ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate BIG man help for the basketball team?

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Is there any chance Fred could talk Allen (6-8), Benhart (6-9) or Neal (6-7) to play some basketball after the regular football season is over. Man we need an enforcer in the middle. I realize that Benhart was a wrestler in high school but the guys I hated to play against in pick up games the most were wrestlers. They always could move their feet and they were brutal in the paint. They don't have to shoot, just defend the paint and rebound. Can you imagine having a 300lber in the paint? Yikes. Enter at your own risk. I know, dumb idea but hey it worked for the Utah Jazz with Mark Eaton back in the day.

Reactions: husker2612
It sounds like Hoiberg's not all that interested in having that type of player on the floor. The "big" will be a stretch 4 that can shoot. And they're probably not going to play much defense anyway! It will be interesting to see that style against all the grind and pound of the BIG.

It sounds like Hoiberg's not all that interested in having that type of player on the floor. The "big" will be a stretch 4 that can shoot. And they're probably not going to play much defense anyway! It will be interesting to see that style against all the grind and pound of the BIG.
At some point you have to somebody who can defend the post. If you don't Purdue's center or a like player is going to dunk on you every time down the floor. I'm not talking about a huge piece of your roster, just a walk on who doesn't count against the scholarship limit who can come in and give you some fouls and a presence when needed.

Is there any chance Fred could talk Allen (6-8), Benhart (6-9) or Neal (6-7) to play some basketball after the regular football season is over. Man we need an enforcer in the middle. I realize that Benhart was a wrestler in high school but the guys I hated to play against in pick up games the most were wrestlers. They always could move their feet and they were brutal in the paint. They don't have to shoot, just defend the paint and rebound. Can you imagine having a 300lber in the paint? Yikes. Enter at your own risk. I know, dumb idea but hey it worked for the Utah Jazz with Mark Eaton back in the day.

Is this a serious question, or are you drunk?

eligible right away? All I'm talking about is for this season. I have no doubt that Hoiberg will find some big bodies for next year.
VT transfer should be eligible, his coach left which I believe means players can leave and remain eligible? Don't quote me on that but I believe that was a new change to the rule?

He is eligible right away because his coach left. He is also testing the NBA waters.

It is sort of a dumb idea but not overly far fetched. Do you all remember Keith Neubert from back in the mid-80's. He was sort of the Bill Laimbeer enforcer on the basketball team with very little basketball skill if I remember correctly. I think his job was to get in the paint and knock opponents around. He went on to play tight end for the football team his senior year and actually got drafted in the NFL. He played several years. He went onto a few movies and tv. Weird how some dudes just get after it and figure out a way to succeed.
MV5BNWIwZmM3Y2EtZDQ1NC00NzUwLWI1MjEtZDQ3YjMxYzA5N2YxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

It is sort of a dumb idea but not overly far fetched. Do you all remember Keith Neubert from back in the mid-80's. He was sort of the Bill Laimbeer enforcer on the basketball team with very little basketball skill if I remember correctly. I think his job was to get in the paint and knock opponents around. He went on to play tight end for the football team his senior year and actually got drafted in the NFL. He played several years. He went onto a few movies and tv. Weird how some dudes just get after it and figure out a way to succeed.
Played the dentist Charlize Theron fell for in That Thing You Do. That's a career highlight I certainly can't match.

Reactions: resdog851
Fred's an NBA coach, Centers are going extinct in that league. I dont expect us to need a dominant post
That, and with Doc as the "defensive coordinator," this team will know how to double big men low, if needed, and then sprint back out to the perimeter when the ball goes back outside.

Those guys need to be laser focused on FB for their sports activity.

With Benhart being a wrestler, he would foul out in about 5 minutes.

Reactions: RedSea
dingleberry or whatever you call yourself, what drugs are you on or are you just that stupid. you want a grappler who has no roundball experience to come into the big 10 and play. might be the most idiotic statement or question on this board ever. seriously dings, wake up and live in the real world.

So basically Iowa’s style? Frans teams score points just can’t stop anyone.

At some point you have to somebody who can defend the post. If you don't Purdue's center or a like player is going to dunk on you every time down the floor. I'm not talking about a huge piece of your roster, just a walk on who doesn't count against the scholarship limit who can come in and give you some fouls and a presence when needed.

If we are doing it right, traditional bigs will be on the bench because they won’t be able to keep up with the pace FH wants to play at.

Not only that a lot of wrestlers don’t have basketball coordination..
I have seen some former wrestlers who never played hoops in high school go toe to toe with former professional basketball players. IF they can move their feet, which good wrestlers normally can, they can play defense and rebound. Have you watched basketball lately? All it is is a glorified wrestling match down in the paint.

Is this a serious question, or are you drunk?
Serious question. I've seen some guys come play pickup ball who wrestled in high school and played football in college who could flat out ball and you did NOT dare take the ball to the hoop on them. They would get their body in front of you and it was like hitting a wall. I watched one 6-5 kid (wrestler) take off down the court, dribble once behind his back to pass a defender then go up and slam the ball over somebody. Dude could play. All I'm talking about though is A big body to eat fouls and clog the lane against teams who want to pound you down low. 6-8 to 6-9 > 250lbs just there to eat some space at times. Hopefully Hoiberg can find a guy via transfer who can play right away but man we have to get a big body.

Serious question. I've seen some guys come play pickup ball who wrestled in high school and played football in college who could flat out ball and you did NOT dare take the ball to the hoop on them. They would get their body in front of you and it was like hitting a wall. I watched one 6-5 kid (wrestler) take off down the court, dribble once behind his back to pass a defender then go up and slam the ball over somebody. Dude could play. All I'm talking about though is A big body to eat fouls and clog the lane against teams who want to pound you down low. 6-8 to 6-9 > 250lbs just there to eat some space at times. Hopefully Hoiberg can find a guy via transfer who can play right away but man we have to get a big body.
Looks like we are in on a 7ft grad transfer from Utah. And a number of others in the 6 9+ range. I like Matt A's chances to get us a big. That will also help in securing Roby

dingleberry or whatever you call yourself, what drugs are you on or are you just that stupid. you want a grappler who has no roundball experience to come into the big 10 and play. might be the most idiotic statement or question on this board ever. seriously dings, wake up and live in the real world.
We have a couple of big guys on the football team who did in fact play high school basketball. They would be no more of a stretch than Borchardt was. THAT said, I actually have been on some good drugs. Nice of you to ask. Codeine and/or Hydrocodan depending on the hour of the day. Picked up a nasty respiratory virus about 10 days ago which turned in to pneumonia this week. Had one night where I just wanted it over. Either get better or die. I just didn't care all that much which way it went at that point. So Sporty, don't take things too seriously. It's all in fun. Calling people idiots should be below a man of your stature.Winking

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT