ADVERTISEMENT

ICYMI - Trent Dilfer is the UAB Coach

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
after only playing in the NFL and coaching in high school

was never a GA, intern, quality control person, position coach, coordinator, anything

just jumped straight to the front of the line

was hired November 30th, 3 days prior to Deion taking the CU job

why no pearl clutching? color me all sorts of confused

Wow, I had not actually heard that to be honest.

Is he hocking UAB hoodies? Does he have a sweet catch phrase yet? ("We commin" already taken). Has he published an embarrassing Tweet yet making fun of a school with 100X the tradition of his current school?

Should be an interesting story, I will tune in from time to time to see how this hire ages.

Is he hocking UAB hoodies? Does he have a sweet catch phrase yet? ("We commin" already taken). Has he published an embarrassing Tweet yet making fun of a school with 100X the tradition of his current school?

Should be an interesting story, I will tune in from time to time to see how this hire ages.
program was on the brink of being eliminated by the school not too long ago

been to 5 straight bowls, including an 11-win season season & top 25 finish in 2018

an infinitely better program than the one Prime took over

why no belly aching? it doesn't make sense (it makes perfect sense)

Reactions: NikkiSixx

But does he have…
Drag Race Purse GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

been to 5 straight bowls, including an 11-win season season & top 25 finish in 2018

I am not sure most people even knew this happened, I didn't...and UAB is a pretty long ways away from a Pac 12 school, and Trent hasn't made it all about him yet. So I agree, it makes perfect sense, but not in the way you think it does...and I am typing this with a smile (I'm saying I'm not picking a fight here, we're good). I'm glad you posted this....I have also seen Trent on camera enough to know he has the brain of a coach and comes across in a much less abrasive way and a school like UAB would have been a perfect spot for Deion and if he had gone there instead, there'd prolly be a lot less fans calling Deion out for acting like a douche so far...lastly, did Trent call the whole team in and tel them they were all fired? Certainly you can see the difference here. I can.

Correction: UAB football was eliminated after 2014 and didn't play for two seasons.

Did this thread go like you had planned OP? Maybe it isn’t a big topic on this board, because we don’t have countless posts proclaiming Trent Dilfer will take over and dominate college football, just because he is so cool. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Maybe because he's not a self promoting douche bag?
Maybe

I’m sure espn had to beg Dilfer to be a talking head all those years

I’m sure his weekly appearances on the Ryen Russillo show - talking about his high school team & his view of college football - weren’t his idea

I’m sure starting Elite 11 was just because he loves the kids

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I think he will be a great coach. The dude knows his stuff. He was one of those players who had to be a better thinker than the rest. He talent was above average in talent so he had to have a better brain power to beat the competition. He has some great insights into the game. For them (UAB), I think this will prove to be a home run hire.

Did this thread go like you had planned OP? Maybe it isn’t a big topic on this board, because we don’t have countless posts proclaiming Trent Dilfer will take over and dominate college football, just because he is so cool. Just a thought.
I’m always pleased to point my fellow board members toward info they didn’t have before, so, yes

I am kind of surprised your line skipping stance does not apply here, however

I’m going to go with the time at high school was growing the at program and it ended better than the comparison with Coach Prime.

UAB and Colorado aren’t the same level of program, though UAB would have been likely favored this past year.

While you have to have a healthy ego to play QB, Coach Prime has shown his ego is far surpassed anything Dilfer could have ever had.

The perception between the two men is that one is more qualified and competent to do the X/O’s than the other who is more than qualified in the media and press and promotion side of the coaching experience.

Sanders college teams had recruitment classes that well exceeded those in the conference he played in and against the non conference opponents as well. When the talent is more equalized, the perception is that Coach Prime will have to have a better qualified and competent staff to install game plans and make in game adjustments than likely Coach Dilfer will in similar situations.

I’m sure you’ll have excellent counter points and I will enjoy them but this is what would be the initial impressions between the two hires you’re asking about.

I’m always pleased to point my fellow board members toward info they didn’t have before, so, yes

I am kind of surprised your line skipping stance does not apply here, however

I would have the same belief. That his coaching experience, totaling 3 years as a high school coach, makes hiring him a risky proposition and anyone declaring him a huge success and destined for greatness, before he even coaches a college game, is getting way ahead of themselves.

Last edited:
I would have the same belief. That his coaching experience, totaling 3 years as a high school coach, makes hiring him a risky proposition and anyone declaring him a huge success and destined for greatness, before he even coaches a college game, is getting way ahead of themselves.
no outright declarations of hope for failure?

no personal dirty laundry?

certainly you cannot believe UAB to be his end goal. how dare he use a program in such a way for personal gain?

where's the outrage?

no outright declarations of hope for failure?

no personal dirty laundry?

certainly you cannot believe UAB to be his end goal. how dare he use a program in such a way for personal gain?

where's the outrage?

I’ve been pretty consistent in my stance, maybe Dilfer doesn’t have the fan boys to run to his rescue when someone questions his coaching background like “Coach Prime”? Wonder why?

Where are all the proclamations of how amazing Dilfer will be, after all he is a Super Bowl winning QB and an Elite 11 coach. Is he not destined for greatness too? Is something somehow different?

WOOOT! Trent Dizzy in the hizzy! Head of the class. First on the bus. First in line at the drinking fountain. And no man purses here boys, just a big burly manly Duluth Trading shaving bag. Wishing him nothing but success.

I’ve been pretty consistent in my stance, maybe Dilfer doesn’t have the fan boys to run to his rescue when someone questions his coaching background like “Coach Prime”? Wonder why?

Where are all the proclamations of how amazing Dilfer will be, after all he is a Super Bowl winning QB and an Elite 11 coach. Is he not destined for greatness too? Is something somehow different?
I agree

where are the proclamations? surely you must have several easily quotable ones about Deion twisted in your panties?

I'd like to see those when it's convenient for you, because I really don't see a difference between Dilfer's hire & Deion's based on resume, so you can see how the wildly different reactions can be a little confusing.

in fact, it's not a stretch at all to say Dilfer is less qualified for his new post than Prime is for CU. yet, crickets.

look, I love everyone on this board but to act like the ridiculous hate spewed toward Deion is based on anything but personal feelings is - wait for it -

objectively hilarious

hope I'm old enough to point that out

I don't think anyone hates Deion....he has given us plenty to laugh at, and we are laughing at him....and because of how he treated his players at CU when he took over, I am rooting for a 10 car pile up and will strain my neck looking at it for as long as I can. Be honest Kong, did you order one of his hoodies by chance? I don't get it. Weird hill to die on.

Was kept pretty quiet press wise…
Which hiring are you referring to? The Media and the slobbering was roughly the same for each I thought.

Success at UAB is a lower threshold than at a P5 school. If he has a serious of 6,7,8 win seasons and the players graduate and stay out of trouble, he will be a success there. For Coach Prime the way he is being brought in, I don’t foresee the media doing anything but glowing reviews for everything he does until he moves on past Colorado, unless the police blotter is full of Prime’s players.

Reactions: king_kong_
look, I love everyone on this board but to act like the ridiculous hate spewed toward Deion is based on anything but personal feelings is - wait for it -

objectively hilarious

hope I'm old enough to point that out
I always like to know how old the person is that's trying to give me advice.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT