ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois roster talent

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
While not any comprehensive assessment,
I wondered how it could be that Illinois is performing so well.

The article linked below makes it seem they lost as much or more talent than they brought in this past year via transfers.
2021 transfer rankings per 247 had Nebraska at #7 and Illinois at #96.

Additionally- their recruiting class rankings per Rivals were
2022: 41 (0 four stars)
2021: 71 (0 four stars)
2020: 90 (1 four star)
2019: 73 (2 four stars)
*meanwhile, Nebraska classes ranked in the Top 20 most those years.

Other teams fit a similar profile, but my assessment of what leads to success is 1. proper scouting of talent, 2. roster development, and 3. coaching schematics/discipline.
All 3 elements point right back to who your coaches are.

https://pantagraph.com/sports/colle...cle_f02f7e8e-0557-11ed-baa4-23ebdc6eed60.html

Last edited:

The article linked below makes it seem they lost as much or more talent than they brought in this past year.
Their recruiting class rankings per Rivals were

It may not capture all of the transfer of talent in or out, but still.

Other teams fit a similar profile, but my assessment of what leads to success is 1. proper scouting of talent, 2. roster development, and 3. coaching schematics/discipline.

https://pantagraph.com/sports/colle...cle_f02f7e8e-0557-11ed-baa4-23ebdc6eed60.html
Didn’t they pick up some good players through the portal?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Didn’t they pick up some good players through the portal?
They may have landed a few guys a couple years ago, but that article makes it seem like they didn’t add much this past year, particularly on defense, compared to what they lost, but their defense is obviously clicking.

We also picked up a couple top guys from the portal on defense in Mathis and Hill, plus Drew and Wynn.

Does it account for how they did in the portal? The portal could arguably be a more important recruiting base than HS. (See A&M) with Jimbo or how Sparty did with the portal last season.

One thing for sure, Bert Enema is just as good as player development inus Arkansas) as he is ruining large pizzas and other fatty foods.

Does it account for how they did in the portal? The portal could arguably be a more important recruiting base than HS. (See A&M) with Jimbo or how Sparty did with the portal last season.

One thing for sure, Bert Enema is just as good as player development inus Arkansas) as he is ruining large pizzas and other fatty foods.
I didn’t clarify the linked article in the OP makes it seem like there was no windfall of upgrades via transfers this last year at least, compared to what they lost. (fixed in OP now)

Last edited:

And look at A&M

The article linked below makes it seem they lost as much or more talent than they brought in this past year via transfers.

On the plus side they had Lovie evaluating and then developing those 3 star recruits . I also don’t believe they’ve lost the volume of 3 and 4 star recruits that Frost did.

Reactions: HominidHusker
On the plus side they had Lovie evaluating and then developing those 3 star recruits . I also don’t believe they’ve lost the volume of 3 and 4 star recruits that Frost did.
I don’t blame Frost for all of the transfers, but there’s likely some blame when it comes to targeting and vetting players, building relationships, and helping them adapt and settle in. Without knowing any specifics, one could assume a few transfers could have been prevented.

I don’t blame Frost for all of the transfers, but there’s likely some blame when it comes to targeting and vetting players, building relationships, and helping them adapt and settle in. Without knowing any specifics, one could assume a few transfers could have been prevented.
If the rumors are true about Frosts dysfunctional leadership, I’ll put the majority of the blame on him for the transfers.

If the rumors are true about Frosts dysfunctional leadership, I’ll put the majority of the blame on him for the transfers.
Agree.

Early when Lindsey, Gebbia, QB Patrick, Bell, the tall TE (?), and LB (?) left, then Wandale, MO, and a few others, most of the transfers haven't done much.

It could be a combination of poor talent evaluation, but if NU had been developing young players like a normal school, NU may not be in this large of a mess regarding depth.

Agree.

Early when Lindsey, Gebbia, QB Patrick, Bell, the tall TE (?), and LB (?) left, then Wandale, MO, and a few others, most of the transfers haven't done much.

It could be a combination of poor talent evaluation, but if NU had been developing young players like a normal school, NU may not be in this large of a mess regarding depth.
There clearly appears to be a lack of shear numbers at linebacker to make up for the transfers.

Reactions: king_kong_
We can win this game. But we have to avoid stupid mistakes.
Well, sure on the avoidance of mistakes. But that's a given. The gawd-awful-worst tackling team in America needs to figure out that two-handed shoving in the general direction of the sideline has to stop. Seriously, we have no chance of winning this game if they don't tackle better than the Purdue game.

Unless Frost and staff were the most God awful talent evaluators on the planet, then there's talent on this team and the rankings show it. We're seeing the results of going on 5 years of zero player development.

Unless Frost and staff were the most God awful talent evaluators on the planet, then there's talent on this team and the rankings show it. We're seeing the results of going on 5 years of zero player development.
Agreed. There could be a few busts, but many of our players had solid offer lists, so there’s no way we only picked up the duds.
And yet, we watch school after school put out more impressive teams with far less paper talent across the board.
Sometimes we fuss about injuries, but every team deals with injuries.

Reactions: oldjar07

Misleading. Neb is 42nd on average with the adjusted transfers. Which is below where we’ll rank normally. I think our new norm is the 30 range.

Misleading. Neb is 42nd on average with the adjusted transfers. Which is below where we’ll rank normally. I think our new norm is the 30 range.
Does that include our transfers in? Or only transfers out? We’ve done ok with transfers in (e.g. #7 this year).

Even with recruiting in the 30’s and 40’s, many of our team stats land anywhere from the 60’s to 100’s.
*Currently #66 total offense and #106 total defense

Adding 2 JC OL and Devito at QB was huge for Illinois. Also Illini depth is fairly non-existent and so far (knock on wood) have avoided too many significant injuries.

You should also consider their pathetic opponents thus far

11? Are you counting edge guys as linebacker’s?
No.
I threw in Caleb for the fun of it. LOL
The rosters list these 11 LBs which include Nick:

Va, Gbayor, Malcolm, Luke, Kpai, Kolarevic, Snodgrass, Archer, Tagge, Hausmann, Nick. (11)

I can see where my original post was confusing.

You should also consider their pathetic opponents thus far
Ha! I figured this comment was coming from you.
I agree they don’t have the most impressive resume, so may be a bit overrated. However, they’ve mostly handled their business.
We also had a pretty easy schedule and shat the bed.
I’m not fanning over Illinois as much as I am jealous that so many schools, some like Illinois with newer coaches, can actually develop a team from nothing and win some games.
Hoping we can have a coach who can get our team prepared.

No.
I threw in Caleb for the fun of it. LOL
The rosters list these 11 LBs which include Nick:

Va, Gbayor, Malcolm, Luke, Kpai, Kolarevic, Snodgrass, Archer, Tagge, Hausmann, Nick. (11)

I can see where my original post was confusing.
I didn’t see Gbayir on the roster and I guess I discounted 190 to 200 lb guys. That’s a freaking safety size. Where’s the 225lb plus run stoppers that can run a little bit is my concern. I think Jay Foreman played at about 230 back in the day. Granted he wasn’t a 4.5 guy but damn I’m not surprised I guess that RBs break tackles when we’re as small as we look on paper. Is it just the lack of Boyd’s “vitamins”??

Tannor is listed as SLB on the depth chart.
The old roster I looked at on Huskers.com had him listed at edge. I can’t help but wonder why we don’t have more guys his size to play inside backer.

The old roster I looked at on Huskers.com had him listed at edge. I can’t help but wonder why we don’t have more guys his size to play inside backer.
The roster I looked at had Gbayor listed as an LB, and Caleb as EDGE.
I saw the same thing, some undersized LBs that likely couldn't stand up to the physicality of this level of football.

With the EDGE guys, except for Caleb, they all seem too big and probably don't run well enough to help out at LB.

Not a good roster situation especially with a lot of young kids and a couple of older ones banged up. I'm surprised Snodgrass hasn't been able to make any type of move, surely he knows the defense.

When you aren't at the top of recruiting it matters less IMO. Cutting hairs on players...

Illinois QB is from the portal
Illinois RB is from the portal
Illinoi's second best WR is from the portal

Otherwise they have just recruited and coached them up IN A TERRIBLE DIVISION.

The roster I looked at had Gbayor listed as an LB, and Caleb as EDGE.
I saw the same thing, some undersized LBs that likely couldn't stand up to the physicality of this level of football.

With the EDGE guys, except for Caleb, they all seem too big and probably don't run well enough to help out at LB.

Not a good roster situation especially with a lot of young kids and a couple of older ones banged up. I'm surprised Snodgrass hasn't been able to make any type of move, surely he knows the defense.
I do realize that some of the young guys might be bigger now than what they came to camp but normally you don’t get bigger during the season and classes

Been watching the defensive snaps on youtube. Tannor is lining up in a variety of spots. He was recruited as an OLB in a 3-4. Given the program never recruited competently enough to run a 3-4, Tannor became kind of a tweener.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT