ADVERTISEMENT

How good would Nebraska have been with Martinez

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
at QB in 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, or 99?

Pick a year, or years, make him a seasoned junior or senior like Frazier, Frost, or Crouch. We know what his skill set is from last year, he’s fast, elusive ( Tommie was wicked elusive, and Frost had great straight line speed, as did Crouch with some juke built in, as you know), and Adrian is a good passer to boot.

Time for a little fun, and please fellas, don’t snipe and fight about this, just have some what if fun here, ok?

Last edited:
Martinez is worlds better as a passer than either of them. What set frost and TF apart was their decision making in the option game. Hard to say how AM would do there, without taking thousands of reps.

If you throw out all the hypotheticals, you also have to look at durability. Would he have been durable enough to take all of the hits those guys did. Plus Adrian put the ball on the ground 12 times last year, only lost 6 but ball security can be an issue for him.

Pick a year, or years, make him a seasoned junior or senior like Frazier or Frost. We know what his skill set is from last year, he’s fast, elusive ( Tommie was wicked elusive, and Frost had great straight line speed, as you know), and Adrian is a good passer to boot.

Time for a little fun, and please fellas, don’t snipe and fight about this, just have some what if fun here, ok?
One of the biggest reasons those were great years was because Nebraska had great quarterbacks. Adrian might be the first quarterback in 18 years that could compete at the level of Frazier, Frost and Crouch.

If you throw out all the hypotheticals, you also have to look at durability. Would he have been durable enough to take all of the hits those guys did. Plus Adrian put the ball on the ground 12 times last year, only lost 6 but ball security can be an issue for him.
Do you think he makes a marked improvement in that Dept this year? Considering, he didn't play his Sr year of HS and has a full year of S&C under his belt and now being fully-acclimated to the College Game and a better grasp of the offense?

Do you think he makes a marked improvement in that Dept this year? Considering, he didn't play his Sr year of HS and has a full year of S&C under his belt and now being fully-acclimated to the College Game and a better grasp of the offense?

He obviously didn’t read the part where you said make Martinez a seasoned veteran like Tommy Frazier. Sorry but I’m your side here...yes Martinez had some fumble issues last year (even more so early on) but if you make him a junior or senior like you said, no way does Martinez keep having fumble issue and not improve there. That issue was because he was freshman that hasn’t played a live snap in almost 2 years. We will see a huge improvement this year let alone his junior or senior years.

He obviously didn’t read the part where you said make Martinez a seasoned veteran like Tommy Frazier. Sorry but I’m your side here...yes Martinez had some fumble issues last year (even more so early on) but if you make him a junior or senior like you said, no way does Martinez keep having fumble issue and not improve there. That issue was because he was freshman that hasn’t played a live snap in almost 2 years. We will see a huge improvement this year let alone his junior or senior years.

So only freshmen fumble? His nature is to try to get an extra yard or to make a bigger play that’s what makes him great. In doing so he had issues with ball security.

Still waiting for your response to photo one in the other thread

Reactions: Top_Gun_
So only freshmen fumble? His nature is to try to get an extra yard or to make a bigger play that’s what makes him great. In doing so he had issues with ball security.

Yes...he didnt play a live snap in almost two years. Not being used to taking live contact in that long makes a huge difference. Two: Those issues are definitely correctable. What, your trying to claim he will never get better???

Pick a year, or years, make him a seasoned junior or senior like Frazier or Frost. We know what his skill set is from last year, he’s fast, elusive ( Tommie was wicked elusive, and Frost had great straight line speed, as you know), and Adrian is a good passer to boot.

All 3 championship seasons would have turned out the same. 96, we probably would have beaten ASU but it's hard to say about Texas in the CCG because the whole team had the flu. 98: maybe another win or two but it really wasn't a championship caliber team regardless of the QB. 99 is still tough to gauge. 49 fumbles, 25 lost but we only lost one game. I can't see how replacing crouch for Martinez would have made the difference in that game quite honestly.

Yes...he didnt play a live snap in almost two years. Not being used to taking live contact in that long makes a huge difference. Two: Those issues are definitely correctable. What, your trying to claim he will never get better???

So you are sticking with only freshmen fumble?

Regardless to answer the question posed, the records of those Nebraska teams would probably not have been any different. Any issues with those teams were not necessarily quarterback driven.

Regardless to answer the question posed, the records of those Nebraska teams would probably not have been any different. Any issues with those teams were not necessarily quarterback driven.

I think it’s pretty obvious. Your being so bull headed...my god dude. Even I backed down and agreed you was right in the other thread. Not playing a live snap for two years makes a HUGE difference, HUGE. And you make him a junior or senior...fumbles won’t be an issue. Believe that.

agreed on both. needs to take care of the ball better, stop reaching/one-handing in traffic. several of his fumbles weren't even caused by contact. hopefully he's working on it and can cut that number in half or better.

having some consistency at center would help, but alas..

agreed on both. needs to take care of the ball better, stop reaching/one-handing in traffic. several of his fumbles weren't even caused by contact. hopefully he's working on it and can cut that number in half or better.

having some consistency at center would help, but alas..

Frost is no dumby and I think we all know that. I bet that’s one area him and Coach V are working extra hard on. It was Martinez biggest issue he had. Plus side here is, fumbles is a fixable issue.

No trying to make a bigger play wasn't what caused his fumbles. It looked like he's not used to getting hit at all and he was simply careless with the ball. And when he did fumble, he was very slow to react to try to pick it up. Like someone else said, a lot of his fumbles weren't even caused by contact and that's just being careless with the ball.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Yes sir, and by the time he’s junior or senior. I bet any thing we barely see the ball dropped on the turf. Like some have pointed out, a lot of it was being careless with the ball which is something a true freshman player might have happen to them. He will learn to tuck it away and be more careful. Frost will have that issue fixed in a hurry.

Athletically speaking it makes sense to compare those guys, but I think the results may have been much much different. Frost and Frazier performed well under pressure, were great team leaders, and were pretty tough and durable. You could put Crouch in that group too. Adrian is still developing that side of his game.
All I know is, none of our greats never were hurt and didnt play their senior seasons in hs, and came out the gate fairly well.
But, so did AM,without that senior season.
I can think of an interview where coach Verdu was talking the late summer/fall competition between AD and Gebbia, where all the sudden, it was over, AM just shot ahead of Gebbia, three weeks before he had to play his first full game in two years.
If people are having a hard time getting their heads around if or whether TO would have used AMs superior passing abilities, I think TO would have found a very productive way to do so, which also would have helped the run game on top of that.

Athletically speaking it makes sense to compare those guys, but I think the results may have been much much different. Frazier, Frost, & Crouch performed well under pressure, were great team leaders, and were pretty tough and durable. Adrian is still developing that side of his game.

As a seasoned junior or senior, I would say Martinez would compare quite well with Frazier, Frost, or Crouch. Imagine Adrian being able to play with the talent on offense that Frazier or Frost had their final two years, or the talent Crouch had in 99, and 2000, not to mention the defenses and special teams all three of those had compared to what Nebraska currently has. It would be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
I'm just comparing what I see in those guys. Haven't said anything about what TO would do or what Verdu said or any of that other stuff. The OP asked about how things would have been during those years, and I think they would have been different. There is an athletic comparison, which as I said, makes sense. Then there is another side, which I am hopeful is under development.
And those other things, like his developement speaks directly to my comments, as his coach made that determination, and it arrived quickly.
I dont have TFs frosh stats, but I believe he fumbled alot his first year, and his passing wasnt as good as later on etc.
I think I need to find those stats, his yds per carry etc, how often he kept it and so on.
I cant compare AMs first year to TFs career stats, as he got better.
AMs big games were against osu, msu and iowa, while only 1 for 3, the progress from the last year was tremendous, and much of that comes down to AMs play.
I think AM is a very cool head, and its more a learning curve, since the passing game requires much more diversity in order to even work,unlike say seven run plays disguised one way or another.

The only stats that matter are wins and losses at that position. You see, so many people want to dive into the individual numbers on one side, and then argue about the 'team around him' on the other side. A great QB makes the team around him better in my opinion. Not the other way around. So a guy can have great individual stats, but if he isn't making the team around him better, then it doesn't matter in the long run. Likewise, an above average athlete with superior leadership skills, makes the whole team better, and nobody cares about his individual stats.

Anyway, I get that this is a homer type thread, and I've given my opinion, while unpopular, it's ok to disagree. I look forward to seeing how things go this season.
I can agree with you when I think of this guy

He won on the biggest stage, thats all that matters.
Otherwise, I disagree

I’m a big AM fan but comparing him to TF is unfair. TF is the greatest college QB of all time and that’s without question.

When it comes to certain intangibles that you want in a QB, TF is the best. TF could Will us to wins

To be fair, our offensive line in the 90s made every QB that played look good. Decision making, leadership, and attitude are what set Frost, Crouch and Frazier apart from other QBs, though.

I think with the talent on those teams, there is no reason Martinez wouldn't have succeeded just as much. I think the more interesting question is what would Frazier, Crouch or Frost have done with last years team.

Pick a year, or years, make him a seasoned junior or senior like Frazier, Frost, or Crouch. We know what his skill set is from last year, he’s fast, elusive ( Tommie was wicked elusive, and Frost had great straight line speed, as did Crouch with some juke built in, as you know), and Adrian is a good passer to boot.

nc in 96 99 and a run at it in 2000

I’m a big AM fan but comparing him to TF is unfair. TF is the greatest college QB of all time and that’s without question.

When it comes to certain intangibles that you want in a QB, TF is the best. TF could Will us to wins
I don't think AM could have taken the beating that TF could take in that offense

Reactions: spinner4

He is a real qb...he has an NFL skill set. Frazier, Frost, Crouch were not real qbs... but advanced wildcat managers. Quite brilliant actually and surprised more teams do not do it. Bring in a tough HS qb who can run, teach him a wildcat based offense where he runs 20 times a game, and throws 15 times...and does a bunch of different pitches the rest of the time.

To be fair, our offensive line in the 90s made every QB that played look good. Decision making, leadership, and attitude are what set Frost, Crouch and Frazier apart from other QBs, though.

I think with the talent on those teams, there is no reason Martinez wouldn't have succeeded just as much. I think the more interesting question is what would Frazier, Crouch or Frost have done with last years team.

Exactly.

Frazier, Frost & Crouch had way, wayyyyyyyy better Olines & blackshirts than what TM had or what AM has had yet. Not even remotely close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT