ADVERTISEMENT

How does Husker basketball lose by 13 in a game they led by 15?

I agree, generally, but when we were still close according to the score, we had like 4 straight possessions where we had an offensive foul called away from the ball. That’s hard to stomach when you are trying to close the gap.

The stupid turnovers certainly didn’t help, and Michigan State was red hot the entire second half. Even without the offensive foul calls, we still likely lose the game. It just seemed fishy to have so many consecutive offensive possessions end before we could even get a shot off.
I was at the game. Many around me were screaming all night at the refs, even when they it was clear they don’t really know the nuances of the rules (fans not refs). I always watch the coaches and how they react. I’m close enough to the floor to see and hear what they are saying. Fred didn’t argue much at all. That tells me he was generally okay with the whistle he was getting.

It's scary to think about how bad we will be next year without Walker, Sam, and Tominaga.

Fred will need to find an entire new Starting 5 in the transfer portal. Wilcher, Lawrence, Breidenbach have no business starting on a Big Ten team.

Fred has earned one more season, but barring a miracle, it seems rather likely that next season will be his last.
You’re joking about Lawrence right? He wouldn’t be starting if not for the injuries but this year will pay off huge dividends in coming years because of this experience. He has serious talent.

You’re joking about Lawrence right? He wouldn’t be starting if not for the injuries but this year will pay off huge dividends in coming years because of this experience. He has serious talent.
But you can’t deny since he been playing more he has been playing extremely well. His improvement since the game in Minneapolis is 💯 %..

Last edited:
Reactions: mgbreis
I was at the game. Many around me were screaming all night at the refs, even when they it was clear they don’t really know the nuances of the rules (fans not refs). I always watch the coaches and how they react. I’m close enough to the floor to see and hear what they are saying. Fred didn’t argue much at all. That tells me he was generally okay with the whistle he was getting.
I thought about this as well, and did notice Fred didn’t seem to be overly upset, but I don’t get to watch enough to know if that’s just his personality.

I will say that even the announcers questioned a few of them.

I like him, think he's a good coach - but his histrionics on the sideline are hard to stomach. If I could pick one coach from the B1G give me Matt Painter.
I am in the Matt Painter camp also! Izzo is 2nd.

Reactions: mgbreis
I thought about this as well, and did notice Fred didn’t seem to be overly upset, but I don’t get to watch enough to know if that’s just his personality.

I will say that even the announcers questioned a few of them.
Fred doesn’t get that upset very much , a lot has to do with his heart condition I believe, but his personality is he isn’t going to go apeshit even on a obvious missed call, he wasn’t happy with the offensive fouls called I can tell you that.

The number of Fouls have nothing to do on how a game was officiated. We had 4 straight possessions where we got called for offensive fouls. That simply the officials trying to control the outcome of a game.

The number of fouls is not always the best indicator of how a game is officiated. It is not only the number of fouls, but what kind of fouls. In addition, it is the fouls that are not called. For instance, MSU plays way more physical than NU -- because they can. I have watched way too many B1G games and the blue bloods always get to play more physical. How many possessions did MSU have where they got 3-4 attempts because of tipped rebounds. Many times they could have been called for fouls but were not. NU does not have that luxury, which is one reason we often get outrebounded in most games. We aren't going to get any calls on offensive possessions so it is not worth trying and getting guys in foul trouble. We can't afford to lose 1 big guy.

The way MSU shot the ball the second half, NU was unlikely to win. No matter how the game was officiated. But, if both teams are allowed to play with the same physicality, it is at least closer and may have come down to the end instead of a blowout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT