ADVERTISEMENT

How will RSS handle this?

MoFracky

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2005
Omaha
A week before gameday and all is quiet in this RSS house divided. Like a dysfunctional family just arriving for thanksgiving dinner exchanging fake pleasantries as the first drinks are poured. Make no mistake about it, someone is getting wasted and calling their brother a dumba$$ a-hole soon and punches will be thrown.

Gone are the "Bo-lievers" and "Bo-leavers". They have been succeeded by the "Win 9 or else"- Hatfield's and the "Just win the games we should, don't get blown out" - McCoy's. Which one are you? The first ugly performance (and there will be one - how could there not??) will hurt for sure, but the entertainment value on this board will take the sting out of it for me.

There is also a 3rd family. Its "Husker Nation" and win or lose we are but one family in our undying support for Big Red. But what fun would it be if we were all with them? No good RSS meltdown is fulfilling with them as both the Hatfield's and McCoy's are united in their hate for them.

In a moment of seriousness, this is a fascinating time. There are no coaches to put on a hot seat. No backup QB's to clamor for. No distinctly educated predictions that we can firmly rely on to make us feel comfortable heading into game week. No matter what we see next week or all season, its going to evolve. Yes Riley is known as a QB whisperer of sorts and a player developer, but its entirely possible the magnitude of all things Husker swallow him an Co. up. He's faced pressure before in the NFL, but this kind will be different....special. That in my mind, is the real question that could dictate how this whole grand experiment goes. How will this staff handle Husker Nation when things go bad? My prediction: The opposite of what we have seen the past 10 years. There will be self accountability, reliance on togetherness, and a commitment to get better. Will it be enough to satiate the championship starved fan base? For a while maybe. But perhaps, just maybe. Eventually, of course, big wins must happen and rings must be sized. The grace Riley will show just could unite the fan base in a way we have not ever seen in the RSS era. If not, I'll at least enjoy watching the meltdowns happen right here. Have a happy husker season Y'all. GBR!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.