ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Basketball and Coaching

mokrycki76

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2004
First Doc is not the total problem. I have heard he does not get the time he would like to coach defense. When he was our head coach he spent much more time on the D than the offense. Hoiberg is the opposite. You can't install a good D and expect everyone to get it in less time especially when the team only wants to play offense. No I can't confirm what I heard.
Now for the rest of you, get to the game earlier and watch our team warm up and do pre-game drills. Or lack of them. You have shooters trying to do 360 spinning dunks, 3 point shooters throwing the ball off the backboard so they could get a dunk, players moving way behind the 3point line and trying to hit a shot. That last one I saw two of our guards stand out above the top of the circle almost to the Nebraska emblem and one took 8 attempts and the other 7. Not one made. Several did not hit the rim. This was not an attempt at the end of a half play or end of game play they were just messing around.
Now watch some of the teams that come in and play us. Their shooters are shooting from their spots, over and over again. They move over to the right or left. They put a defender on them (oh with a hand up not down Bryce).
During these warm ups, I don't see our coaching staff out there watching or giving direction. The opposition will have coaching staff members out on the floor. Sometimes with brooms or large tackling dummies to use against the center. They take every opportunity to coach.
Now a little about Trey. When he was in a cast, Trey was out on the floor when no one else was there and he was taking shots. His bad foot resting on the scooter. He took FT's and the staff would just feed him. He has a passion to be better. He did the same from the corner and then a couple of other spots as well. Not just once, but I saw him do this at least three different games maybe more.
Verge and Bryce - It almost appears when Bryce is shooting and getting into the teens in points this upsets Verge and he then thinks he has to do more shooting. So he goes into his one on one mode - usually at the end of a game, stopping the momentum we had. It may just be me but I think he wants to be the "guy" and does not want Bryce to get all of the attention he does. Bryce can get to the rim with his speed and agility while Verge is fast, he lacks the height to do all of the moves Bryce has. Verge does spin some off the glass, but more fall hopelessly to the defender than go in.
I have watched lots of BB over my 67 years, and enjoy going to the games (even with the 45 minute drive from Papillion). I have not seen a team with less direction or coaching then this one. I would be getting rid of Hoiberg at the end of year (if not sooner), but I would have a coach ready for introduction to the team the day after the season is over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News