ADVERTISEMENT

I don't know much.....

Sad thing is, Rhule was that coach. 38-1 at the college level, before coming to Nebraska.

That night vs I believe Jalen Hurts and the Sooners has become a turning point when it comes to close games for him as well. We will get there. He is the right guy. O Line us a disaster and hopefully it forces their hand with a few young guys who step up BIG TIME.

That night vs I believe Jalen Hurts and the Sooners has become a turning point when it comes to close games for him as well. We will get there. He is the right guy. O Line us a disaster and hopefully it forces their hand with a few young guys who step up BIG TIME.

I think there might be something to this. Rhule has/had a formula for winning games in the 4Q, 80+ yards rushing in the 4th quarter, etc. And it's like the OU loss and possibly some of the NFL losses have made him re-evaluate. Going for the kill instead of continuing to pound the ball both Saturday and against Maryland last year, feels a little like a change of philosophy. But i could just be reading too much into it.

I think there might be something to this. Rhule has/had a formula for winning games in the 4Q, 80+ yards rushing in the 4th quarter, etc. And it's like the OU loss and possibly some of the NFL losses have made him re-evaluate. Going for the kill instead of continuing to pound the ball both Saturday and against Maryland last year, feels a little like a change of philosophy. But i could just be reading too much into it.
+ not continuing to pound the ball against wisconsin last year

I see the same thing

So you think we have some young guys ready to step in and take over on the OL? Who would that be? You are really saying the coaches don’t know what they are doing and playing the wrong guys.

Sad thing is, Rhule was that coach. 38-1 at the college level, before coming to Nebraska.

He didn’t miss the open receiver or the field goal. I questioned kicking the field goal because I doubted we could keep them out of the endzone with a minute left but damn. We had that game where we wanted it. Frost would have never had us within 3 TDs.

He didn’t miss the open receiver or the field goal. I questioned kicking the field goal because I doubted we could keep them out of the endzone with a minute left but damn. We had that game where we wanted it. Frost would have never had us within 3 TDs.

I also questioned kicking the FG, although it was a relatively short FG and a make would have given us the win. DR was just playing so well that I felt like keeping the ball in his hand was the play.

we kicked that FG with 3 minutes left, not 1

makes the decision even worse, IMO

we kicked that FG with 3 minutes left, not 1

makes the decision even worse, IMO
It was an interesting turn of events for sure. At the time I thought they went for the homerun throw knowing they were going for it on 4th down. I'd rather have the game in my best players hands, especially knowing that ILL was driving very effectively. BUT maybe the TE was just that wide open? Not sure.

It was an interesting turn of events for sure. At the time I thought they went for the homerun throw knowing they were going for it on 4th down. I'd rather have the game in my best players hands, especially knowing that ILL was driving very effectively. BUT maybe the TE was just that wide open? Not sure.
I couldn't believe we didn't run it there

worst case we get stuffed and milk another 40 seconds off the clock and have another chance to go on 4th and short or kick

best case we get it and guarantee we're the last team with the ball

I also questioned kicking the FG, although it was a relatively short FG and a make would have given us the win. DR was just playing so well that I felt like keeping the ball in his hand was the play.
Not sure if that would've won us the game. Our defensive scheme seemed to no QB pressure and soft zones. I think White was okay with giving up 3 points but not 7 in that situation. Illinois was driving well on us. Maybe the defense steps up, maybe not. I just felt we needed a touchdown to force Illinois to go the full distance, where our defense might have been able to get a turnover.

....but I wish we had a Mariano Rivera type coach to come and close the games out...
The Yankees wish they had a Mariano Rivera-type, too, instead of Clay Holmes, the league leader in blown saves. Not a lot of closers like Rivera in any sport. Until the last five years of TO’s 25-year HC career lots of Husker fans wished their coach was a better closer, too.🤣

worst case we get stuffed and milk another 40 seconds off the clock and have another chance to go on 4th and short or kick

Our inability to run the 4 minute offense was my biggest disappointment. I think that has historically been a Rhule strength. I think they knew they would kick the FG if they didn’t hit the HR. If you know you are going on 4th, you run it on third, IMO. A good, winning team runs the clock out and kicks a game winning FG there.

Our inability to run the 4 minute offense was my biggest disappointment. I think that has historically been a Rhule strength. I think they knew they would kick the FG if they didn’t hit the HR. If you know you are going on 4th, you run it on third, IMO. A good, winning team runs the clock out and kicks a game winning FG there.
yep

hard lesson

hope they learn from it

onward!

Understandably, during that 4 minute span the kicker starts to tense up, but with Foley,
you couldn't pull a needle out of his ass with a tractor.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
....but I wish we had a Mariano Rivera type coach to come and close the games out....
Cut It Out GIF by UFC

the pff grades for our O linemen will be interesting to see.

My guess on our defense is this will be one of their lowest graded games ever under White for the edge and back 7.
Agree. The real issue is this is almost the 2nd straight game where the defense (for whatever reason) just has not come to play at the level needed to move this program forward.

None of us should expect perfection in all 3 phases, but when coach Rhule has talked nothing about anything but STANDARDS, then there have to minimal standards.

I'm hoping that Illinois turns out to just be that good but damned we were awful on defense in particular. We can bitch about the punt return but the defense still could have stopped them. There were problems in almost every phase of the game but the penalties on defense in particular coupled with blown coverages and our inability to stop their run were the ballgame. Their back AVERAGED 5.8 ypc.[/QUOTE]

On 4th down you likely wouldn't get another 40 seconds with 4th down. The play stops, so does the clock.

So you think we have some young guys ready to step in and take over on the OL? Who would that be? You are really saying the coaches don’t know what they are doing and playing the wrong guys.
No. I said that injuries can sometimes bring pleasant surprises in college football when a younger guy shows out with the lights on and it clicks for him. Thanks for twisting my words so you could play antagonist.

Last edited:
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Offensive line grades​

PlayerSnapsSacksQB hitsHurriesPenaltiesRun gradePass gradeOverall grade
Bryce Benhart– Sr.6910064.777.770.7
Justin Evans – So.69101268.543.160.7
Ben Scott– Sr.6900156.074.060.5
Henry Lutovsky – Jr.6900055.539.654.3
Gunnar Gottula – RFr.48001167.776.065.7
Turner Corcoran – Sr.2102156.722.946.6
When you see those numbers, you wonder why RFr Gottula wasn't the starter, and Sr Corc the backup?

Other than one penalty, he far outperformed Corcoran.

Both guards performed poorly, and yes, we severely missed Mazz.

Compared to Lutovsky, over the course of the game, Mazz may have made the difference...

Last edited:
According to the PFF numbers, that young guy would definitely be Gottula.

When you see those numbers, you wonder why RFr Gottula wasn't the starter, and Sr Corc the backup?

Other than one penalty, he far outperformed Corcoran.

Both guards performed poorly, and yes, we severely missed Mazz.

Compared to Lutovsky, over the course of the game, Mazz may have made the difference...

I'm wondering if Corcoran was trying to play with the injury from the start. That grade is the worst I've seen. Scott and Lutovsky? Woof.

There were times in the past when Corcoran scored a 0 in Pass Pro.
I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw his pff score from this past week

He’s been our worst OL for 3 straight years and yet hasn’t missed a start when healthy

Feel bad for him, he’s in way over his head out there

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw his pff score from this past week

He’s been our worst OL for 3 straight years and yet hasn’t missed a start when healthy

Feel bad for him, he’s in way over his head out there
Im trying to get @Tru Husker to fess up that Donovan was proven wrong by pure PFF Numbers.

I also posed the question that had Corc not been injured, he likely would have played the entire 69 snaps, can't seem to get him to answer that either.

He's been lecturing several guys on here and dishing it out, I just wanna see if he can take it too.

I just woke up from my nap, so I'm ready for a good tussle with him. LOL

Reactions: king_kong_
Im trying to get @Tru Husker to fess up that Donovan was proven wrong by pure PFF Numbers.

I also posed the question that had Corc not been injured, he likely would have played the entire 69 snaps, can't seem to get him to answer that either.

He's been lecturing several guys on here and dishing it out, I just wanna see if he can take it too.

I just woke up from my nap, so I'm ready for a good tussle with him. LOL
Uncle Donnie did what he was retained to do

We need at least one OL analyst who knows what he’s doing since I imagine Don’s title is untouchable for appearance/nepotism purposes (I have no issue with this)

It would be a bonus if that person was also our run game coordinator

Double bonus if we had someone on staff who’d actually recruited and developed P5 OL prior to getting here, unlike Uncle Donnie

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT