ADVERTISEMENT

Husker QB target Reese Mooney with crystal ball...

The Crystal Ball is from a Mississippi State writer, which is odd.

I would think Zane Flores from Gretna would be our top QB target for the 2023 class.

I believe that Miss State analysis was the guy handling Mooney recruitment or something like that. He obviously got told something via Mooney or something like that and dropped a CB prediction for the Huskers.

“I would think Zane Flores from Gretna would be our top QB target for the 2023 class.”

Not when you have a QB like Reese Mooney wanting to be a Husker. Then you top that off with him being a solid baseball player on top of that. There’s a possibility he could play both sports. But who knows, maybe we go after both QBs?

Last edited:
I believe that Miss State analysis was the guy handling Mooney recruitment or something like that. He obviously got told something via Mooney or something like that and dropped a CB prediction for the Huskers.

“I would think Zane Flores from Gretna would be our top QB target for the 2023 class.”

Not when you have a QB like Reese Mooney wanting to be a Husker. Then you top that off with him being a solid baseball player on top of that. There’s a possibility he could play both sports. But who knows, maybe we go after both QBs?

Enlighten us, what is so special about Reese Mooney? Not being critical or sarcastic, just don't know much about 2023 recruits.

I just watched some of his film and three things stuck-out for me:

1. A bit undersized and many of his throws were outside the pocket to assist with visibility.

2. Seems to be an accurate passer.

3. Arm strength doesn't appear to be quite there yet. Of course you can develop increased velocity on the ball, but many of the throws in his film would likely be picked by D1 DB's.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I just watched some of his film and three things stuck-out for me:

1. A bit undersized and many of his throws were outside the pocket to assist with visibility.

2. Seems to be an accurate passer.

3. Arm strength doesn't appear to be quite there yet. Of course you can develop increased velocity on the ball, but many of the throws in his film would likely be picked by D1 DB's.

If a 15 year-old QB isn't good enough to outduel D1 DBs, then I don't want the kid.

Denham Springs was 1-7 last season and averaged about 18 points per game, not that that makes Mooney a bad QB, just saying that it doesn't appear that the team has a lot of talent or all the talent is sophomores.

What would have to happen for the Huskers to take a serious look at Nate Glantz from IWCC? From what I’ve read he’s eligible after completing this semester at Juco, and wants that D-1 offer.
GBR!

That's fine, but I don't think Mooney should be our only QB in the class, especially if there's a chance he could be drafted into the MLB. We don't want another Bubba Starling/Carl Crawford situation again.

It's also a bit interesting that his team was one of the worst in Louisiana this year (1-7). But apparently he didn't start until the 2nd half of the season and threw for 1000 yards in 5 games.

Reactions: saltsdogg
What would have to happen for the Huskers to take a serious look at Nate Glantz from IWCC? From what I’ve read he’s eligible after completing this semester at Juco, and wants that D-1 offer.
GBR!
they'd have to swallow their pride?

Reactions: v1nufan
That's fine, but I don't think Mooney should be our only QB in the class, especially if there's a chance he could be drafted into the MLB. We don't want another Bubba Starling/Carl Crawford situation again.

It's also a bit interesting that his team was one of the worst in Louisiana this year (1-7). But apparently he didn't start until the 2nd half of the season and threw for 1000 yards in 5 games.

I cant disagree there. I say take both QBs if possible. Like you said, we seen how these 2 way sports athletes have panned out in the past. Starling ended up going pro in baseball and never made it here.

I cant disagree there. I say take both QBs if possible. Like you said, we seen how these 2 way sports athletes have panned out in the past. Starling ended up going pro in baseball and never made it here.
I think we probably need to take 2 QBs this class. Either that or find a QB in the portal to go with a high school recruit.

seems almost all guys who have the option choose baseball. If I thought there was a good chance he'd play baseball, I'd probably look for another prospect. Not worth the risk.

Reactions: saltsdogg
seems almost all guys who have the option choose baseball. If I thought there was a good chance he'd play baseball, I'd probably look for another prospect. Not worth the risk.
And one down side to this, is if he came here and played both sports. He’d be in the middle of baseball season and miss spring camps every year he’s here. So I’m actually with you there. It’s one thing when it’s a DB, WR or some other position outside your QB. But I’m with you, I think I’d rather have our QB being a one sport guy.

Reactions: drubendall
And one down side to this, is if he came here and played both sports. He’d be in the middle of baseball season and miss spring camps every year he’s here. So I’m actually with you there. It’s one thing when it’s a DB, WR or some other position outside your QB. But I’m with you, I think I’d rather have our QB being a one sport guy.
Russell Wilson says hello. Not saying this kid would be Wilson but it would be foolish iMO to totally discount a kid who wanted to try to play both. Let him take 12 hours in the spring and do both. It can be done. When I see the cyrstal ball for NU though and I look at him I'm kind of wondering if he even has a commitable offer from NU yet.

How good of a baseball player? If he's a kid who could get drafted high, I would not waste a lot of time trying to recruit him.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
If he’s an elite baseball player that makes me nervous. What’s to stop another Crawford/Starling situation where this kid commits and then decides to go pro out of High School, leaving us high and dry while Flores goes to another school. No thanks.

The Crystal Ball is from a Mississippi State writer, which is odd.

I would think Zane Flores from Gretna would be our top QB target for the 2023 class.

Why would Flores be our top QB for 2023? Because he's from Gretna? Flores does not have a single D1 offer and this kid already has offers from: Nebraska, Miami, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Ole Miss, WVU, Houston, Cinnci, etc.

Reactions: Chuck003 and WHCSC
How good of a baseball player? If he's a kid who could get drafted high, I would not waste a lot of time trying to recruit him.
So apparently he’s the #1 rated SS prospect in the state of Louisiana and has committed to the University of Houston 11/2019. As mentioned in another post he wants to play both football and baseball in college and he also holds an offer in football from UH.
I find it interesting that only 2 SEC schools have offered in football so far and looks like he lives only a short distance from Baton Rouge. IMO, he’s waiting to see if LSU or maybe Bama extend an offer for football and both of those programs are in a position to be rather selective.
GBR!

He's been the starting QB since midway thru his Freshman season at the 2nd Largest High School in Louisiana.

He's also an elite HS baseball player.

Strange, I read where he lead the freshman team to a 9-1 record, and that he started 7 of 8 games his sophomore year, taking over after game 1.

Why would Flores be our top QB for 2023? Because he's from Gretna? Flores does not have a single D1 offer and this kid already has offers from: Nebraska, Miami, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Ole Miss, WVU, Houston, Cinnci, etc.
Love how this can be played both ways.

Flores: no offers, why bother, this other kid has offers!

Torres, Dick: no offers, no biggie, will have offers soon! We’re always first to offer!

I don’t know who will be better. We should take 2 QBs every year to avoid the mess we’ve been in the last 3, IMO.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Love how this can be played both ways.

Flores: no offers, big whoop, this other kid has offers!

Torres, Dick: no offers, no biggie, will have offers soon! We’re always first to offer!

I don’t know who will be better. We should take 2 QBs every year to avoid the mess we’ve been in the last 3, IMO.

I would have no problem taking multiple QB's, but why would Flores be our top QB recruit? I know he is talking to some schools, but he is he actually good (I honestly don't know)? Or should he just be the default because he is from Gretna? The Mooney kid is clearly considered a pretty big recruit, at this stage, so it seems very strange to me to dismiss him and say we should be after Flores instead, but like you, I'm OK with taking both if they are legit.

On the flip side, I am guilty of thinking Torres will probably end up with lot of offers; he is a big kid with a big arm and has offers from Nebraska, Utah, Kansas State, SDSU, Washington State. I also don't think he is our top guy and signing Torres probably mean we missed out on guys like Morris and Jackson.

I would have no problem taking multiple QB's, but why would Flores be our top QB recruit? I know he is talking to some schools, but he is he actually good (I honestly don't know)? Or should he just be the default because he is from Gretna? The Mooney kid is clearly considered a pretty big recruit, at this stage, so it seems very strange to me to dismiss him and say we should be after Flores instead, but like you, I'm OK with taking both if they are legit.

On the flip side, I am guilty of thinking Torres will probably end up with lot of offers; he is a big kid with a big arm and has offers from Nebraska, Utah, Kansas State, SDSU, Washington State. I also don't think he is our top guy and signing Torres probably mean we missed out on guys like Morris and Jackson.
I'm sure both will end up with a bunch of offers, and have no clue how basically any high school QB will translate to big time college football.

I also suspect Mooney's location allowed him much more visibility to coaches/camps coming up, and it's not crazy for young kids like him in that part of the country with arm talent to garner a ton of early offers.

I would always approve of Frost & Co going after the best QB in the state/radius in addition to a national target.

I'm guessing Flores doesn't have offers yet, because he hasn't been able to attend any camps yet due to Covid. Most major programs want to see a QB in person before offering. Mooney had visited many schools already before Covid.

I think Flores' film is pretty impressive for a sophomore, and he put up great stats. Iowa State, Iowa, Arizona State have all been recruiting him. I expect he will have plenty of interest this summer if he's able to attend camps and college visits.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Russell Wilson says hello. Not saying this kid would be Wilson but it would be foolish iMO to totally discount a kid who wanted to try to play both. Let him take 12 hours in the spring and do both. It can be done. When I see the cyrstal ball for NU though and I look at him I'm kind of wondering if he even has a commitable offer from NU yet.

oh, I know, there is always the exceptions. You can do that with almost any subject ever brought up. Now is that the case with Mooney?

Don’t get me wrong my man, scroll up a bit farther and you will see I love what I see in Reese Mooney as a potential Husker QB (and maybe even a Husker baseball player). If he wants to be a Husker. Then awesome. But I also see why some of us could worry some about it some. So I get it.

I like the logic that since Russell Wilson is short, we therefore should have no qualms in recruiting short quarterbacks. It's cute.

Also, Antonio Brown was a 0 star recruit.

Darren Sproles weighed 170 pounds.

Tom Brady ran a 5.28 40.

Maybe the secret for Nebraska's success is to recruit short, small, slow, unranked players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT