ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers Big10 champs

We had a little rough spot, maybe start but seemed to have the ship aimed right now. Glad our AD isn't quick to fire coaches like some of our fans would like to do. Not saying our coach is anywhere near coach of the year, but hes a solid coach at the least! And thanks to the LSU Tiger fan.

Reactions: HWKfakeidCFB
Drives me crazy with all the fire Erstad talk. I'm not saying Erstad is a great manager, but baseball is a strange game and even the most talented teams can look like the Bad News Bears at times. Congrats to the Huskers!

Drives me crazy with all the fire Erstad talk. I'm not saying Erstad is a great manager, but baseball is a strange game and even the most talented teams can look like the Bad News Bears at times. Congrats to the Huskers!
Oh give it a rest. How many posters were REALLY calling for his head? <5% on a message board, where posters tend to be more outspoken and negative? The "woe is Erstad stuff Sipple has spoon fed all you guys is kind of lame.

Oh give it a rest. How many posters were REALLY calling for his head? <5% on a message board, where posters tend to be more outspoken and negative? The "woe is Erstad stuff Sipple has spoon fed all you guys is kind of lame.
Give it a rest? YOU give it a rest! I'm congratulating the team for a job well done in a sport where even the good teams can have the wheels fall off at times. I've seen more than a little criticism here when the Huskers lose. I simply offer support and you ridicule that. OK got it. GBR!

Posts like this OP make me laugh. People wait for 6 years to win a conference championship in the weakest Power 5 baseball conference, and all of a sudden Erstad is f'ing Casey Stengl. Give it a rest already. In his 11th opportunity to win a conference title or tourney, he finally did it. At least Miles and Riley have a reason for having difficulty in this conference. It is a very good football and basketball conference.

Congratulations to the team, but with the amount of dough that we've put into baseball, and the strength of this conference, this should have happened a long time ago.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Give it a rest? YOU give it a rest! I'm congratulating the team for a job well done in a sport where even the good teams can have the wheels fall off at times. I've seen more than a little criticism here when the Huskers lose. I simply offer support and you ridicule that. OK got it. GBR!
Nowhere in the post I responded to did you talk about the team. Nothing but victim tears for a coach who was, and will never be on the hot seat. Keep slurping up that Sipple pudding. I can see I struck a nerve. Is that you Steve?

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Posts like this OP make me laugh. People wait for 6 years to win a conference championship in the weakest Power 5 baseball conference, and all of a sudden Erstad is f'ing Casey Stengl. Give it a rest already. In his 11th opportunity to win a conference title or tourney, he finally did it. At least Miles and Riley have a reason for having difficulty in this conference. It is a very good football and basketball conference.

Congratulations to the team, but with the amount of dough that we've put into baseball, and the strength of this conference, this should have happened a long time ago.

The Big Ten West is the weakest Power 5 division in college football.

Can we complain about the weather in Indiana? Looks awful the next few days...A 5 day tourney with rain is no good

Reactions: saluno22
Nowhere in the post I responded to did you talk about the team. Nothing but victim tears for a coach who was, and will never be on the hot seat. Keep slurping up that Sipple pudding. I can see I struck a nerve. Is that you Steve?
Evidently you didn't actually read my post. I said a TEAM can have really bad outings and that may have nothing to do with the manager. It's baseball. I could care less what Sipple says or thinks about Erstad. I think Erstad is a solid manager and is doing a decent job. I know it's a message board and you're free to express your opinion---I respect that. Maybe you could try being a little nicer to people.

Reactions: Suvey101885
Evidently you didn't actually read my post. I said a TEAM can have really bad outings and that may have nothing to do with the manager. It's baseball. I could care less what Sipple says or thinks about Erstad. I think Erstad is a solid manager and is doing a decent job. I know it's a message board and you're free to express your opinion---I respect that. Maybe you could try being a little nicer to people.
Like I said. Sorry I struck a nerve. Apparently that is mean?

The BiG TeN is rated 7th as a conference in baseball RPI.
That is equivalent to the Mountain West in football.

Sooo imagine this scenario:

Mike Riley coaches Nebraska in the Mountain West and hasn't won a conference championship in his first 5 years.
He starts his 6th season 1-2 in non-conference play.
Do you honestly think this board wouldn't be freaking out?

And finally they go 6-3 in conference and win it only after Boise St inexplicably loses at home to Utah St?
Would everybody be making all these threads mocking those who had doubts in Riley?

There is a difference between being supportive of a team that just won a championship vs constant posts about 'aren't we supposed to be firing the head coach wink wink', etc.

And to 463s point, who was actually calling for him to be fired anyway? I wasn't and neither was 463 or scheule or a few others. Maybe hoosker du was but i think there weren't many. Certainly not to the degree that some people would have you believe.

Mike Riley coaches Nebraska in the Mountain West and hasn't won a conference championship in his first 5 years.

And finally they go 6-3 in conference and win it only after Boise St inexplicably loses at home to Utah St?
Would everybody be making all these threads mocking those who had doubts in Riley?

There is a difference between being supportive of a team that just won a championship vs constant posts about 'aren't we supposed to be firing the head coach wink wink', etc.

And to 463s point, who was actually calling for him to be fired anyway? I wasn't and neither was 463 or scheule or a few others. Maybe hoosker du was but i think there weren't many. Certainly not to the degree that some people would have you believe.
This is a great post, and I rarely agree with you.

The critics usually are the loudest. You'll notice they commented loudly after the poor start and after each subsequent loss. I know who they were. They did the ol' hit and run and you couldn't find them after the Huskers won. It was an exciting year. Too bad they couldn't enjoy the ride. Don't worry. They'll be back just as soon as they're eliminated from the tourney (B1G and NCAA).

Reactions: Suvey101885

Ok, I get your point with respect to the conference equivalent to the Mountain West in college football since it's been over 50 years since a "Northern" school won the CWS----Ohio St. in 1966. With that said, why would anybody expect a similar level of success of our baseball program as compared to our football program? There's no winning tradition. I don't quite follow the analogy there. In terms of success or failure of our baseball program within our own conference, I would think this would fluctuate a lot from year to year because the level of talent on the field fluctuates greatly from year to year. Kids commit out of high school and then get drafted or play a few years then leave early. I think I read someplace 20% of college baseball players go on to play at some professional level vs. football players which is about 2%. I just think it's more difficult for a college baseball coach to keep a consistent level of talent on the roster from year to year and especially challenging in the Big Ten where schools just don't have the number of quality players in their backyard as colleges have in the warmer climates.

Complete BS. 5 of the 7 teams went to bowls last year. And we don't play just the West Division.

There are like 50 bowl games now, so that's not really saying much. We went to a bowl game with a losing record a couple years ago.

I'm talking on a year-to-year basis, the Big Ten West is incredibly weak. The East Division has 3 blue-blood programs. We have way more tradition and money than any other team in our division. No reason we shouldn't win the West almost every year.

There are like 50 bowl games now, so that's not really saying much. We went to a bowl game with a losing record a couple years ago.

I'm talking on a year-to-year basis, the Big Ten West is incredibly weak. The East Division has 3 blue-blood programs. We have way more tradition and money than any other team in our division. No reason we shouldn't win the West almost every year.

Winning the West is different than winning the conference in football. We should be winning the conference in baseball with regularity, but winning the conference in football would put us in the national championship hunt.

Winning the conference in baseball means that we won the 9th best conference in college baseball (from one publication). It's great to win it, but we're still a long ways from being included in any national championship talk.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
The Big Ten West is the weakest Power 5 division in college football.
This. We were the only division among the Power 5 conferences to have only one team ranked at the end of the season. And the best team averages 45ish when it comes to recruiting. This division should have been ours for the taking over the last six or seven years.

This. We were the only division among the Power 5 conferences to have only one team ranked at the end of the season. And the best team averages 45ish when it comes to recruiting. This division should have been ours for the taking over the last six or seven years.
Your point is well taken... the only thing I would say is there were 2 teams ranked in the B1G at the end of the season, weren't there? Michigan and Nebraska?

Your point is well taken... the only thing I would say is there were 2 teams ranked in the B1G at the end of the season, weren't there? Michigan and Nebraska?
I was responding to a quote about Football...B1G West. It is very similar to the B1G in baseball.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT