 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 6, it’s a waste of everyone’s time.

But the absolute worst thing about replay is the required 10 second runoff it’s at the end of the game. Literally cost the Lions a win this year and maybe a playoff spot. They’d have been tied with the Falcons but not sure who’d have had the tie-breaker

Reactions: saluno22
Whats amazing is how often the TV expert disagrees with the eventual call. I agree in the 30 second max and remove slow motion and still shots. If its not a clear reversal, let the call stand.

Also hate it when the games well in hand and they review plays that didn’t result in a first down, turnover, or TD. If the scores 34-0 in the 4th Q and the review is to see if it should be 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 6, it’s a waste of everyone’s time.
I agree.

With all of the analytics, perhaps they should use win probability and Markov points modeling as metrics to measure against when deciding whether to review a play: If the score is "V"-"W" with "X" time left, but the Markov impact "Y" of overturning a call doesn't impact win probability greater than "Z%", then don't bother calling for a review of the play from the booth unless it's a coaches' challenge (and then we can all be pissed at the coach). They would need to eliminate the spread's impact on win probability so it starts even (at 50%) to begin the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT