ADVERTISEMENT

I Love The First Minute of This From Rhule

Losing so many close games over the past 8 years is indeed an indication of a losing culture that simply does not know how to win close games. In particular, our teams have choked at the end of games making stupid mistakes. I think in some ways the environment at Nebraska creates an enormous pressure on the players to win games. I think we have the athletic tools to turn it around this year. But do we have the culture and mental tools to win those close games?

The Colorado game this Fall is a case in point. I am very worried about that game simply because I want to win that game, and so do most other fans, more than I have wanted us to win a game since Texas in Lincoln in 2010. The scenario is similar. Seeking to avenge the controversial loss to Texas in 2009, and having the best overall talent any Pelini team had, the fan hype and overall environment for that Texas 2010 game was off the charts. And Texas ended up not being all that good that year. But we played nervous and tight, TMart had a wretched game, and we layed a big steaming turd on the field that day. I think the players were wound too tightly and were too nervous. I fear that the CU game this year could be the same --- unless this year is different. Unless Rhule can get them to shut out all the hype and have confidence they can play with passion and beat those asshats.

To me, one of the most important games this year will be the first one against UTEP. I would love the Huskers to come out and beat them in blowout fashion to set the tone and confidence of this team going forward. From a psychological and cultural standpoint, I think this is important.

If they come out stumbling around and barely win or even lose...oh boy.

They need to win above all, but a decisive win would be huge in setting the tone and letting us know the program is finally headed in the right direction.

It's nice to see accountability and high standards being pushed and upheld.
well, not quite upheld

if they were being upheld, there would be no need for this sermon

seniors who have never been to a bowl game - be better!

well, not quite upheld

if they were being upheld, there would be no need for this sermon

seniors who have never been to a bowl game - be better!
Didn't I read where a couple of new guys at WR had to tell a senior to keep going? That's what I'm thinking about senior leadership. It can't just be one guy at one position. It has to be a culture of now it's our turn to show the new guys how to play the Nebraska way. That's kind of why I say that we need to be patient with Coach Rhule. Lumping him in with Riley and Frost is not fair. He's not going to be able to insta-recruit his way out of this mess. Let Deion try that at CU. Long term, Coach Rhule has to build depth, promote competition and foster leadership. This has to be something that is sustainable here at Nebraska.

I want to win as much as anyone. As we get more depth, watch for players to get benched when they take plays off or don't finish. We can't stop recruiting just because we got a blue chipper at a positon. If they get injured, who's going to step up? If they don't execute, who's going to challenge them for playing time? I think this will be exciting watching this all come together. Kinda bummed about Teddy. But we get to watch the start of the Raiola era!

To me, one of the most important games this year will be the first one against UTEP. I would love the Huskers to come out and beat them in blowout fashion to set the tone and confidence of this team going forward. From a psychological and cultural standpoint, I think this is important.

If they come out stumbling around and barely win or even lose...oh boy.

They need to win above all, but a decisive win would be huge in setting the tone and letting us know the program is finally headed in the right direction.
Agree a lot with this. Look at the set-up for the CU-NU game last year. CU coming off a one win season the year before, beats the national runner up on the road, while NU's first game looked very similar to many of the losses that got the last coach fired. It was only one game, but CU was probably head and shoulders above NU in terms of confidence going into week 2.

Losing so many close games over the past 8 years is indeed an indication of a losing culture that simply does not know how to win close games. In particular, our teams have choked at the end of games making stupid mistakes. I think in some ways the environment at Nebraska creates an enormous pressure on the players to win games. I think we have the athletic tools to turn it around this year. But do we have the culture and mental tools to win those close games?

The Colorado game this Fall is a case in point. I am very worried about that game simply because I want to win that game, and so do most other fans, more than I have wanted us to win a game since Texas in Lincoln in 2010. The scenario is similar. Seeking to avenge the controversial loss to Texas in 2009, and having the best overall talent any Pelini team had, the fan hype and overall environment for that Texas 2010 game was off the charts. And Texas ended up not being all that good that year. But we played nervous and tight, TMart had a wretched game, and we layed a big steaming turd on the field that day. I think the players were wound too tightly and were too nervous. I fear that the CU game this year could be the same --- unless this year is different. Unless Rhule can get them to shut out all the hype and have confidence they can play with passion and beat those asshats.

FWIW, it seems our QB1 (Raiola) may be our best chance to overcome the mentality of the past 8 years. I certainly hope that is the case. It is obvious that an offense takes on the persona of the QB in terms of mentality. I think we saw some of that with HH last year. Raiola seems to have more of the "it" factor. At least that is what I am going with -- until I can't.

This snippet is the kind of crap that still worries me about this season. The moments seem too big for the Huskers, same stuff we've seen for years now. They play in a box instead of being loose and balling out. Hope they figure it out before August 31st...

Reactions: king_kong_
We see all of the PR Rhule talk, which is almost always on point, but it’s nice to see the accountability talk in real time. Need that aggressiveness in real time.

This snippet is the kind of crap that still worries me about this season. The moments seem too big for the Huskers, same stuff we've seen for years now. They play in a box instead of being loose and balling out. Hope they figure it out before August 31st...
Let’s hope that the corrective actions Rhule has taken makes a difference.

Reactions: king_kong_
Didn't I read where a couple of new guys at WR had to tell a senior to keep going? That's what I'm thinking about senior leadership. It can't just be one guy at one position. It has to be a culture of now it's our turn to show the new guys how to play the Nebraska way. That's kind of why I say that we need to be patient with Coach Rhule. Lumping him in with Riley and Frost is not fair. He's not going to be able to insta-recruit his way out of this mess. Let Deion try that at CU. Long term, Coach Rhule has to build depth, promote competition and foster leadership. This has to be something that is sustainable here at Nebraska.

I want to win as much as anyone. As we get more depth, watch for players to get benched when they take plays off or don't finish. We can't stop recruiting just because we got a blue chipper at a positon. If they get injured, who's going to step up? If they don't execute, who's going to challenge them for playing time? I think this will be exciting watching this all come together. Kinda bummed about Teddy. But we get to watch the start of the Raiola era!
I believe that the two portal senior WRs had to talk to Malachi Coleman to pick it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT