ADVERTISEMENT

Hunt and LeGrone

aNUstart

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 24, 2017
Orange County
Just read that they've been evicted from their apartment. Apparently, due to their arrests, they violated their lease. Seems odd that simply being arrested is a violation when they haven't even been charged. I realize the apartment owner is private enterprise and can put whatever they hell they want in a lease (within the confines of the law of course), but hello? Due process?

If it's in the lease and it's signed..... Could get a court challenge

Just read that they've been evicted from their apartment. Apparently, due to their arrests, they violated their lease. Seems odd that simply being arrested is a violation when they haven't even been charged. I realize the apartment owner is private enterprise and can put whatever they hell they want in a lease (within the confines of the law of course), but hello? Due process?
If there's a clause in the lease regarding even alleged criminal activity then they can be evicted. It's obvious that there's plenty of evidence to support their landlord. I have a lease form in my file that basically gives the landlord the right to evict a renter for "any cause deemed prudent". A lease is not a criminal court of law. It's a civil contract and the landlord doesn't need to have them be guilty of anything. Hell he can evict them for being too noisy.

If there's a clause in the lease regarding even alleged criminal activity then they can be evicted. It's obvious that there's plenty of evidence to support their landlord. I have a lease form in my file that basically gives the landlord the right to evict a renter for "any cause deemed prudent". A lease is not a criminal court of law. It's a civil contract and the landlord doesn't need to have them be guilty of anything. Hell he can evict them for being too noisy.

Yep. The landlord-tenant act makes it relatively easy to evict a lessee, it's the part about getting them to vacate that isn't, and recovering damages is almost impossible.

Title ix doesn't require beyond a reasonable doubt.
Since thats a sorta law, why not?
And no, I'm not for either, due process is the way, but title ix is precedent setting too.

Yep. The landlord-tenant act makes it relatively easy to evict a lessee, it's the part about getting them to vacate that isn't, and recovering damages is almost impossible.
Abandoning action to appease the courts, shameful

Happened to the Neo Nazi kid living at the View

Tell me about it. I found out the hard way that white trash low life dead beat renters have more rights than a landlord. And trust me they know it too. Sorry if I didn't let you know how I really feel about it

Tell me about it. I found out the hard way that white trash low life dead beat renters have more rights than a landlord. And trust me they know it too. Sorry if I didn't let you know how I really feel about it
Exactly. You almost screw yourself as a landlord by evicting someone. At least if you don’t then you are getting rent or the possibility of rent. Otherwise they can squat and owe you squat if you evict

If your lease is for residential property, if your "any cause deemed prudent" language was ever challenged, I suspect that you would have a hard time finding a court that would be okay with it, and as you know you would have to give them notice and time to fix the breach (except for a few exceptions) before you can evict them. There is specific language in the statutes that deals with alleged criminal activity.

Reactions: huskerfan66

The easiest way to get a deadbeat out is to deem the property abandoned. If you post a notice on their door and they dont respond within 72 hours you can go in and remove their belongings, but you have to place them in a storage facility. One mistake that I've seen landlords do is to turn the heat or water off, but they dont realize that a landlord is obligated to provide a rented unit with heat that maintains at least 50 degrees at any time and "reasonable amounts of hot water". Turn stuff off and the lessee can counter sue and receive damages. For particularly difficult tenants, you can give 24 hours notice that renovations will be performed and just do something as simple as removing the front door but that tends to just lead to the tenant further trashing the place. The biggest advantage that a landlord has with a tenant who can't pay the rent is that they probably can't afford a lawyer, so declaring a property abandoned is the best way to go, you just have to be quick about removing their possessions.

Exactly. You almost screw yourself as a landlord by evicting someone. At least if you don’t then you are getting rent or the possibility of rent. Otherwise they can squat and owe you squat if you evict
My experience is they wouldn't pay rent. Then they were on welfare assistance. Couldn't do anything about it because it was winter. They weren't paying utilities. City couldn't turn off utilities so guess where they sent the bills to. Went to court. Judge ruled in favor of us but the judge and county attorney said we were Sol trying to collect.

Moral of the story is don't get in that situation. UNFORTUNATELY, you legally can't ask the right questions

Like a legal decision with no action means anything, but the lawmakers and courts have spoken.
Not having the physical power to evict is worth only the paper the eviction notice is written on.

Finally got rid of them. No rent for over a year. They stole an etched glass door and left garbage bags full of clothes they got free from the local thrift store. Guess who got to spend 2 weeks cleaning up and got charged$300 for dumpster.........my wife

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Finally got rid of them. No rent for over a year. They stole an etched glass door and left garbage bags full of clothes they got free from the local thrift store. Guess who got to spend 2 weeks cleaning up and got charged$300 for dumpster.........my wife
Did you take a bottle of whiskey to the county attorney? That’s the word on the street he won’t do squat unless he get favors like booze and lots of it

What are you talking about. The only way this happens is if your attorney is clueless. Eviction order for nonpayment of rent can be achieved in less than a month.

I'd want these guys out immediately, too, no matter the cost, if for no other reason than to protect your other renters from these predators.

According to ESPN, "Hunt and LeGrone have been named in additional police reports of alleged sex offenses filed within the past week, according to records obtained by Outside the Lines on Wednesday and a source familiar with those records. The reports include an August 2018 report of alleged rape naming LeGrone and another player, and a September 2018 alleged rape naming LeGrone; a February 2019 alleged rape naming Hunt; two April 2019 reports of alleged sexual molestation/fondling filed by two separate women naming both men; and an alleged rape naming both men that occurred between Aug. 18, 2018, and Oct. 31, 2018, according to the records and the source familiar."

Did you take a bottle of whiskey to the county attorney? That’s the word on the street he won’t do squat unless he get favors like booze and lots of it
Never thought of that. Been quite awhile ago

What are you talking about. The only way this happens is if your attorney is clueless. Eviction order for nonpayment of rent can be achieved in less than a month.
Hmmm. I feel like Lucy off of Peanuts. "I've been robbed I tell you, ROBBED"

You can get an order, but that is predicated on the tenants voluntarily moving out. If they don't, you go to court again after 30 days and the judge has to order the sheriff to remove them which can take another 2 months.

No doubt. Or Charlie Brown who keeps trying to kick that ball and has it pulled away at the last second. Either way, you sound like a marked man.
It's too bad. The first renter we had was WONDERFUL. Beginner's luck. It steadily went downhill. Now we don't rent anymore

You can get an order, but that is predicated on the tenants voluntarily moving out. If they don't, you go to court again after 30 days and the judge has to order the sheriff to remove them which can take another 2 months.
30 days and 2 months is not normal.

If your lease is for residential property, if your "any cause deemed prudent" language was ever challenged, I suspect that you would have a hard time finding a court that would be okay with it, and as you know you would have to give them notice and time to fix the breach (except for a few exceptions) before you can evict them. There is specific language in the statutes that deals with alleged criminal activity.
Depends on what state the property is in I would imagine. I'm not in Nebraska and my state in general is more favorable to property owners on most things.

I'm an attorney in Lincoln that does a lot of landlord-tenant work. Just so people know, it takes about a month to evict someone for non-payment of rent (7 day notice, 10-14 days to get eviction hearing, 2-3 days to get eviction order served). It also isn't hard to get tenants out after an eviction order. Once you have the order a Sheriff or Constable serves the writ,and removes the tenant, and accompanies the landlord to do a lock change. Collecting the past due money owed and/or damages to the apartment is not nearly as easy.

As for eviction for criminal/violent conduct, it's a bit more complicated but you don't need a conviction. You do need good evidence that the conduct occured though.

That would be odd if that is the only thing in the filing.

It's possible they can't pay rent after losing their stipend as a result of being arrested.

In a filing you put everything in to see what sticks. I guess the whole situation is some measure of moral turpitude and not something the apartments and other tenants want to be associated with.

I have contemplated buying/ renting out properties, but have heard horror stories with tenants not leaving or trashing the place before they do.

Completely off topic but what are they waiting for? My prediction is either they will not be charged or they will face multiple charges

I have contemplated buying/ renting out properties, but have heard horror stories with tenants not leaving or trashing the place before they do.

There are ample horror stories. We only have two homes we rent. We have had one for 4 years and just had the renter move. The other 2 years, we gutted it and it is now rented bringing a nice monthly income. There are many variables as to what you buy, location, how you screen your renters. We figure we easily clear 10% on our money and still have th asset when it is done. Some prefer to just pay them off over time but we have already paid one off. Having a handful of paid for properties can bring in a nice income later in life. It isn't for everyone though, there are some real dandies out there.

Reactions: husker2612
In general it's not a bad business to be in, but if you are going to do it dont just think that 1 or 2 are ever going to be worth it. Like any other investment you kind of need to diversify because you can take a loss from one part but make up for it with the others and have a pretty good hedge. You kind of have to get into it knowing that at any given time you can lose 20-80% of your projected income in a year if things go sour, and that is regardless of whether it's a perfect property or a slum. The biggest mistake that people who want to get into the rental business make is thinking that they can buy 1 and it will be passive income that will make them 500 bucks or more every month in perpetuity. It's not a retirement plan, it's a business that has to deal with the same cash flow issues that any business does. If you're going to do it, you should probably have at least 10 units to get your risk down to the same level as just investing in a conservative mutual fund.

There are ample horror stories. We only have two homes we rent. We have had one for 4 years and just had the renter move. The other 2 years, we gutted it and it is now rented bringing a nice monthly income. There are many variables as to what you buy, location, how you screen your renters. We figure we easily clear 10% on our money and still have th asset when it is done. Some prefer to just pay them off over time but we have already paid one off. Having a handful of paid for properties can bring in a nice income later in life. It isn't for everyone though, there are some real dandies out there.

If you can achieve a 10% cap rate over time that's a pretty good return. I won't look at anything going into it with less than 25% (when I started it was 30%) because it's almost a guarantee that it will be cut in half by something unexpected. It amazes me that people buy rental properties with best case scenarios of 10-12%, thinking it will just always cash flow that well.

In general it's not a bad business to be in, but if you are going to do it dont just think that 1 or 2 are ever going to be worth it. Like any other investment you kind of need to diversify because you can take a loss from one part but make up for it with the others and have a pretty good hedge. You kind of have to get into it knowing that at any given time you can lose 20-80% of your projected income in a year if things go sour, and that is regardless of whether it's a perfect property or a slum. The biggest mistake that people who want to get into the rental business make is thinking that they can buy 1 and it will be passive income that will make them 500 bucks or more every month in perpetuity. It's not a retirement plan, it's a business that has to deal with the same cash flow issues that any business does. If you're going to do it, you should probably have at least 10 units to get your risk down to the same level as just investing in a conservative mutual fund.
How does one get/ afford 10 properties? Without being a Millionaire or making $500,000+ a year?

How does one get/ afford 10 properties? Without being a Millionaire or making $500,000+ a year?
Leverage, which is also a risk. Financing a property isn't a terrible idea just as long as you account for the potential loss of at least 6 months of rent and what percentage you have to borrow. I bought my first property in 96 when I was still in high school, but it was a 5-plex and I only had to put 10% down. Even with projected vacancy and repairs it still had a cap rate of over 15% so worst case scenario I'd be making a few hundred bucks a month and best case scenario I'd clear about 1500. The bank had 90% of the risk. It's a little bit riskier now that a lot of banks want 30% down so those numbers today would drop into the negatives in the worst case scenario.

Right now I have a commercial property that at one time was clearing 2400/month but it is now an EPA Superfund site so its vacant and it costs me about 1300/month in cash flow. Pretty good example of how it can be a risk that some people shouldnt take if they are thinking a single property is a good idea.

I'd want these guys out immediately, too, no matter the cost, if for no other reason than to protect your other renters from these predators.

According to ESPN, "Hunt and LeGrone have been named in additional police reports of alleged sex offenses filed within the past week, according to records obtained by Outside the Lines on Wednesday and a source familiar with those records. The reports include an August 2018 report of alleged rape naming LeGrone and another player, and a September 2018 alleged rape naming LeGrone; a February 2019 alleged rape naming Hunt; two April 2019 reports of alleged sexual molestation/fondling filed by two separate women naming both men; and an alleged rape naming both men that occurred between Aug. 18, 2018, and Oct. 31, 2018, according to the records and the source familiar."

that’s insane. WTF?

Reactions: artguy68
Leverage, which is also a risk. Financing a property isn't a terrible idea just as long as you account for the potential loss of at least 6 months of rent and what percentage you have to borrow. I bought my first property in 96 when I was still in high school, but it was a 5-plex and I only had to put 10% down. Even with projected vacancy and repairs it still had a cap rate of over 15% so worst case scenario I'd be making a few hundred bucks a month and best case scenario I'd clear about 1500. The bank had 90% of the risk. It's a little bit riskier now that a lot of banks want 30% down so those numbers today would drop into the negatives in the worst case scenario.

Right now I have a commercial property that at one time was clearing 2400/month but it is now an EPA Superfund site so its vacant and it costs me about 1300/month in cash flow. Pretty good example of how it can be a risk that some people shouldnt take if they are thinking a single property is a good idea.
Thanks for the info! Im a handyman/do it yourself er. Thought about flipping properties as well and just reselling, since I would be able to do most of the repairs and construction myself. Had any luck with flipping?

Thanks for the info! Im a handyman/do it yourself er. Thought about flipping properties as well and just reselling, since I would be able to do most of the repairs and construction myself. Had any luck with flipping?

That's about half of what I do now, and yes I've had pretty good luck with it, but here again it's a business not an investment. You make your money on the buy, but if you're able to do the work yourself there is a lot more to be made. One of the tricks is figuring out which input costs get the best return and that varies from house to house and the neighborhood. Step 1, which is the one most flippers screw up is to set your purchase price and not start negotiating up from it. My ex-wife had a tendency to fall in love with properties having grand visions of the remodel and every one of them we either lost money or broke even. You wouldn't think going 5 or 10 grand above what you wanted to spend is that big of a deal, but sometimes it's your profit margin and you can give it away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT