ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Hoopla , long but hopefully makes sense!

RYNO CHAPMAN

Walk On
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2005
Chandler, AZ
There seems to be a lot of debate on whether TP should come back for his senior year of eligibility or not. My opinion is that he should and Nebraska BB would benefit greatly by it come next season.

From a strictly financial argument one might say that TP should throw his name into the ring of the NBA draft right now but one reason and one reason only really supports that decision. His Age.

The majority of NBA teams don't really invest that often in 23 year old rookies anymore. It's unfortunate that with the way this season of Husker hoops played out that TP's stock took a major hit. In all reality (if he had that crystal ball) after the end of last season would have been his optimal time to enter the draft. This season exposed some flaws in his game that maybe weren't as blatently obvious during last seasons magical run.

Maturity and leadership are the first two that come to mind. He has all the tools and potential but (maybe a lot of it comes from the fact his mind wasn't always right due to his sick mother - pray she gets better btw) but unfortunately life sometimes deals us obstacles in which we have to learn to deal with and then need to figure out a way to fight through the adversity to make due. I feel for him.

I especially felt for him due to the fact that we simply didn't have any one player on the team that could make plays. TP carried a lot of weight on his shoulders for this team offensively. Shields was helpful in this but for 80% of the season there was no one to step up and be that third option. Couple that with the fact that the Huskers didn't have a shooter ( let alone say PURE shooter) on this roster made it a nightmare for TP to contend with.

This is where one might say TP needed to step up and lead by maybe doing other things to help his team win like rebound, play solid D, look to involve other players in the game but when you really look at it this argument is null in void as well because other than Shields there was NEVER anyone with any semblance of any confidence to get the ball to. Even if TP and Shields would get the ball to teammates in scoring situations (other than Pitchford who would take too many 3's when he should jump fake and go to the rack more often) NOBODY would even look to score unless pressed into it with a shot clock violation nearing let alone shoot the ball with any confidence that it would actually go in!!

All in all a very disappointing season transpired but to place blame solely on the shoulders of one player is ludicrous. He is the most talented player on our roster. It was the coaching staff that needed to figure out how to get others to contribute and to do so with some coached up confidence! Miles will get this thing figured out Im sure of it. There is help on the way with the incoming frosh we have committed and with White in the wings.

TP could have an unreal year next season with these additions. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't guarantee my prediction on his final season in Scarlet n Cream but one thing I do know is that he should come back. Another year being around someone who genuinely cares for him like Miles obviously does would do him wonders. God willing his mother will improve and beat that nasty disease.

Husker Hoops will still need to get some type of inside presence on the court as well. We definitely need a big who can at least get 8-10pts/game and 7-10 boards. Hopefully Morrow who's kind of a tweener can fill this void for a season until Hammond can either drastically improve and play big or we actually finally land a decent big man to get it done!

In any case I believe that next year will be drastically different. Miles will have better more talented pieces to work with and hopefully with a clear headed TP in the fold a much more relaxed yet more mature player to rely on but not him ONLY to rely on to get things done!

If TP goes to professional bb I wish him all the best. But if he really assesses his situation I think we will see him back for his final year helping get the Husker hoops team back to the dance and then maybe his stock will rise again and he can pursue his quest to being a real asset on an NBA roster just maybe a little later than he originally thought!

GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News