ADVERTISEMENT

I was at the last game against Colorado

Seriously, though, we can point to the end of Nebraska football as we knew it — specifically 62-36 in 2001. CU can point to the end of CU football as they knew it as the hiring of Dan Hawkins after Barnett was run of out town following the 2005 season. The 2010 game — coached by Brian Cabral — was simply the denouement to that tragedy. The hiring of a second Coach Mac (this one less pious and annoyingly self-righteous) looks like it might get them back to a consistent level of respectability and competitiveness. We're hoping the hiring of a native son will get us back to competing for national championships. Let the game begin.

Seriously, though, we can point to the end of Nebraska football as we knew it — specifically 62-36 in 2001. CU can point to the end of CU football as they knew it as the hiring of Dan Hawkins after Barnett was run of out town following the 2005 season. The 2010 game — coached by Brian Cabral — was simply the denouement to that tragedy. The hiring of a second Coach Mac (this one less pious and annoyingly self-righteous) looks like it might get them back to a consistent level of respectability and competitiveness. We're hoping the hiring of a native son will get us back to competing for national championships. Let the game begin.
Could be argued the decline of Husker football began when TO retired. And subsequent coach hirings and firings by good ole NU haven't helped. However none of that matters now. Nebraska is going to kick butt this Saturday (provided the game is played).

Reactions: Bruce1981
Could be argued the decline of Husker football began when TO retired. And subsequent coach hirings and firings by good ole NU haven't helped. However none of that matters now. Nebraska is going to kick butt this Saturday (provided the game is played).
I would say hiring Steve P.

I would say hiring Steve P.
That didn't help. It doesn't matter now, no bearing on the game this Saturday. Nebraska football seems to finally be in competent hands again.

Now then, I do believe this will be a good game. I just gotta give the Fluffalo fans crap. I mean, come on the last time we played we beat them 45 - 17 using a running back at QB most of the game.

I'll go one step backward: Bill Byrne leaving for Texas A&M. Led not only to Steve Pederson and the football program decline, but Byrne subsequently hired Rob Childress away from the baseball program.
I almost said losing dollar bill. Good point on childress

Reactions: saluno22
I almost said losing dollar bill. Good point on childress
I'm not saying Childress wouldn't have gone somewhere else, the fact Childress left for A&M with our former AD was salt in the wound.

Byrne hanging around the 2005 Big 12 baseball tournament until Nebraska was done (lost in round 1 to #8 seed then reeled off 5 straight wins to claim the title) without A&M qualifying was just strange. We get it, he's the guy you want.

Reactions: huskerfan66
62-36 was just inconvenient timing for a program already in decline. 1 game doesn't shut down a program. CU just like to hang their hat on that game. Probably moreso than their title* in 90.

62-36 was just inconvenient timing for a program already in decline. 1 game doesn't shut down a program. CU just like to hang their hat on that game. Probably moreso than their title* in 90.
I agree that the foundation was weakening, but that game symbolizes, IMO, the collapse. We were 11-0 and ranked # 1 at the time, and have never recovered.

Miami was the best team in the country by the end of 1990. They would have crushed cu in that OB.

Or it could be argued that Steve Pederson agenda of hiring Dave Wannsdt fell through the cracks and ending up hiring Bill Callahan as the demise of Nebraska football as we know it..

Or it could be argued that Steve Pederson agenda of hiring Dave Wannsdt fell through the cracks and ending up hiring Bill Callahan as the demise of Nebraska football as we know it..
Maybe, but I don’t think Wannstedt would’ve been too much better than Callahan was. He never did anything as a head coach anywhere he went. In my opinion.

I have seen my share of Nebraska Colorado games live:

I was at the 2000 game where CU had a two point conversion with 30 seconds left to take the lead... they dribble a kickoff to Dietrich who smartly darted up field and into good field position. Crouch to Newcombe in field goal range and Josh Brown hits a chip shot to win as time expired.

I was there in 2002, when we were having our worst season in 40 years. They blew us out the year before and we need revenge to somewhat salvage our season. It was not meant to be and after leading 13-7 in the Third Quarter, they score three TDs and win easily 28-13. Felt really down after this game.. maybe the worst I had felt as a husker fan to that point.

I was there in 2004, when were were having an EVEN WORSE SEASON than in 2002. Still, if we beat Colorado, we could have gone bowling. Instead, we Cally-balled our way to a big deficit and then our comeback bid failed. First losing season in forever, and no bowl game for first time in 35 years.

I was there in 2006 when we maybe operating at our peak for the Callahan era. We were on our way to the big 12 championship and ran a bunch of trick plays in this game to make Oklahoma think. Ganz to Defensive End Barry Turner for a touchdown. Brandon Jackson had 40 touches in a blowout. We were looking dangerous!

I was there in 2008 when we almost gave the game away. We did a fake field goal where we ran the exact same play the week before and got busted... ending up in a super easy Colorado touchdown. This had all the trappings of one of "those" games under Pelini where we played down to a bad opponent. We were in FG range but farted around almost out of range. Luckily Alex Henery saved the day and Suh added an exclamation point with his pick six. Colorado would have been bowl eligible with a victory, but the Hawkins era was not meant to be.

Finally, I was there in 2010 for our final regular season Big 12 game. Cody Green was starting so I was pretty nervous... luckily, we ran wildcat with Rex for almost the whole game en route to a big blowout. Was a fitting end.

I will be there on Saturday! Hope to add another Big W

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT