ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t understand the tournament selection process

f00tball_fan

Walk On
Aug 18, 2006
How does Wichita State get in at a #4 seed anyways? I think they had 10 losses on the season and the only team they beat that was also invited was Houston. And they beat them once and lost twice to them.

Why are they a #4 seed and Nebraska isn’t good enough to even get in because of a lack of marquee victories?

Is the Big Ten not better than their conference?

I really didn't think Wichita State deserved a #4 seed either. As you pointed out, they struggled against the top teams in the AAC.

But then I thought Arizona was underseeded as a #4, so what do I know?

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
Committee was correct about the Pac Ten and wrong about the Big Ten. However I read on this very board today that we should just shut up about it and forget it cause Neb only beat four teams with winning records. Guess we best shut up huh? NOT

Committee was correct about the Pac Ten and wrong about the Big Ten. However I read on this very board today that we should just shut up about it and forget it cause Neb only beat four teams with winning records. Guess we best shut up huh? NOT
I didn't think the Pac-12 deserved more teams, but thought USC should have gotten in ahead of Arizona State. UCLA was kind of a borderline case.

Definitely a down year in the Pac-12, which probably led me to believe that Arizona was playing better than they really were. But in any case, I'm happy to see them ousted.

Reactions: baseball31ne
How does Wichita State get in at a #4 seed anyways? I think they had 10 losses on the season and the only team they beat that was also invited was Houston. And they beat them once and lost twice to them.

Why are they a #4 seed and Nebraska isn’t good enough to even get in because of a lack of marquee victories?

Is the Big Ten not better than their conference?

They didn’t have 10 losses. They went 25-6 and had an RPI of 14. They aren’t comparable to Nebraska. Quadrant 1 and 2 wins, along with record and RPI are what go into it. Nebraska’s RPI was 60 something I think. There is a subjective component but there are objective measures and Nebraska has zero objective measures in their favor. Plus we lost on the road to Miss St so we should stop whining.

I get a kick out of "supposed" Neb basketball fans who stick up for other teams and say nobody should be upset about the Husker plight!

Wichita State lost to a 13 seed. Using the mantra since the Huskers lost in the NIT that proves they did not belong in the NCAA tourney that most definitely says Wichita State way over seeded! Can't make one argument without the other!

Reactions: baseball31ne
I watched every single game this yearm I wanted us to make it to the dance, but we did not have the resume. Rassmussen said the other day they looked at how teams did against other tournament teams. We were (1-6). Road record we were (4-8). And not losing to teams you should have beat we lost to St. Johns and Illinois. We weren't even next four out. It's time to cut Miles loose.

I get a kick out of "supposed" Neb basketball fans who stick up for other teams and say nobody should be upset about the Husker plight!

Wichita State lost to a 13 seed. Using the mantra since the Huskers lost in the NIT that proves they did not belong in the NCAA tourney that most definitely says Wichita State way over seeded! Can't make one argument without the other!

It's not sticking up for other teams, it's being objective. Stomping your feet and crying when the facts don't support what you're touting is just ignorant. Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

And no, upsets are just that...upsets. They happen. It's what makes the tournament fun. One game doesn't mean that the higher ranked seed was overrated. It just means they got bested that day. It doesn't undo an entire season's worth of work.

Reactions: TheNewNU
But Nebraska being upset in the first round means more than an upset, You missed the point. I repeat it is saying one thing means one thing in one tourney and the same thing means another in a different tourney. If you do not see this I am sorry there is nothing else I can tell you! Wichita State was 2-5 against tourney teams. How else do you want me to look at that stat?

I get a kick out of people obsessed with comparing their NU fan bona fides against other posters. I happened to think that Nebraska would have deserved a bid if they had beaten Michigan and made a good showing in the conference semis. Other people say no, that still wouldn’t have gotten NU any serious consideration. That does not make me a better fan than those people, even if I say otherwise over and over and over again.

But Nebraska being upset in the first round means more than an upset, You missed the point. I repeat it is saying one thing means one thing in one tourney and the same thing means another in a different tourney. If you do not see this I am sorry there is nothing else I can tell you! Wichita State was 2-5 against tourney teams. How else do you want me to look at that stat?

I understand what you're say but I'm not arguing both ways. Nebraska wasn't upset. They were an underdog by seeding and in Vegas. The issue here is that Nebraska's coach came out and whined about how they got screwed and then they failed to back it up. If Wichita State's coach came out and claimed they should have been higher than a 4 seed, then this would be the same argument. He didn't and no one questioned Wichita's seeding. Tim Miles and our fanbase whining put the onus of proof on this Nebraska team and they blew it, therefore Nebraska should stop complaining. Wichita being upset in a tournament notorious for upsets doesn't put their seed into question...especially when their RPI was right in line with their seed. Nebraska's objective stats say NIT, not NCAA. And it wasn't that close.

Schuele are you telling people to shut up about Neb not getting in the tourney ? I did not think so! Whether Neb deserved a bid or not I do not know. But do not use Neb losing at Miss St as a reason then say upsets happen in the tourney. Either upsets happen or seeding was wrong!

In one breath I am hearing a loss for Neb means the seeding and the tourney pick was correct and in the other breath WIchita State was not overseeded just because they lost? If a loss in one case means a team was seeded correctly in the other case when the results were the opposite it means that the team that lost in that case must have been over seeded. That is saying the same thing.

And Neb's RPI says either NCAA tourney or #1 or 2 seed in NIT. If you are saying that Wichita State was right where they should have been then Neb was not. Which way is it?

Last edited:
Schuele are you telling people to shut up about Neb not getting in the tourney ? I did not think so! Whether Neb deserved a bid or not I do not know. But do not use Neb losing at Miss St as a reason then say upsets happen in the tourney. Either upsets happen or seeding was wrong!

In one breath I am hearing a loss for Neb means the seeding and the tourney pick was correct and in the other breath WIchita State was not overseeded just because they lost? If a loss in one case means a team was seeded correctly in the other case when the results were the opposite it means that the team that lost in that case must have been over seeded. That is saying the same thing.

And Neb's RPI says either NCAA tourney or #1 or 2 seed in NIT. If you are saying that Wichita State was right where they should have been then Neb was not. Which way is it?
No, you can argue Nebraska’s case all you want. Just please spare us all the references to “fans,” “supposed fans,” “alleged fans” and whatever other terms you want to use to refer to people who don’t happen to agree with you.

Reactions: newAD and TheNewNU
Seeding is based on your resume. Wichita State had a #4 seed resume. Nebraska had a RPI in the 60's...which is a NIT resume. But when you complain and state that you are under-seeded, then you better back it up on the court in the tournament. You're trying to say that seeding is proven wrong/right by the tournament which is false...unless you complain about it and are put yourself in a position to defend what you've said.

I think you're trying to over simplify this and want it cut and dry one way or another and I don't think it works that way. It's much more complicated and subtle. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: saluno22
Seeding is based on your resume. Wichita State had a #4 seed resume. Nebraska had a RPI in the 60's...which is a NIT resume. But when you complain and state that you are under-seeded, then you better back it up on the court in the tournament. You're trying to say that seeding is proven wrong/right by the tournament which is false...unless you complain about it and are put yourself in a position to defend what you've said.

I think you're trying to over simplify this and want it cut and dry one way or another and I don't think it works that way. It's much more complicated and subtle. Agree to disagree.
To clarify, I was not making ANY comparison between WSU and Nebraska. I just didn’t see enough quality wins by the Shockers to make them a #4 - more like a 5 or 6.

Reactions: saluno22
I was not the one saying seeding was proven one way or another, And anything Miles may have said does not change seeding. If a win by a team on one level means seeding was correct then an upset at another level means seeding might not have been correct. I disagree with that totally but I am trying to point out that Neb losing in the NIT does not mean that they were not underseeded or possibly should have been in the big dance. I have said over and over I do not know myself but do not use the results of one game to make it appear that everything is kosher. That is my point and that is my only point, I do not think Wichita State was overseeded. I am just saying do not justify the seeding results with the results of one game cause it carried a lot of weight if you do.

Wichita State has actually been a regular attendee to the dance, unlike Nebraska. They also beat UCF twice. How’d Nebraska do against them again???

The Shockers May have been over seeded but that doesn’t change the fact Nebraska only beat 1 team in the dance this year and had 0 road wins that were impressive.

Nebraska MAY have had a team good enough to play in the dance, but their schedule left zero wiggle room when you only beat one decent team on your schedule.

Nebraska losing to MSU on the road was not a surprise. They don’t do well on the road. If only we could play all the games at PBA. Smokin

I've watched several tournament games the last 2 days. I don't think I've seen even 1 game that I thought NU would have had a chance to win.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I've watched several tournament games the last 2 days. I don't think I've seen even 1 game that I thought NU would have had a chance to win.
Not many to be sure, although the 11-vs-11 play-in games were brutal. Those teams made a good argument for going back to 64 teams.

Cincinnati did not play their home games on their regular floor this season either. They played on the Northern Kentucky floor ten miles away because their arena is undergoing renovations I believe. Anyway you look at it not quite what is inferred when WS broke their long home winning streak. They also lost to the Bearcats at home!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT