ADVERTISEMENT

I like this class

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
My goodness did we get some playmakers. Hopefully some of the best we have seen for a while. From top to bottom a solid group of young men. That being said, undersigning at WR and the class is unacceptable. We wanted 5 or 6 WR and signed 3. Thank goodness things went south at OSU for Tyjon or it would have been worse. Coach Dub should be put on notice as he was played by a couple recruits and struggled, especially after the DUI. We signed 20 overall and should have signed at least 25. My biggest complaint when it came to Bo's recruiting is that he continually left spots open and refused to play the numbers game. We can't keep kicking the can down the road if we want to compete with the big boys. Stars matter. Recruiting rankings matter. If you take all recruiting sites into account, our composite ranking will probably be around 21. It's a great start, but has to get better. Next year is huge in the 500 mile radius. Missouri alone has 4 top 250 type guys we should go hard after. Go ahead, blast away now.

I like what we got but just for a comparison of the best here is what we are doing

Alabama had 28 recruits today 7 of which were 5 *....24 in 16....25 in 15....26 in 14....103 kids the last 4 years
Nebraska in the same period had 25 21 21 20 for a total of 88 kids...man we arent even playing the same game as them...

Reactions: Agegoneby
One thing I should say is the amount of effort and organization of this staff is light years ahead of where the last staff was. They shot for the stars and missed on some of them. They missed out on some big fish. It's great they got them in here, they just have to finish. Second place means nothing when you miss on a recruit.

Something Riley said in his presser did concern me though. He made a comment about not knowing that Stanford was Sarrell's dream school and that if they knew that they wouldn't have spent so much time and effort on him. I had seen numerous posters on these boards state that fact. Why would they not know. I know for a fact that the coaches thought they had a few guys in the bag that they never got. They were played by more than one recruit.

My goodness did we get some playmakers. Hopefully some of the best we have seen for a while. From top to bottom a solid group of young men. That being said, undersigning at WR and the class is unacceptable. We wanted 5 or 6 WR and signed 3. Thank goodness things went south at OSU for Tyjon or it would have been worse. Coach Dub should be put on notice as he was played by a couple recruits and struggled, especially after the DUI. We signed 20 overall and should have signed at least 25. My biggest complaint when it came to Bo's recruiting is that he continually left spots open and refused to play the numbers game. We can't keep kicking the can down the road if we want to compete with the big boys. Stars matter. Recruiting rankings matter. If you take all recruiting sites into account, our composite ranking will probably be around 21. It's a great start, but has to get better. Next year is huge in the 500 mile radius. Missouri alone has 4 top 250 type guys we should go hard after. Go ahead, blast away now.
Ding ding ding ding!!!! Yes. Bingo

It's always nice to be able to award extra scholarships to walkons who are major contributors. However it would be nicer if we filled the classes and weren't forced to play so many walkons.

Reactions: Sharkster
One thing I should say is the amount of effort and organization of this staff is light years ahead of where the last staff was. They shot for the stars and missed on some of them. They missed out on some big fish. It's great they got them in here, they just have to finish. Second place means nothing when you miss on a recruit.

Something Riley said in his presser did concern me though. He made a comment about not knowing that Stanford was Sarrell's dream school and that if they knew that they wouldn't have spent so much time and effort on him. I had seen numerous posters on these boards state that fact. Why would they not know. I know for a fact that the coaches thought they had a few guys in the bag that they never got. They were played by more than one recruit.
The kid is a day one starter. I don't care if Stanford was his "dream school". We made him think long and hard about playing for Cavanaugh. It came down to academics versus position coach and Cav made the decision damned tough for him. Love it that we went hard after him.

It's always nice to be able to award extra scholarships to walkons who are major contributors. However it would be nicer if we filled the classes and weren't forced to play so many walkons.
We've got some walk on WRs that made the travel squad this year over scholarship WRs. We could have filled this class and not waited on potential difference makers like Blades....

I agree with this, but I do have to say that our dismal performance at the end of the season did these coaches no favors on the recruiting trail. Rather than tell a story of a program on the rise, it had to be sold more as a program rebuilding. I doubt that USC would have had the same recruiting class if the second half of their season was like the first.

Reactions: Agegoneby
I'm not worried about the WR numbers. Got some great prospects in this class, and if they show that they're throwing the ball well, they'll have no problems getting WRs to come on board. Not to mention WR is probably the #1 easiest position to get walk-on contributors and/or switch people's positions. Look at Reilly and Reimers.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
The kid is a day one starter. I don't care if Stanford was his "dream school". We made him think long and hard about playing for Cavanaugh. It came down to academics versus position coach and Cav made the decision damned tough for him. Love it that we went hard after him.

If you're smart enough to get into Stanford, you're not dumb enough not to go

I like the effort by the coaches. Things seem coordinated. A solid group of recruits.

There are new restrictions coming for overall numbers in the next few years; imo , we are not going to reach down to carry. Coach T O made that decision on scholarship players early in the 90's - basically had to project to a 4* at a developed level.
- Basically a third of the 90's championship teams traveling squad was walk-ons. Or a third of the top two strings. A reason he loved walk-ons.
- Since most are saying a class of 18 next year, if they say they will go as high as 23-25 - you will know the gloves are off.
- Agreed success will breed success. I also feel the early signing period will really work to our advantage . Especially against perceived top programs that are playing a large pool of players.
- A radio report said the B1G got 77 4+ star players. The West division got 9 of those - N had 5 of the 9 and was close to having 9 of its own. From charts here, a team that can average 10 4* players can expect to start showing up in the 4 team playoff. I believe we will see an 8 team playoff; good news.
- We have a lot of coaches with pro experience; we may look a lot more like the Patriots, especially on D in a few years.
What do I really think ;) lol GBR

If Kenny is the guy, great.

But I don't like hearing from the fanbase that we should put him on staff because 2018 looks good for St Louis.

What do we do with Kenny if some other guy was the better overall choice, and STL is not central to the recruiting strategy in 2019?

If Kenny is the guy, great.

But I don't like hearing from the fanbase that we should put him on staff because 2018 looks good for St Louis.

What do we do with Kenny if some other guy was the better overall choice, and STL is not central to the recruiting strategy in 2019?

He also has 6 years experience as a DB coach, I never stated it was solely due to St. Louis '18.

He also has 6 years experience as a DB coach, I never stated it was solely due to St. Louis '18.

I was just commenting in general. Across all of the Husker boards, there's a general refrain that Kenny will help us out in STL this year. The decision needs to be bigger than that. I think he could be a great fit.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I was just commenting in general. Across all of the Husker boards, there's a general refrain that Kenny will help us out in STL this year. The decision needs to be bigger than that. I think he could be a great fit.
Yes, that would be very short sighted. Not Coach Riley's M.O.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT