ADVERTISEMENT

I hate pro overtime.

I liked the bills and chiefs, but my brother has chiefs season tickets so I guess I'm glad they won..
as long as kc, the rams, or the 9ers win the superbowl everything is good.

I hope the Bengals go all the way. I don't dislike the Chiefs, and I kinda like the Rams because Stamford was once a Lion. I just hope it’s not the 49ers. But honestly I won’t be heartbroken no matter who wins it. What a great football weekend
Chiefs! But seriously, this weekend of football was one of the best ever. Every game went to the wire. Such a fun weekend to watch football. I like to think the Chiefs are the favorites at this point, but honestly it’s a toss up as to who will win it all.

I hate the rule too, but Bills had 3 chances to get a stop and win the game. Never came close.

But yeah, I hate the rule.

Reactions: headcard
Every opposing view of this is nothing more than the sissyification of football. I am talking about you OP. The old school "Sudden Death" version is the one I prefer. If you find a a way to get overtime in a tie, all rules are off. Field goal wins. Safety wins. TD wins. First to score WINS. Anyone that disagrees with this rule must love the 82-76 college 18 overtime rule where everyone gets a chance to win. That shit is horrible. You score, you win. That should be the rule. Anyone that disagrees is wrong.

Every opposing view of this is nothing more than the sissyification of football. I am talking about you OP. The old school "Sudden Death" version is the one I prefer. If you find a a way to get overtime in a tie, all rules are off. Field goal wins. Safety wins. TD wins. First to score WINS. Anyone that disagrees with this rule must love the 82-76 college 18 overtime rule where everyone gets a chance to win. That shit is horrible. You score, you win. That should be the rule. Anyone that disagrees is wrong.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Help me out, how is not liking the current OT sissyfication?

If I had my choice they would play another quarter. And keep playing the same rules as the 60 minutes prior. If no winner after that quarter play another.

I hate the rule too, but Bills had 3 chances to get a stop and win the game. Never came close.

But yeah, I hate the rule.

The Chiefs also never stopped the Bills, they just won the toss.

I think the only thing that needs to change now is a chance for the non-receiving team to match the score, whatever it is.

The league is driven by offense and all the rules favor the offense, why require a defensive stop to win the game for you just because you lose the toss?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Help me out, how is not liking the current OT sissyfication?

If I had my choice they would play another quarter. And keep playing the same rules as the 60 minutes prior. If no winner after that quarter play another.
That would be ideal but with all the TV crap it just couldn't work.

But college overtime isn’t the answer
Correct. I think each team should get a possession (unless there is a Defensive/ST score). Dont put the ball at the 30. Have it play like a normal game, so Special Teams matters. After the initial 2 possessions, its sudden death.

Im a chiefs fan (have to have a reason to wear all my red these days), but also hate the rule. I do remember, however, the chiefs being on the other end of it a few years ago to the Pats and Brady.

And that game may have had the wildest 2 minute drill in the history of the NFL.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Correct. I think each team should get a possession (unless there is a Defensive/ST score). Dont put the ball at the 30. Have it play like a normal game, so Special Teams matters. After the initial 2 possessions, its sudden death.
Even if they changed it to this there’d still be complaints that Mahomes got two possessions and Allen only got one.

I think a better way to do it is to change it to college style but you start from your own 25 instead of the opponents’.

Bill Burr had a bit about how McDonalds needs to bring the clown back for a public service notice telling people that if they don't get to the place by 10:30 they were getting a burger. No more pancakes at 3 in the afternoon because they were up all night playing video games. I feel the NFL needs a similar spot. It would go something like this.

"Hi I'm Mike Ditka and I'm Dick Butkus. You may know us from when football was real and you were allowed to step on a guys fingers to let him know you care. Back in our day we finished our games like real men. We won in regulation and if we tied, we decided the winner by having a team fight at the fifty yard line. First team to make the opposing teams kicker cry won the game. Then they changed the rules to sudden death overtime where the first team to score wins. We both agree that this was a much better way to settle the winner. Lately the NFL thinks we need to treat grown men like a bunch of eight year old's on a soccer field. EVERYONE GETS A CHANCE (said in a little babies voice by Ditka). Screw that. First team to score wins that damn game. You had your chance to win already. It was sixty minutes of football. If you need more time to win, too bad. First team to score wins. Deal with it you babies."

J26XO2GOEFDGDLKIY7JMPPUT74.jpg

Even if they changed it to this there’d still be complaints that Mahomes got two possessions and Allen only got one.

I think a better way to do it is to change it to college style but you start from your own 25 instead of the opponents’.
This. Starting placement matters for those who hate college rules

Bill Burr had a bit about how McDonalds needs to bring the clown back for a public service notice telling people that if they don't get to the place by 10:30 they were getting a burger. No more pancakes at 3 in the afternoon because they were up all night playing video games. I feel the NFL needs a similar spot. It would go something like this.

"Hi I'm Mike Ditka and I'm Dick Butkus. You may know us from when football was real and you were allowed to step on a guys fingers to let him know you care. Back in our day we finished our games like real men. We won in regulation and if we tied, we decided the winner by having a team fight at the fifty yard line. First team to make the opposing teams kicker cry won the game. Then they changed the rules to sudden death overtime where the first team to score wins. We both agree that this was a much better way to settle the winner. Lately the NFL thinks we need to treat grown men like a bunch of eight year old's on a soccer field. EVERYONE GETS A CHANCE (said in a little babies voice by Ditka). Screw that. First team to score wins that damn game. You had your chance to win already. It was sixty minutes of football. If you need more time to win, too bad. First team to score wins. Deal with it you babies."

If the Bills had won the coin toss, do you think they still lose? I didn't think so.
That's the problem.

Im a chiefs fan (have to have a reason to wear all my red these days), but also hate the rule. I do remember, however, the chiefs being on the other end of it a few years ago to the Pats and Brady.

And that game may have had the wildest 2 minute drill in the history of the NFL.
I watched the longest game between kc and Miami at least both teams had their chances

It's better than it was, when a FG on the opening possession was all it took to win. At least now, teams have to try to get to the end zone on that initial possession instead of just picking up a two first downs and then kicking a FG. It also gives the defense ample opportunity to get a stop - force a FG, then give their own offense a chance.

The Chiefs were on the losing side of this exact same scenario 3 years ago when they drove into FG range in less than 30 seconds to tie the game at the end of regulation, only to see the Pats score a Res Burkhead TD on the opening possession of OT.

There is probably no perfect OT solution - but at least the NFL gives the defense a puncher's chance now.

In my way of thinking the Bills should have pooch-kicked it down the middle, which would have used up 3-8 seconds.
Agree, but on the first play of the Chiefs' drive, I also would have just tackled Hill at the line of scrimmage. You knew the Chiefs were going to run that extended screen play - which they use often (and with success) when the clock is ticking away. So just tackle Hill and take the 10 yard penalty. Would have used up half the time remaining.

It's better than it was, when a FG on the opening possession was all it took to win. At least now, teams have to try to get to the end zone on that initial possession instead of just picking up a two first downs and then kicking a FG. It also gives the defense ample opportunity to get a stop - force a FG, then give their own offense a chance.

The Chiefs were on the losing side of this exact same scenario 3 years ago when they drove into FG range in less than 30 seconds to tie the game at the end of regulation, only to see the Pats score a Res Burkhead TD on the opening possession of OT.

There is probably no perfect OT solution - but at least the NFL gives the defense a puncher's chance now.
Agree. It’s actually pretty fair as far as odds to win go.

Of course in an offensive game the coin flip is way more important, but in a typical game the team getting the ball first has a very small advantage, if at all. I believe since they changed the rule a decade ago the winner of the coin flip has only won 50% of games.

So statistically it’s not really a bad rule. The problem is it robs the opposing QB of having an opportunity. It’s a crime that Allen ended his season with two “winning” drives.

Agree, but on the first play of the Chiefs' drive, I also would have just tackled Hill at the line of scrimmage. You knew the Chiefs were going to run that extended screen play - which they use often (and with success) when the clock is ticking away. So just tackle Hill and take the 10 yard penalty. Would have used up half the time remaining.
I believe the NFL now has a rule (thanks to John Harbaugh) that you can be assessed a 15 yard penalty and the clock will be reset to what it was at the beginning of the play if it is deemed that you intentionally commit penalty to manipulate the clock.

Reactions: schuele

I would be more OK with a straight street fight than what they do today.

Just keep playing until there is a winner. Quarter by quarter. I like the element of playing against time. I like using the same damn rules that they played through regulation. I like the back and forth excitement. You know, like the real end of a game.

The stupid crap of half assed sudden death is dumb. It is only sudden death if the first team scores a TD. But then it is kind of sudden death if they kick a field goal and the other team scores a TD. Unless they both kick a FG then it is sudden death again.

Seems the sissyfication would be more about worrying about rules and trying to finish the game so no one gets hurt. Eff that, play to the death I say. Keep playing 10 or 15 minute quarters until there is a winner. I don't care if dudes are dropping left and right. You can go to your bench.

Reactions: jkeb
I agree. Basketball should have the same rule. First to score in OT wins. Don't like it, quit being a sissy.

I'd like to see an 8 minute quarter and only 3 downs instead of 4 to make a first down. They need to make it a little harder on the offense in the OT. If still tied go to a sudden death sort of like college.

Bills really shouldn’t even have been in a position to win the game anyways. You’ve got 4 & 13 under the 2 minute warning down 5 and KC gives up a TD in busted coverage. Both sides screwed up. In my mind it was a wash

But as far as the kick-off goes, did KC put Hill back there? I think that could have played a factor. He’s deadly in returns. If they squib it that doesn’t guarantee a win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT