ADVERTISEMENT

Howard Hawks Not Seeking Re-Election on UNL Board of Regents

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
Reported in the World-Herald today that HH isn't running for District 2, which covers most of Sarpy County and a portion of Douglas County. Didn't realize he was 84, maybe he's ready to retire on an island he bought.

Mike Kennedy and Jack Stark look to be front-runners for the vacancy. I'm sure Hawks will still be a major donor, but little bit of a shake up in store for the University of Nebraska system.

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
Reported in the World-Herald today that HH isn't running for District 2, which covers most of Sarpy County and a portion of Douglas County. Didn't realize he was 84, maybe he's ready to retire on an island he bought.

Mike Kennedy and Jack Stark look to be front-runners for the vacancy. I'm sure Hawks will still be a major donor, but little bit of a shake up in store for the University of Nebraska system.

Hmmm, and I thought he only directed movies! :D

Is that a big deal? I don't really follow much of that.

I haven't voted for them much either in the past but it's more important than I thought. On Dec. 5, Ted Carter took over for Bounds. Guys like Howard Hawks and the other regents vote decide on university budget cuts, changes in tuition costs for students, but most importantly for us all here on this board because the regents hire the presidents who hire athletic directors who hire head football coaches. Hawks played a key role in bringing Scott back here. We've seen previous athletic directors and coaches the past 20 years drive the Nebraska brand into the ground, and Hawks was largely responsible for overseeing the hires of Bounds, Greene and Moos.

If anything, I'll be paying much closer attention because tuition is astronomically expensive.

Reactions: saluno22
well considering it is on the general election ballot I hope every registered voter does.

Yeah but you can't really think that even 10% of the voters have a freaking clue about these people...it is basically just guessing...sort of like I did when I took my drivers test...sure I passed but...well.

What kind of losers actually vote in these elections?
It's on the general ballot so I'm assuming we MAY see it on our primary ballots (in the region he represents that is). Pretty sure they're on a rotating basis so the whole board isn't potentially turned over at one time. I assume they are 4 year terms

It's on the general ballot so I'm assuming we MAY see it on our primary ballots (in the region he represents that is). Pretty sure they're on a rotating basis so the whole board isn't potentially turned over at one time. I assume they are 4 year terms
Yeah, I think you are correct.

Regent have a 6 year term like Senators. Might be the reason some don't remember them on the ballot. There 8 total elected Regents divided into different districts throughout the state.. Three are up for election this year: Tim Clare (District 1 -Lincoln) , Howard Hawks (District 2 - Omaha/Sarpy), and Robert Schafer (District 5 - SE Nebraska).

I also wonder why anyone would care, but probably for different reasons than JRE. Our state has a very static economy, with ag being the biggest piece of it. Our politicians bang the table and scream about no new taxes, so they just continue to raise property taxes. Then the governor gets riled up and says the university has to cut its budget, so they rattle the dishes and "cut programs" that usually result in a couple of lowly paid secretaries losing their jobs. No highly paid professors, of course. Then, to top it off, we hire a university president with no experience in education and pay him a mil a year.

So year, who cares?

I also wonder why anyone would care, but probably for different reasons than JRE. Our state has a very static economy, with ag being the biggest piece of it. Our politicians bang the table and scream about no new taxes, so they just continue to raise property taxes. Then the governor gets riled up and says the university has to cut its budget, so they rattle the dishes and "cut programs" that usually result in a couple of lowly paid secretaries losing their jobs. No highly paid professors, of course. Then, to top it off, we hire a university president with no experience in education and pay him a mil a year.

So year, who cares?
The U.S. Naval Academy s a highly regarded university and his tenure leading the institution is considered successful.

Reactions: tpmcg

He's done well to the University of Nebraska. And I'm sure will continue that well into the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT