ADVERTISEMENT

How was Chinander not fired???

Dude just gave up a home Nebraska record vs Georgia Southern who RAN THE TRIPLE OPTION LAST YEAR. Came in year 1 (game 2) and absolutely ran up and down the field on you. Pathetic
Yep. He basically lets the qb get comfortable. I am shocked he still has a job. A real AD would have taken out both in one shot.

I just think you have to face reality that we play Oklahoma in 5 days and you can't just dump all the puzzle pieces in the middle of the table and start over. I think they'll scramble to put a defense on the field this week, and I think Joseph will be taking a hard look at what they're doing and he'll probably still get fired. I'm all for Busch being given the DC title right now. I'm actually hoping that the first thing MJ says is "full pads, we're knocking heads all week." You can't be tough up front with a "shorts and helmets" mentality.

I just think you have to face reality that we play Oklahoma in 5 days and you can't just dump all the puzzle pieces in the middle of the table and start over. I think they'll scramble to put a defense on the field this week, and I think Joseph will be taking a hard look at what they're doing and he'll probably still get fired. I'm all for Busch being given the DC title right now. I'm actually hoping that the first thing MJ says is "full pads, we're knocking heads all week." You can't be tough up front with a "shorts and helmets" mentality.
They look great on rankings and then they come here and can't tackle or make plays. We heard so much about the defensive line being great. More off season pump and dump.

I think in-season with rapid change it is almost easier to function short term without a head coach than without one of the coordinators

might take a bit longer to transition the def coordinator duties to someone else

Reactions: jkeb
Dude just gave up a home Nebraska record vs Georgia Southern who RAN THE TRIPLE OPTION LAST YEAR. Came in year 1 (game 2) and absolutely ran up and down the field on you. Pathetic
Cuz mid year you gotta have someone that can step into that role.

The mystery to me is understanding why the defense took such a step back this season. I just don't understand how the tackling could be so bad this year.

Reactions: salsa red
The mystery to me is understanding why the defense took such a step back this season. I just don't understand how the tackling could be so bad this year.
We only were good cause we had a ton of 5th and 6th year seniors because of Covid.

JoJo was 25 years old. Daniels 5th year. Stille 6th year. Thomas 5th year. Dismuke and Williams 6th year.

We only were good cause we had a ton of 5th and 6th year seniors because of Covid.

JoJo was 25 years old. Daniels 5th year. Stille 6th year. Thomas 5th year. Dismuke and Williams 6th year.

And still weren't that good.

If so we dont go 3-9

Reactions: Redblood23
There's nobody else remotely close qualified to lead the defense apparently...although I only partially agree with that. I'd prefer to have Bill Busch lead the defense for the remainder of the yr. vs. Eric Chinander.

I don't expect a new person calling the plays to suddenly make the defense a good defense. The talent is what the talent is. I want a new person calling the defensive plays solely because the current coach calling the plays obviously hasn't worked so it's time to try something new.

My biggest frustration over the 4+ years with the defense was the insistence on staying in base defense all the time regardless of who the opponent has on the field. Consistently matching linebackers up against quicker receivers only to see them get burned on shallow crossing routes to set up 2nd or 3rd and manageable. Same with playing 10 yards off the receivers and just conceding 5 yds if the opponent can throw a shallow out route consistently. They give up so much easy yardage expecting the opponent to make a mistake and yet it never consistently happened over the 4+ years because the opponent always has significant room for error.

More like the bonus extra year of experience provided them some advantages in terms of recognizing plays as they developed etc. Enough to overcome the inadequate scheme through mental and physical reps.
I'd agree with you IF they weren't missing tackles so badly when the offensive players were in their arms.

Agree with much of what you have to say. For NU to sit back, get their brains beat out makes little sense to me. NU has some athletes on defense, it's time to use them.

I'd go with the 3-4, and I'd have Robinson, Nash and Feist on the bench for starters, they can provide backup snaps, but after 3 games it's obvious they bring nothing to the defense. Collectively they have 9 tackles, 6 assists or a total of 15. Wynn has 5 solo, 10 assists, for 15 by himself. Drew has only 2, but it's time to send a message to the starters that they don't own the position.

Wynn and Drew should be given a chance to start, based on experience and the lack of production by the regular starters. NU has Weaver, Buckley, Newsom and Black to give snaps to. You never know how some of these kids might react if they actually think they have a chance to play. In most cases, they are backups for a reason, but not always.

I'd insert Clement at LB. He's the only natural blitzer they have. His game is chasing the ball, splitting gaps and going after the ball. It may not work in this game, but he brings the element of making something happen. I think Ruud wants everything so tight and controlled he just doesn't let a kid do what a kid might be really good at.

I'd pinch those CB's in tight on the receiver and see how good they are. We already know NU can sit back and get picked apart and then come up and miss the tackles, wonder how they do if they actually challenge the receivers.

Another game of giving up the inside on slants is another day at the track meet.

Those safeties can move up. The only time they tried Hill on a walkdown blitz, if he hadn't mistimed the snap, he would have been right in the QB's face.

Much of this is done tongue and cheek. NU has to get some kids on the field who can run. They can all miss tackles, I'd just as soon they be moving fast when they do.

The fastest way to send a message to those comfortable starters who aren't producing is to give someone else those snaps. It can serve as a wake up call, it can motivate those kids, some of whom may be talented, that they might actually become a factor on the field.

Mickey gets a free pass this game due to the timing AND the opponent. (He has a built-in scapegoat if the defense is a disaster). He may as well experiment and see what NU may have to offer after the bye week. A lot of teaching can occur in 2 weeks, so if a kid looks like he has an upside, it's time to see if he can bring something new to a unit that's lacking.

Last edited:
I am guessing this will not happen until we get boat raced by Oklahoma.
Maybe people forget that Nebraska’s offense was also nearly unstoppable this past week. I understand it was “just Georgia Southern” but this offense has some serious weapons. I think OU likely gets the win, but with our offense, I expect Nebraska to be in nearly every game until the end.

Although Trev could do as he pleases, that would completely undermine every sport from the equipment manager to the coordinators. One person SHOULD do the hiring and firing and thats the HC. I bet Mickey makes a change soon but who is available at the 3rd week of the season with colleges in full swing and week 1 of the NFL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT