ADVERTISEMENT

How was Chinander not fired???

Trev can fire who he wants...I doubt he will but I would have loved Mickey to bounce Chins today.
The issue is you already should be doing install for OU. As bad as Chin has been, it’s a bad time to can your DC. I could see it happening Saturday night before a

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Although Trev could do as he pleases, that would completely undermine every sport from the equipment manager to the coordinators. One person SHOULD do the hiring and firing and thats the HC. I bet Mickey makes a change soon but who is available at the 3rd week of the season with colleges in full swing and week 1 of the NFL?
Dawson was a successful DC at New Hampshire

Reactions: fyrefightr
Although Trev could do as he pleases, that would completely undermine every sport from the equipment manager to the coordinators. One person SHOULD do the hiring and firing and thats the HC. I bet Mickey makes a change soon but who is available at the 3rd week of the season with colleges in full swing and week 1 of the NFL?
You just gave up the most yards in Memorial stadium to Georgia Southern (who cares).

Yes this isn’t last year when we canned 4 offensive assistants with 2 weeks left, we have 9 games left, Mickey will give someone else the DC responsibilities.
Didn't Trev say in his press conference that when Mickey met with the team he told them there would be changes made? I think we have to give Mickey a chance to make these changes.

Agree with much of what you have to say. For NU to sit back, get their brains beat out makes little sense to me. NU has some athletes on defense, it's time to use them.

I'd go with the 3-4, and I'd have Robinson, Nash and Feist on the bench for starters, they can provide backup snaps, but after 3 games it's obvious they bring nothing to the defense. Collectively they have 9 tackles, 6 assists or a total of 15. Wynn has 5 solo, 10 assists, for 15 by himself. Drew has only 2, but it's time to send a message to the starters that they don't own the position.

Wynn and Drew should be given a chance to start, based on experience and the lack of production by the regular starters. NU has Weaver, Buckley, Newsom and Black to give snaps to. You never know how some of these kids might react if they actually think they have a chance to play. In most cases, they are backups for a reason, but not always.

I'd insert Clement at LB. He's the only natural blitzer they have. His game is chasing the ball, splitting gaps and going after the ball. It may not work in this game, but he brings the element of making something happen. I think Ruud wants everything so tight and controlled he just doesn't let a kid do what a kid might be really good at.

I'd pinch those CB's in tight on the receiver and see how good they are. We already know NU can sit back and get picked apart and then come up and miss the tackles, wonder how they do if they actually challenge the receivers.

Another game of giving up the inside on slants is another day at the track meet.

Those safeties can move up. The only time they tried Hill on a walkdown blitz, if he hadn't mistimed the snap, he would have been right in the QB's face.

Much of this is done tongue and cheek. NU has to get some kids on the field who can run. They can all miss tackles, I'd just as soon they be moving fast when they do.

The fastest way to send a message to those comfortable starters who aren't producing is to give someone else those snaps. It can serve as a wake up call, it can motivate those kids, some of whom may be talented, that they might actually become a factor on the field.

Mickey gets a free pass this game due to the timing AND the opponent. (He has a built-in scapegoat if the defense is a disaster). He may as well experiment and see what NU may have to offer after the bye week. A lot of teaching can occur in 2 weeks, so if a kid looks like he has an upside, it's time to see if he can bring something new to a unit that's lacking.
I’ll disagree on one point. Hutmacher is a run stuffing Nose. If we’re running a 3-4 he needs to be on the field quite a bit. No he’s not going to run anybody down but he’s hard to move and draws doubles

oh and Clement blew a run fit the one time I saw him in the game Saturday. I had to look his number on the roster because of what a crappy move he made

Mickey will give Chinander input this week and see how it goes. If Mickey doesn't like what he sees he may let him go given the bye week to prepare for the next game.
As much as I'd like to see Chins gone, this makes the most sense

You guys are the lucky ones. Think how awful it is for us Hawkeye fans. All we can take solace in is that we finally made it to #1–we’re #131 out of 131 in total offense!!!
You guys are the worst offense, and we're the worst defense. Woo hoo!

I’ll disagree on one point. Hutmacher is a run stuffing Nose. If we’re running a 3-4 he needs to be on the field quite a bit. No he’s not going to run anybody down but he’s hard to move and draws doubles

oh and Clement blew a run fit the one time I saw him in the game Saturday. I had to look his number on the roster because of what a crappy move he made
lol. It would have been a half dozen less missed tackles had Henrich been manning the post.

It's not fair to highlight one missed tackle cause its a squad wide issue.
His strength is chasing the ball and shooting the gap. He plays a bit like is hair is on fire, and I like that. I'm not so much a fan of a player who sits there and has to analyze a play before they start to react.

If Nash is a run stuffer than why can't NU stop the run? He's a big, strong, slower than molasses DLmen. Hopefully, the more he plays the more he will become the type of player some think he might be. He came from such a small class of schools its gonna take him a long time to adjust to the size and speed of those blocking him.

At this point, us fans just have to hope the Defense will begin to at least force an occassional punt. Until Chin, or whoever, is able to quit being so well read by opposing OC its gonna be a frustrating unit to watch.

The sooner they get rid of Duvall the better. We have a squad of tall kids who can't bend at the waist and lose leverage naturally. Half squats are a perfect way to get strong guys who have no flexibility.

A guy like Benhart should have natural leverage, yet, he is almost always upright and loses that built in advantage. Combine that with cement shoes he takes a long step to the right and they go left, he long steps left and they go right. Wide feet and the loss of leverage makes for a lot of missed blocks.

Good points dingle. We all see things a bit different. At least we can discuss those differences.

Last edited:
lol. It would have been a half dozen less missed tackles had Henrich been manning the post.

It's not fair to highlight one missed tackle cause its a squad wide issue.
His strength is chasing the ball and shooting the gap. He plays a bit like is hair is on fire, and I like that. I'm not so much a fan of a player who sits there and has to analyze a play before they start to react.

If Nash is a run stuffer than why can't NU stop the run? He's a big, strong, slower than molasses DLmen. Hopefully, the more he plays the more he will become the type of player some think he might be. He came from such a small class of schools its gonna take him a long time to adjust to the size and speed of those blocking him.

At this point, us fans just have to hope the Defense will begin to at least force an occassional punt. Until Chin, or whoever, is able to quit being so well read by opposing OC its gonna be a frustrating unit to watch.

The sooner they get rid of Duvall the better. We have a squad of tall kids who can't bend at the waist and lose leverage naturally. Half squats are a perfect way to get strong guys who have no flexibility.

A guy like Benhart should have natural leverage, yet, he is almost always upright and loses that built in advantage. Combine that with cement shoes and it makes for a lot of missed blocks.

Good points dingle. We all see things a bit different. At least we can discuss those differences.
Nash mans his spot. Our other guys can’t handle theirs against the run.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree on Nash. Clement didn't do any worse on run fits than our starters have. But he's a natural blitzer, and if we're gonna be a 3-4, we better attack. Otherwise we better off as a 4-3.

Didn't Trev say in his press conference that when Mickey met with the team he told them there would be changes made? I think we have to give Mickey a chance to make these changes.
And I believe MJ is going to make some changes but you can’t fire multiple ACs with 9 games left there simply isn’t enough people available to fill in.

There were more than a few people on here that after the season last year wanted Chin to be named head coach. They were warned that last year's defense was not the norm or going to be the norm from Chin.

There were more than a few people on here that after the season last year wanted Chin to be named head coach. They were warned that last year's defense was not the norm or going to be the norm from Chin.
I humbly admit I was one of those. Now, I just want him gone like his buddy.

Reactions: Seascout3
The search for a new head coach is the number one priority right now. Mickey can try to salvage the rest of the season however he sees fit but whether he fires someone or not doesn't personally make me much difference at the moment.

Nash mans his spot. Our other guys can’t handle theirs against the run.
So, if Nash mans his spot because he is really big and strong, why wouldn't they give Weaver 15-20 snaps a game to "try" to do the same thing? He's bigger, heavier, and probably strong as a horse.

Yeah, he has conditioning issues but so did Damien for most of his career and he turned out to be a helluva run stopper.

I just think under Frost there was so much lack of development of so many players its possible NU has some real diamonds in the rough that can become real contributors.

Its frustrating the most talented, productive players are kids that transferred in and seem to be making impacts. That's not to say Anthony and Williams fit in that category.

I'd like to see Mickey ask Raiola who besides Corcoran is his best left guard, and who beside Benhart is his best left tackle, and then have him switch whoever that is to LG and move Corcoran to RT.

Corcoran was NOT good at tackle last year, but he's better than Benhart just because he's a lot more athletic and will occassionally block someone.

NU is at the point where experimentation is gonna get a pass this weekend.
If it doesn't work, but could work, that's what the bye week is for.

Hell, Osborne moved Brendan Stai from one side of the OL to the other just to specifically take on Warren Sapp in the Orange Bowl. NU is not targeting a particular opponent defender, but the time to experiment is now.

I can actually see NU becoming a decent team this year IF trial and error yields some results. If Mickey happens to hit on some novel ideas that work, then Mickey puts himself in the running for the full time gig.

I suspect there will be wholesale changes on this staff regardless if Mickey gets the job or not. The rebuild wll have to start with a HC who proves, or has proven he can do a good job, and I hope the position coaches come mainly from the NFL. NU has been overmatched in coaching talent for too many years. It's time to get serious.

I told my son today, NU needs a high caliber OL coach, high quality DC and LB coach and the rest of the staff seems more than capable. And I don't want to be unfair to Raiola because he's working with what he has.

Having Cam declare early and losing Nouili to his issue didn't help Raiola one bit, that cost him 40% of his probable starting unit.

The DC has to be one step ahead of the offense and be willing to adjust his schemes on the fly.

Edited: I just watched the replay and I think the OL is really coming along. It looks like both Bando and Lutovsky are improving. AND, Benhart really makes a nice block on the 5 yard line for Grant's td. It appears he is much better when he is in close contact and down blocking.

I notice a couple times where he got some double team help and that may become more frequent to help Benhart. When he can get in close contact, he can actually be somewhat physical. Lutovsky looks like he's gonna be a real hoss in a year or so. I thought Hixson played really well.

How that's gonna look against a really good defense is debateable.

Last edited:
Only 5th and 6th year seniors know how to tackle?
Tackling. That brings up a point that I have first-hand knowledge. One of our best friend's daughter, married a guy who works for a company that teaches tackling. Based out of Seattle and made-up of former rugby players. They got their start teaching Seahawk players how to tackle using rugby techniques. Pete Carroll is a true believer. Riley hired these consultants in his last year with the Huskers. When Scott took over, he made it clear he would not be needing the services of this company. He was quite confident that his staff could teach the team how to tackle properly.

I said last year that Chins should have parlayed last year's veteran defense into a new job....everyone knew the D would take a step back this year after losing all of those experienced guys.

A good defense plays as the score goes

If you have to hold them o 14 then a good defense will.

Not play good enough
That's absurd.

This post is proof that so many posters don’t even have a basic understanding of what a game day operation even involves and looks like do you think there’s just an entire new staff that’s been hanging out in the administrative building just in case?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
So, if Nash mans his spot because he is really big and strong, why wouldn't they give Weaver 15-20 snaps a game to "try" to do the same thing? He's bigger, heavier, and probably strong as a horse.

Yeah, he has conditioning issues but so did Damien for most of his career and he turned out to be a helluva run stopper.

I just think under Frost there was so much lack of development of so many players its possible NU has some real diamonds in the rough that can become real contributors.

Its frustrating the most talented, productive players are kids that transferred in and seem to be making impacts. That's not to say Anthony and Williams fit in that category.

I'd like to see Mickey ask Raiola who besides Corcoran is his best left guard, and who beside Benhart is his best left tackle, and then have him switch whoever that is to LG and move Corcoran to RT.

Corcoran was NOT good at tackle last year, but he's better than Benhart just because he's a lot more athletic and will occassionally block someone.

NU is at the point where experimentation is gonna get a pass this weekend.
If it doesn't work, but could work, that's what the bye week is for.

Hell, Osborne moved Brendan Stai from one side of the OL to the other just to specifically take on Warren Sapp in the Orange Bowl. NU is not targeting a particular opponent defender, but the time to experiment is now.

I can actually see NU becoming a decent team this year IF trial and error yields some results. If Mickey happens to hit on some novel ideas that work, then Mickey puts himself in the running for the full time gig.

I suspect there will be wholesale changes on this staff regardless if Mickey gets the job or not. The rebuild wll have to start with a HC who proves, or has proven he can do a good job, and I hope the position coaches come mainly from the NFL. NU has been overmatched in coaching talent for too many years. It's time to get serious.

I told my son today, NU needs a high caliber OL coach, high quality DC and LB coach and the rest of the staff seems more than capable. And I don't want to be unfair to Raiola because he's working with what he has.

Having Cam declare early and losing Nouili to his issue didn't help Raiola one bit, that cost him 40% of his probable starting unit.

The DC has to be one step ahead of the offense and be willing to adjust his schemes on the fly.

Edited: I just watched the replay and I think the OL is really coming along. It looks like both Bando and Lutovsky are improving. AND, Benhart really makes a nice block on the 5 yard line for Grant's td. It appears he is much better when he is in close contact and down blocking.

I notice a couple times where he got some double team help and that may become more frequent to help Benhart. When he can get in close contact, he can actually be somewhat physical. Lutovsky looks like he's gonna be a real hoss in a year or so. I thought Hixson played really well.

How that's gonna look against a really good defense is debateable.
Benhart can run block fine. He’s just not very agile going backwards

Reactions: WHCSC
Benhart can run block fine. He’s just not very agile going backwards
Seems as long as he's in close and in contact he can be effective.

Like you say when he's going backward he tends to take those elongated steps and the defender just wheels the opposite direction around him.

If they'd force him to train between two rows of 2 X 4's and keep an athletic position he would improve a ton.

You can even line a 2 X 4 within 3' of a wall and train someone the same way.

He's okay until he starts to get those feet wide, he not only loses his base but a good athletic stance, then he's gonna get worked.

Agree with much of what you have to say. For NU to sit back, get their brains beat out makes little sense to me. NU has some athletes on defense, it's time to use them.

I'd go with the 3-4, and I'd have Robinson, Nash and Feist on the bench for starters, they can provide backup snaps, but after 3 games it's obvious they bring nothing to the defense. Collectively they have 9 tackles, 6 assists or a total of 15. Wynn has 5 solo, 10 assists, for 15 by himself. Drew has only 2, but it's time to send a message to the starters that they don't own the position.

Wynn and Drew should be given a chance to start, based on experience and the lack of production by the regular starters. NU has Weaver, Buckley, Newsom and Black to give snaps to. You never know how some of these kids might react if they actually think they have a chance to play. In most cases, they are backups for a reason, but not always.

I'd insert Clement at LB. He's the only natural blitzer they have. His game is chasing the ball, splitting gaps and going after the ball. It may not work in this game, but he brings the element of making something happen. I think Ruud wants everything so tight and controlled he just doesn't let a kid do what a kid might be really good at.

I'd pinch those CB's in tight on the receiver and see how good they are. We already know NU can sit back and get picked apart and then come up and miss the tackles, wonder how they do if they actually challenge the receivers.

Another game of giving up the inside on slants is another day at the track meet.

Those safeties can move up. The only time they tried Hill on a walkdown blitz, if he hadn't mistimed the snap, he would have been right in the QB's face.

Much of this is done tongue and cheek. NU has to get some kids on the field who can run. They can all miss tackles, I'd just as soon they be moving fast when they do.

The fastest way to send a message to those comfortable starters who aren't producing is to give someone else those snaps. It can serve as a wake up call, it can motivate those kids, some of whom may be talented, that they might actually become a factor on the field.

Mickey gets a free pass this game due to the timing AND the opponent. (He has a built-in scapegoat if the defense is a disaster). He may as well experiment and see what NU may have to offer after the bye week. A lot of teaching can occur in 2 weeks, so if a kid looks like he has an upside, it's time to see if he can bring something new to a unit that's lacking.
Agree with your observations. Never understood how Feist got the nod over Wynn. I would add that because the inside backers can’t get off blocks or tackle (Ruud under the microscope), a 4-3 with both run/pass blitzing would be effective. It was said by other posters to remove Chin, which I agree with. Chin doesn’t make adjustments because he has zero back up plans to change to. Busch should be the DC. His experience and being part of winning programs, including a National Championship team gives him expertise that Chin has shown he doesn’t have.

Hope it isn’t Dawson… I’d like him to give Fisher the gig..
Why not Vance Joseph? He is a proven defensive coach at all levels, and would free up Mickey to address offense and recruiting without worrying about Chinander having a direct poisonous open channel to his best man Scotty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT