ADVERTISEMENT

I need some help w/ a question on property lines

mike513

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2009
So... to set the stage, I have a neighbor who is bat sh*t crazy. The guy has literally told me he was best friends w/ Chris Kyle but he has more confirmed kills than he did. He was on a mission a few months ago and his chopper was shot down and he was the lone survivor, etc., etc., etc. For a visual, this guy is about 60 and look like sonic the hedgehog.

Now to the pertinent point of my post. Said neighbor has been in the process of building what amounts to a draft fence between our home and his for the past two years. Over these two years he's managed to put in the posts and a few cross beams which I suspect he's using so the posts don't warp. Now, I have NO issue with a fence however, the fact that it's been under construction for two years and looks like shit is begining to grate on my nerves. Also, it's about 12' tall and the city ordinance clearly states it can't be over 8'. I am not going to push that point until (if ever) he completes the project.

My concern now is this. I cam home from a trip last Thursday and he had survey crew marking the property line. Turns out, the corner of the fence extends about 12 inches onto my property before angling back onto his. He pulled the stake hoping I hadn't seen it but I did and took some photos. When I confronted him about it he got more than a little pissed off.

All that to say this -- how big of issue is it if I don't have him move the fence? I've heard some horror stories about people not being able to close on homes for similar instances. To address it, should I handle on my own or is this something y'all recommend I address with my attorney? Is selling this portion of the property to him and option?

Thanks all!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.