ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers: About Wisconsin?

soybean

Sep 30, 2001
You guys are without doubt some great football fans. But I have noticed over these past few years since you came into the Big10 that many, if not most, Nebraska fans seem to hold Wisconsin in higher regard than any other football program in the conference. Not Ohio State. Not Michigan. Not Michigan State. Not even Penn State.

My question is...why is that?

Wisconsin gets a little bit of a pass on a few things because of the Barry Alvarez Nebraska connection, but so far Wisconsin and Michigan State seem to have been respectable opponents to play, even when we lose. Solid, well-coached teams with fans that haven't talked a lot of trash. Ohio State fans who visit here often seem to be a bit full of themselves (and Urban Meyer, while he's one of the very best coaches in football is also a colossal jerk), and we have some history with Michigan (their fans are completely convinced they shouldn't have shared that '97 title and are still bitter about it, though little statistically suggests that they had the better team). Just what I've seen.

You guys are without doubt some great football fans. But I have noticed over these past few years since you came into the Big10 that many, if not most, Nebraska fans seem to hold Wisconsin in higher regard than any other football program in the conference. Not Ohio State. Not Michigan. Not Michigan State. Not even Penn State.

1. I dont think that's the case at all. In fact, I don't even know what you mean.

2. Nebraska fans don't hold any other program. In higher regard than Nebraska. We're Nebraska. We've won more games than any other program in your last 45 years. Nebraska is the only team in college football to have played for a National title in each of the last 5 decades; 1966, 70, 71, 83, 94, 95, 97, 2001.

1. I dont think that's the case at all. In fact, I don't even know what you mean.

2. Nebraska fans don't hold any other program. In higher regard than Nebraska. We're Nebraska. We've won more games than any other program in your last 45 years. Nebraska is the only team in college football to have played for a National title in each of the last 5 decades; 1966, 70, 71, 83, 94, 95, 97, 2001.

Yeah, I didn't mean imply that you guys favored Wisconsin over Nebraska. I meant other programs.

Not sure about Wisconsin. Personally, Michigan State and Ohio State I hold in high regard.

7546287.jpg

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Basically. We like Alverez, we like how Wisconsin was built and Wisconsin has beat us on the field pretty soundly.

Can't speak for others, but here's my take. Wiscy is a division team, and so far they've been the team to beat in our division. And they've put it on us in an embarrassing fashion. Call me homer if you like, but we shouldn't be losing to them.

Penn St. has been worse then us since we've entered the conference. Now they have their scholarships back, but they're not in a position to compete for at least a couple of years.

If NU fans are homers, Michigan fans are homers on steroids. And they've been worse then us. Maybe Harbaugh will make them relevant again. I'm sure some Michigan fan will post here "we" are going to be great and how "we" will "claim" the programs 85th national championship. Well, WE are not Michigan, so don't use "we" over here. And two, the only people who care about local newspapers declaring #1's in the days of leather helmets are Michigan fans.

That leaves OhSU and MSU, both of which are not in our division. I suppose we don't talk about them as much because they haven't embarrassed us like Wiscy has.

I have not the slightest idea where the op's premise comes from. Certainly I do not hold the "Wisconsin football program in higher regard" than Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, historic bluebloods. I'm not sure upon what historic basis anyone would. (Sandusky stuff aside.)

I look at Wisconsin and all I can think of is why isn't Nebraska better than Wisconsin like it's supposed to be? Mostly because I'm a bit of an arrogant, selfish ass, but that's what I think.

It's about Nebraska for me, not Wisconsin, although I have plenty of respect for Wisconsin's success over the last couple decades.

Missed at least two more: 1981 and 1992 seasons both ended with bowl losses that cost N a national championship.

I wouldnt say higher regard than say ohio st. Or michigan or Michigan St. but we do hold Wisconsin in high regard because they beat our ass every yr

Every is not true but they (Wiscy) has done better than we have against each other since joining the B1G...

Personally, I respect the hell out of Mich St and Ohio St...not as much respect for the others schools. It's kind of a chicken and the egg deal on the rest, is it us sucking that has made the others do well or are the other schools better than we are lately (I don't think I like the answer to either option)?

NU alum Alvarez and his ties to NU is a huge deal for the old school Huskers. Frankly there are some fans that feel Wisky's success in football started with Alveraz (and that most of that was taken from his Devaney/Nebraska roots). Outside of that, most Huskers aren't enamored with Sconnie but they do acknowledge the beatdowns given.

GBR

We have beaten every major school in this conference.

Only school I hold in high regard is OSU.

Michigan St was lucky to beat us last year and caught us with a freshmen QB the year before.

Michigan St was lucky to beat us last year and caught us with a freshmen QB the year before.
We were lucky to be in that Sparty game, but whatevs.

Reactions: Cornicator
Barry made Wisconsin another Nebraska.
Then Nebraska stopped being Nebraska.
So then Wisconsin was the only Nebraska.
So that's weird.

Wisconsin gets a little bit of a pass on a few things because of the Barry Alvarez Nebraska connection, but so far Wisconsin and Michigan State seem to have been respectable opponents to play, even when we lose. Solid, well-coached teams with fans that haven't talked a lot of trash. Ohio State fans who visit here often seem to be a bit full of themselves (and Urban Meyer, while he's one of the very best coaches in football is also a colossal jerk), and we have some history with Michigan (their fans are completely convinced they shouldn't have shared that '97 title and are still bitter about it, though little statistically suggests that they had the better team). Just what I've seen.

At the first Nebraska game at Wisconsin, their students were the worst students I have ever been around. That being said, I respect the consistency of their program over the last several years.

That leaves OhSU and MSU, both of which are not in our division. I suppose we don't talk about them as much because they haven't embarrassed us like Wiscy has.

63-38 in 2012 was kind of embarrassing but maybe that's just me.

63-38 in 2012 was kind of embarrassing but maybe that's just me.

Sure, but it was just once. We also got steamrolled by Michigan once, but we're used to suffering these regular landslides to various teams since 2000. Wisconsin has stomped on NU THREE times since entering the league, and is more of a local regular rival than the eastern teams.

MSU lucky to beat us last year??? WTF? We were manhandled in that game...to the point that MSU got bored and allowed us back in the game. The only thing that game showed me was that Bo and his sh*t coaching staff had taken us to the depths of mediocrity, and that MSU had passed us up in resounding fashion in one year's time. The score in that game was in no way indicative of how closely the game was played. We got beaten soundly.

Wisky has had some amazing success over the last 5-6 years, the kind of success NU feels they should always have. Congrats on everything you've accomplished. Having said all that, Wisky will fall off a cliff sooner rather than later. I suspect the next few years are going to be a huge reality check. I do like 'em though, how could you not? Tough o-lines, great backs, well coached, etc. But 3 different coaches in a recent amount of time, admission standards that seem really weird, Harbaugh and MR joining the conference....all of it will add up to their demise IMO. We'll see. I also view some of their success as just as much lucky as good. Ohio State with Tressel getting trouble then the probation following, it left a vacancy for somebody to fill, Wisky was it. However, the B1G was beyond dreadful during that time. Now with everyone at full strength and better coaches from top to bottom, it's gonna be tough sledding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT