ADVERTISEMENT

IMO, don't expect Frost to take a grad transfer at QB

ajehealth

Walk On
Mar 4, 2014
First, Urban isn't going to be naming a starter anytime soon according to what was written about the OSU QB race today from OSU sources. Second, Frost isn't going to alter the install after bringing in a new guy that may not fit some aspects of the offense. Third, the QB's on the roster need playing time as they develop. You don't want to screw up the chemistry that the QB room is developing.

By the time all of the members of the 2019 class are on campus in May and June, it is already too late to bring in a new QB in June or July and expect that person to be ready to play. When Oregon took the QB that was finishing the math class over the summer, he was already working on the playbook and out on the field practicing the plays.

We will have 4 QB's on scholarship after this season to go along with a 2019 QB (could even take 2).

Frost has already said publicly that he doesn't want to bring in a grad transfer if he doesn't need to. Gebbia, Bunch and Martinez are able to run the offense.

Neither do it. With Gebbia and Martinez you have two 4 star QBs with great skill sets. Then you have solid player in Bunch. Those 3 alone will be a solid stable of QBs. We ad I’m Noah next year and Then we add a QB this recruiting class hopefully and we are doing fine.

My guess, Gebbia starts this year with Bunch as back and Martinez redshirting (assuming injuries allow for it) and that will at least put two solid year between Martinez and Gebbia. Which is ideal. Interesting part will be the following year with a full season under Gebbia and Martinez belt and then Noah being available to play as well. That will be an interesting battle next go around. Will only make the QBs better.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I personally don’t care. From what I hear, Gebbia and Martinez are actually doing quite well. Our QB position from all reports is not as bad as what Frost originally thought. Martinez isn’t 100% from surgery. He isn’t even 90% like he claims. But, is is doing fantastic. Gebbia is leading, but not by much. I am more then confident in our QB’s.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Gotta love the optimism of preseason.

Every year it's the same old story. The latest unknown gets the highest expectations thrown on them until the first game. Then reality sets in and folks have no end to their criticisms. Not trying to piss in anyones Wheaties here but I could fill a book with all the things I've read on here over the years about how guys are blowing it up in practice. And then a second (much longer) book about how those guys failed to meet people's expectations once they saw the field. Two freshman QBs on scholarship is not an enviable position to be in. Maybe one of these guys will be the second coming of Tim Tebow. But chances are they are going to look like freshman taking their first snaps of D1 football and will need to continue to develop over time.

If AMart redshirts, he will only be one year behind TG.

Two freshman QBs on scholarship is not an enviable position to be in. Maybe one of these guys will be the second coming of Tim Tebow. But chances are they are going to look like freshman taking their first snaps of D1 football and will need to continue to develop over time.
NU started a RS frosh at QB a few years ago who was supposed to play DB and he torched some defenses. NU won 9 games that year. The three guys competing for the job are actual QBs and two are highly regarded.
I think NU will be fine at that psn.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I believe it was said that Urban would make a decision after spring ball because he wanted to give Joe the option if things didn't go his way.

Every year it's the same old story. The latest unknown gets the highest expectations thrown on them until the first game. Then reality sets in and folks have no end to their criticisms. Not trying to piss in anyones Wheaties here but I could fill a book with all the things I've read on here over the years about how guys are blowing it up in practice. And then a second (much longer) book about how those guys failed to meet people's expectations once they saw the field. Two freshman QBs on scholarship is not an enviable position to be in. Maybe one of these guys will be the second coming of Tim Tebow. But chances are they are going to look like freshman taking their first snaps of D1 football and will need to continue to develop over time.

Whoever it is will look like an improvement from last year. Thats the key.

The offense in practice is clicking at a better rate when Vedral is the QB. If he gets cleared he will lead for the starting spot. If not, we will likely be rolling with Gebbia and Martinez will be the backup.

The RB's are getting more production with the new offense.

NU started a RS frosh at QB a few years ago who was supposed to play DB and he torched some defenses. NU won 9 games that year. The three guys competing for the job are actual QBs and two are highly regarded.
I think NU will be fine at that psn.

And for every Taylor Martinez (exceptional to the rule) there's a laundry list of Pat Obriens, Johnny Stantons, Cody Spanos, Brion Carnes and Cody Greens. My point is that there is always a contingent on here that think the new guys coming in will immediately be the answer to all of our problems. Look, I hope as much as anyone that one of these guys runs away with the job, starts for four years and breaks every record in the book. But every year it seems like the same cycle on here. The skies the limit for the unknown guys and then it's usually the same people tossing them under the bus when they're suddenly not all world.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wasn't that the narrative last year? We finally had a "real" qb that fit the system? And he just blew everyone at the Manning Passing Camp?
I thought Lee would be better simply because he was a qb riley actually wanted.
But armstrong was better.
It really will be better next year.
No one is expecting a national championship caliber of qb play tho.

Who is likely to win you more games for N: Burrow, who is in a tight race to start for tOSU, which makes him one of the top 3-4 QBs in the conference, or Gebbia? I hope all of our qbs are world-beaters but to say we don’t need a talented qb cuz we have Gebbia, is short-sighted. I keep hearing about competition and why it’s so important, which it absolutely is. A dude like JB would up the ante, talent level, and competition, big time. Why wouldn’t u (esp coming off a 4-8 season without a single qb who has actually played in a game) pursue someone who could potentially/likely be your most talented player at the position??

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT