ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate BIG man help for the basketball team?

Serious question. I've seen some guys come play pickup ball who wrestled in high school and played football in college who could flat out ball and you did NOT dare take the ball to the hoop on them. They would get their body in front of you and it was like hitting a wall. I watched one 6-5 kid (wrestler) take off down the court, dribble once behind his back to pass a defender then go up and slam the ball over somebody. Dude could play. All I'm talking about though is A big body to eat fouls and clog the lane against teams who want to pound you down low. 6-8 to 6-9 > 250lbs just there to eat some space at times. Hopefully Hoiberg can find a guy via transfer who can play right away but man we have to get a big body.
Fred doesn't really care about enforcer type players. He wants all five to be able to handle the ball and score. You will be lamenting until the day Fred is no longer the coach here about the need for a big man. It may be the common theme amount Fred's tenure just like it was in Ames. Get used to it.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Fred doesn't really care about enforcer type players. He wants all five to be able to handle the ball and score. You will be lamenting until the day Fred is no longer the coach here about the need for a big man. It may be the common theme amount Fred's tenure just like it was in Ames. Get used to it.
IF Fred can get a 6-8+ guy who can run the floor, shoot AND is strong enough to police the paint, he'll use him. Those guys are the hardest player to find in basketball. I'm quite sure he didn't bring in those transfer players a week or so ago so he could see how they would look sitting on the bench in PBA. Fred knows he has to have some size to play in the B1G.

IF Fred can get a 6-8+ guy who can run the floor, shoot AND is strong enough to police the paint, he'll use him. Those guys are the hardest player to find in basketball. I'm quite sure he didn't bring in those transfer players a week or so ago so he could see how they would look sitting on the bench in PBA. Fred knows he has to have some size to play in the B1G.

I think we all know we have to have some size to contend in the B1G not just Hoieberg...

That is ONE of the reasons Timmy couldn’t get it done..

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think we all know we have to have some size to contend in the B1G not just Hoieberg...

That is ONE of the reasons Timmy couldn’t get it done..
Red I 73 keeps saying Fred doesn't want "enforcers" but multiple people have listed the BIGs that Fred had ISU. No doubt a BIG who can put the ball in the hoop from the perimeter is a huge want, but ultimately you have to be able to match up to some degree to the physicality of the B1G or you'll get run over. Watching our games this year it amazed me how much physically stronger across the board our opponents were than us. From 1 to 5 we got pushed around most of the time. Minnesota's Murphy proved you don't have to be 6-11 to play in the paint. He made up for his lack of height with strength, savvy and athleticism. Heck Borchardt played pretty well but just wasn't athletic enough most of the time to stay with opposing bigs.

Reactions: scarletred
He is visiting with Cam Mack and a 6 9 french kid this weekend.
All I hear is crickets on basketball......Pavelka said 2 weeks ago that he thought there would be a lot of news of new recruits in the "next couple of weeks". Man we need a big man or two who can play right away.

All I hear is crickets on basketball......Pavelka said 2 weeks ago that he thought there would be a lot of news of new recruits in the "next couple of weeks". Man we need a big man or two who can play right away.
Is it possible Pavelka could be a blowhard?

Give it time. Keeping Green in the fold was pretty big news, even though he isn't a new recruit.

We have 2 big men who can play right away visiting this weekend. Along with the best JUCO point guard in the country.

“Source: Utah grad transfer Jayce Johnson will visit Nebraska this weekend. Immediately eligible. Averaged 7.1 PPG and 7.7 RPG last season. 7-footer.”

Literally a huge pick up if we can pull him in.

Is it possible Pavelka could be a blowhard?

Give it time. Keeping Green in the fold was pretty big news, even though he isn't a new recruit.
Green could potentially carry a team to some wins just with his offensive punch. Still need a couple of bigs BADLY and they'll start finding homes pretty quickly now.

“Source: Utah grad transfer Jayce Johnson will visit Nebraska this weekend. Immediately eligible. Averaged 7.1 PPG and 7.7 RPG last season. 7-footer.”

Literally a huge pick up if we can pull him in.
Have seen Johnson play a number of times. Would not describe him as a huge pickup, but he will at least provide some size and some good board strength until Hoiberg can assemble better talent.

Here are the 3 visitors for this weekend.
Jayce Johnson
Cam Mack
Yvan Quedraogo

Here is another who visited last weekend and was reported to have a good visit.
Matej Kavas
Haanif Cheatham and D'Andre Davis also visited last weekend.
Maurice Calloo and a couple UNLV transfers also visited recently. One of the UNLV transfers has since declared for the draft, with the option of pulling out of the draft and either staying at UNLV or transferring.

Reactions: artguy68
Here are the 3 visitors for this weekend.
Jayce Johnson
Cam Mack
Yvan Quedraogo

Here is another who visited last weekend and was reported to have a good visit.
Matej Kavas
Haanif Cheatham and D'Andre Davis also visited last weekend.
Maurice Calloo and a couple UNLV transfers also visited recently. One of the UNLV transfers has since declared for the draft, with the option of pulling out of the draft and either staying at UNLV or transferring.

Dalano Banton, 6'8 transfer also visiting this weekend

Reactions: kaz36
Follow Robin Washut on Twitter for basketball recruiting updates. They are putting in crazy work. We are in talks with all the top Jucos and transfers and making inroads at the high school level. Big things are on the way.

I don't normally like to put too much stock into highlight reels, but Cross looks impressive on film. Incredible passer and good ball-handling and shooting skills for a kid his size. Like a bigger, stronger Georges Niang. Get him in the weight room and he could be a monster.

I don't normally like to put too much stock into highlight reels, but Cross looks impressive on film. Incredible passer and good ball-handling and shooting skills for a kid his size. Like a bigger, stronger Georges Niang. Get him in the weight room and he could be a monster.

He had me at 6-8, 240. Any kid that size who can move his feet would be a welcome addition. Any offense would be gravy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT