ADVERTISEMENT

I hope the Wisconsin board doesn't melt down

Does the corner touch the ball every down, and do they have only one other scholarship corner on the roster?

Not exactly the same thing. And I say this fully acknowledging there was nothing the coaches could have done. Gebbia had obviously made the decision long in advance that he was going to follow Riley unless he was guaranteed to start the entire season.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Does the corner touch the ball every down, and do they have only one other scholarship corner on the roster?

Not exactly the same thing. And I say this fully acknowledging there was nothing the coaches could have done. Gebbia had obviously made the decision long in advance that he was going to follow Riley unless he was guaranteed to start the entire season.

Not about Gebbia. We have enough threads about him. This is about a Wisconsin CB who left school after classes started and me wondering if their board will melt down like ours has

Maybe you should ask those on or monitor the Wisconsin board to get your answer. You've certainly been a big part in the "meltdown" concerning the Gebbia threads.Laughing

Tuco's been more like a lone rational thinker. So yeah, he's been a part of the discussion but I've not seen any melting down on his part.

But back to Tuco's question, yeah Wisconsin fans probably will melt down just like ours. That's what defines a college football fanbase, we all think we're "different" (aka better) but the reality is we're all selfish, hypocritical pricks just like every other fanbase in america when it comes to our teams.

Maybe you should ask those on or monitor the Wisconsin board to get your answer. You've certainly been a big part in the "meltdown" concerning the Gebbia threads.Laughing

I'm not sure I would classify my posts as melting down. My posts have been consistent and have done nothing more than explain the other side of a kid deciding to do what is best for him. Not one time did I say Frost or Nebraska did anything wrong, or that Iiked the way Gebbia handled things.

But again, this post was about a Wisconsin player that bolted school because he didn't get named starter. And almost every response is a way to justify it being different than Gebbia.

Quote from a WI message board -

"Life is full of choices. He did what he thought was best for him.
I'm sure the staff realized this was a possibility when they drew up the depth chart.
Not a blow that NE got when the alleged 4* red shirt QB left after a frosh was declared the starting QB leaving NE with no scholarship QBs as back ups. The starter is a running QB and they tend to have a short half life in the BIG."

Or this
"I'm going to side with JL. If this is truly because he's not starting then I have to ask who quits on their team 2 days before the season starts? "

Reactions: SOHusker11
Did the board meltdown or does it just show how much Nebraska fans still care about the program? I think people were being rational that losing your backup qb when you have very little qb depth and a true freshman as a starter is a huge deal. It's only natural that people are going to discuss something that can have a huge effect on the season.

Did the board meltdown or does it just show how much Nebraska fans still care about the program? I think people were being rational that losing your backup qb when you have very little qb depth and a true freshman as a starter is a huge deal. It's only natural that people are going to discuss something that can have a huge effect on the season.

Posters were threatened with week long suspensions from the board for calling a college kid names. I don't think that is rational and I would consider that pretty close to a textbook definition of a melt down.

Posters were threatened with week long suspensions from the board for calling a college kid names. I don't think that is rational and I would consider that pretty close to a textbook definition of a melt down.
Those posters could have been perfectly calm and rational while saying it too.

RollingLaugh.....and there it is......

Reactions: Huskerfan_99

Uh, no. “Rational”? Surely you have seen the name calling and condemnation that came as a result of his decision. If you consider that rational then you have a strange meaning for the word.

Reactions: timnsun
Because @kaz36 posted,he was tired of deleting posts where people were calling the player names and if he saw it again he would give them a week long timeout.
Just wondered - I agree no need to call a kid names but kinda a fine line when addressing actions - If you call what he did selfish - this is not making a judgment on the kid this is saying what he did was selfish - he may not be a selfish kid overall but what he did was selfish

Just wondered - I agree no need to call a kid names but kinda a fine line when addressing actions - If you call what he did selfish - this is not making a judgment on the kid this is saying what he did was selfish - he may not be a selfish kid overall but what he did was selfish

I don't think selfish was the name being used.

I don't think selfish was the name being used.
I agree but I only saw one maybe two people calling him POS or other names either you point is well taken no need to call him names. I was just pointing out calling what he did is not the same as attacking him on a personal level at IMO

I agree but I only saw one maybe two people calling him POS or other names either you point is well taken no need to call him names. I was just pointing out calling what he did is not the sam6e as attacking him on a personal level at IMO
I had deleted about 8 or 10 posts from posters calling Gebbia things such as a POS, selfish a**hole, etc. I don't have a problem with saying that he was selfish, out for himself, etc, but the name calling was way out of line and was deleted. We don't allow that for anyone and it did stop after the warning. Some people seemed to be taking it very personally and it was almost time for them to sit it out for a while.

I know that Tristan had done what Scott Frost had asked of his QB's and was very confident that he had won the starting QB job. He was disappointed and mad that he wasn't named and yes, it looks like he did have a fallback plan. I am pissed at him for what he did, but also understand what he did and think a lot of people would do the same thing in his shoes.

Even Frost admitted that he handled the whole thing poorly. What did that mean? Did it mean he would have named Gebbia the starter instead? Did it mean he would have carried the competition out farther? Did it mean that he should have sat him down and laid out the plan to the QB's better than they did? Who knows. All I know is that Husker football plays in two days and I am going to cheer my ass off for the guys who will be on the field playing for the Huskers. Gebbia is gone and I don't really care anymore and he will become an afterthought to me. I don't hate him and I don't really care anymore.

ALL I CAN SAY IS...................GOOOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been this excited for football season in a long time.

Maybe if we stop crap threads about Gebbia we wouldn't have to delete messages all day.

What did you think is going to be said about him eventually. Especially when we aren't even focusing on a game in 2 FREAKING days.

I know that Tristan had done what Scott Frost had asked of his QB's and was very confident that he had won the starting QB job.

from what Verduzco said, they felt Martinez had won the job

?? was Martinez obviously the better QB and Gebbia was delusional ??
?? was Gebbia the better QB right now but they went with Martinez due to bigger upside ??
?? there has to be some chatter from the players - who was the better QB in practice ??

?? was Gebbia the better QB right now but they went with Martinez due to bigger upside ??
?? there has to be some chatter from the players - who was the better QB in practice ??
The quote is that Gebbia was confident he had won the competition, not that Frost thought he won the competition.

Obviously MV and SF thought otherwise.

See, things like this...this is how everything gets flipped into BS. I swear there are some of us that see what they want to see. Just like tmnsun, I seen what Kaz said and seen his point but they are always some fans that see only what they want. Same thing has happened to more then a few times. I lay a point out and someone else sees what they want and twist it. Wow

Can game time get here any faster??

See, things like this...this is how everything gets flipped into BS. I swear there are some of us that see what they want to see. Just like tmnsun, I seen what Kaz said and seen his point but they are always some fans that see only what they want. Same thing has happened to more then a few times. I lay a point out and someone else sees what they want and twist it. Wow

Can game time get here any faster??

And you are seeing what you want to see in my post. I am not questioning the decision by Verduzco and Frost- I apologize if it gives that impression. What I wonder is if the vast majority of the players felt that AM had clearly won the job or was it very close and the staff had to make a less than obvious choice.

To the teams credit there hasn’t been a lot of open chatter about the decision one way or the other.

Were the players divided about who should be the starter?

Reactions: timnsun
I agree but I only saw one maybe two people calling him POS or other names either you point is well taken no need to call him names. I was just pointing out calling what he did is not the same as attacking him on a personal level at IMO
I had deleted about 8 or 10 posts from posters calling Gebbia things such as a POS, selfish a**hole, etc. I don't have a problem with saying that he was selfish, out for himself, etc, but the name calling was way out of line and was deleted. We don't allow that for anyone and it did stop after the warning. Some people seemed to be taking it very personally and it was almost time for them to sit it out for a while.

I know that Tristan had done what Scott Frost had asked of his QB's and was very confident that he had won the starting QB job. He was disappointed and mad that he wasn't named and yes, it looks like he did have a fallback plan. I am pissed at him for what he did, but also understand what he did and think a lot of people would do the same thing in his shoes.

Even Frost admitted that he handled the whole thing poorly. What did that mean? Did it mean he would have named Gebbia the starter instead? Did it mean he would have carried the competition out farther? Did it mean that he should have sat him down and laid out the plan to the QB's better than they did? Who knows. All I know is that Husker football plays in two days and I am going to cheer my ass off for the guys who will be on the field playing for the Huskers. Gebbia is gone and I don't really care anymore and he will become an afterthought to me. I don't hate him and I don't really care anymore.

ALL I CAN SAY IS...................GOOOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been this excited for football season in a long time.
well said very excited to get this thing rolling again

Frost had come out and basically said that the QB who is most consistent running this offense in practice and the one who turned the ball over the least(I am paraphrasing) would be the starter. I think Gebbia thought that he had exceeded these expectations more than Martinez had. I know that in the last situational scrimmage that they held on Friday that Martinez had a couple interceptions and Gebbia felt like he played pretty well and felt confident after that. But, as we heard from Verduzco, the QB competition had been decided before that.

As far as chatter from the players, there has been some hints by a couple people that some players weren't happy and that they thought that Gebbia won the contest. I believe it was @kidofSN that hinted about this when he posted about a bad practice the other day. If I am wrong, I apologize. Ultimately, the coaches have the final decision and came to a consensus that Martinez should be the starter. I think what won out was the fact that Martinez ultimately is the future of this offense and he made some wow plays in practice that Gebbia just couldn't.

Reactions: jlb321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT