ADVERTISEMENT

How does Husker basketball lose by 13 in a game they led by 15?

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Coaching.

I know Michigan State got hot on 3s in the 2nd half, but what about adjustments?

Izzo coached, the Hoibergs choked.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
I think reality has struck. We aren't a good basketball team. We got hot. We have to get better players.

Other than Derrick and Keisei. We don't have any B1G players on the court right now. Bandoumel Gary and McPherson in time are good enough but this team lacks the talent to compete night in and night out.

It's scary to think about how bad we will be next year without Walker, Sam, and Tominaga.

Fred will need to find an entire new Starting 5 in the transfer portal. Wilcher, Lawrence, Breidenbach have no business starting on a Big Ten team.

Fred has earned one more season, but barring a miracle, it seems rather likely that next season will be his last.

It seemed like 4 straight possessions in the second half we had an offensive foul called. Probably 6 or 7 in the second half. Even when we tried to keep it close, these calls really hurt.

That said, all of the passing and finding the open man that happened in the first half completely went away. Credit MSU I guess for their defense, but it was tough to watch the second half.

And Michigan State didn’t miss the second half. 65% shooting in the second half with twelve 3s? Hard to beat teams like that.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Lawrence can be a pretty good player. Has to get over the FT yips, but he has plenty of talent.
The strides Lawrence has made since his playing time expanded are pretty remarkable. Fred needs to encourage him to get out in transition more, because his speed in the open court is a real weapon. He did that in the first half last night, but in the second half there were no defensive stops to get the fast break going.

Put some talent around him, and Lawrence could be the best guard NU has had in a long time.

Coaching.

I know Michigan State got hot on 3s in the 2nd half, but what about adjustments?

Our team got tired, and physically banged up, in the 2nd half. We’re essentially only playing 7 guys. Izzo had his guys using more skip passes in the 2nd half and we couldn’t rotate fast enough but damn, nobody expected the Spartans to shoot that well.

Tonight having Gary and Bandoumel out really hurt. Their guards were getting by us at will, forcing others to help. Winchell is about 10 pounds over weight.

MSU went nuclear from 3. That's what happened.

Fred is getting just about all he can out of this team.
I agree. When you get hit with a barrage like that it is hard to stop the snowball. They just couldn't miss. Good for them. MSU is a pretty dangerous team. Outside of some dumbass stuff on their end, they could be a high ranked team. Talent is there.

It's scary to think about how bad we will be next year without Walker, Sam, and Tominaga.
I heard people say that last year too. This Husker team is much better coached than last year. Gary and Lawrence are coming back. But the three you mentioned definitely will be tough to replace. Hopefully they can develop a couple kids and bring in a couple 4th and 5th year proven transfers who want to play in the Big 10.

I think reality has struck. We aren't a good basketball team. We got hot. We have to get better players.

Other than Derrick and Keisei. We don't have any B1G players on the court right now. Bandoumel Gary and McPherson in time are good enough but this team lacks the talent to compete night in and night out.
I agree..the Huskers are not that good. I’d even dare to suggest that Tominaga, while he can score offensively, is a liability defensively. His hustle is over the top and his heart can not be questioned but in the end he is so small that physically he can not compete in this league on the defensive end. Bigger more physical guards can have their way with him any time they want. What he gives up defensively and what he scores is probably a wash in the end. Poor Sam (coach’s son) is likewise a fish out of water. It’s a big man’s game and the Huskers are playing with a couple of what looks like high school players on the court. In the long run this is not a recipe for success.

I agree. When you get hit with a barrage like that it is hard to stop the snowball. They just couldn't miss. Good for them. MSU is a pretty dangerous team. Outside of some dumbass stuff on their end, they could be a high ranked team. Talent is there.
izzo Is always a threat at tourney time

Reactions: meo1960
Nebraska just isn't very good. Sure they had a nice little 4 game stretch against below average competition. Next year could.be ugly again.
I agree, but Maryland is not below average team during this 4 game stretch who is higher in the standing than Michigan State..

Hoiberg needs to bring in some talent for next year or it could be his last..

izzo Is always a threat at tourney time
They have a really nice class coming in too.

Izzy could probably tone down his non-conference schedule if he wanted and start the season 12-1, something like that...and because it is MSU get ranked in the top 5 early on.

He is such a baby though, but, if I was a MSU fan I would probably love him.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Cause they don't put in the work needed to win. Nothing but Nintendos and nudey magazines in the off-season.

Coaching.

They really ratceded up their D And the zebras removed all doubt that Izzy was gonna get the W in the last 12 minutes.

Reactions: scarletred
I agree..the Huskers are not that good. I’d even dare to suggest that Tominaga, while he can score offensively, is a liability defensively. His hustle is over the top and his heart can not be questioned but in the end he is so small that physically he can not compete in this league on the defensive end. Bigger more physical guards can have their way with him any time they want. What he gives up defensively and what he scores is probably a wash in the end. Poor Sam (coach’s son) is likewise a fish out of water. It’s a big man’s game and the Huskers are playing with a couple of what looks like high school players on the court. In the long run this is not a recipe for success.
Fred should be commended for keeping this group together and stringing together a few wins after the Gary and Bandoumel injuries. He's done a really great job this year. The best news that came out is our terrible basketball NIL collective is merging with 1890. Meaning we can get the money needed to finance the team. Fred was in on 3 guys last season that would have made us a tourney team, until we got outbid in NIL. Scheurrmann was all set to join the Huskers until Creighton's collective offered him $400k. Every Creighton player is getting $75k minimum with a car and an apartment provided to them by their collective. That's what it's going to take to win in hoops now. I hope 1890 is up to the task.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
I know the "the refs were in on it" crowd will hate this but NU went to the line twice as many times. MSU just hit 9 more 3's. That is a huge difference.

Fouls were MSU 16 and NU 14.

Refs might have "sucked" but they still sucked in favor of NU.

Also, is Miles at San Jose State? They are 18-12 now.

I know the "the refs were in on it" crowd will hate this but NU went to the line twice as many times. MSU just hit 9 more 3's. That is a huge difference.

Had nothing to do with the refs. There are tough calls in every game. This game boiled down to MSU getting red hot at the same time the huskers cooled off.

Had nothing to do with the refs. There are tough calls in every game. This game boiled down to MSU getting red hot at the same time the huskers cooled off.
Exactly, took the air right out of the crowd, be played as bad as we could those last 10 minutes and you knew Sparty was going to make a run sometime in the 2nd half..

Sker’s can’t afford to go 8 minutes without scoring a FG and expect to be in the game …

I agree, generally, but when we were still close according to the score, we had like 4 straight possessions where we had an offensive foul called away from the ball. That’s hard to stomach when you are trying to close the gap.

The stupid turnovers certainly didn’t help, and Michigan State was red hot the entire second half. Even without the offensive foul calls, we still likely lose the game. It just seemed fishy to have so many consecutive offensive possessions end before we could even get a shot off.

The number of Fouls have nothing to do on how a game was officiated. We had 4 straight possessions where we got called for offensive fouls. That simply the officials trying to control the outcome of a game.

The refs and our eternal injured players. Its not NU's fault. Its the cosmic excuse machine that keeps us down.

The good: Fred has finally figured out how you need to play to win in the B1G. The media says he truly wants to be here and win. The media says assistants are better coaches.
The bad: Our best 3 (maybe 4) players are done and it's hard to see if Fred is actually "building" a roster or will it always be transfer, rinse and repeat?
February bought him another year. We'll probably have this discussion again in 12 months.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I am no Mensa candidate but I’ll say by being outscored by 28 the rest of the way after that lead?

Nebraska just isn't very good. Sure they had a nice little 4 game stretch against below average competition. Next year could.be ugly again.
Ya know, I thought we’d be abysmal. Lost the vast majority of our good defense and scoring, including an NBA player.

We’re not the most talented team in the Big10. Bottom half. Same as football.

That said, Hoiberg has consistently improved our showing, every year. We’ve won more games, every year. He managed to get a better result from a less talented team. Wanna see a few more years, honestly. He DOES have a history of bringing in some fairly elite talent, both here and at prior schools.

Tominaga, Gary, Lawrence and Keita would be an ok core. There are some interesting guys on the roster - McPherson and Lloyd. Sam Hoiberg is a good role player. And... I'm just a big sucker for the local guys, fingers crossed that Cale Jacobsen might develop in a slightly shorter version of Griesel. Anyway, they definitely need to add. Basketball guys - is there any hope of Dawson improving his shot? Cuz it's pretty bad but his athleticism is off the charts.

They have a really nice class coming in too.

Izzy could probably tone down his non-conference schedule if he wanted and start the season 12-1, something like that...and because it is MSU get ranked in the top 5 early on.

He is such a baby though, but, if I was a MSU fan I would probably love him.
Of all the Big 10 coaches, I have most respect for Izzo, and it’s not even close

Tominaga, Gary, Lawrence and Keita would be an ok core. There are some interesting guys on the roster - McPherson and Lloyd. Sam Hoiberg is a good role player. And... I'm just a big sucker for the local guys, fingers crossed that Cale Jacobsen might develop in a slightly shorter version of Griesel. Anyway, they definitely need to add. Basketball guys - is there any hope of Dawson improving his shot? Cuz it's pretty bad but his athleticism is off the charts.

A healthy Keita. He's missed significant time his last year in JUCO as well as this year with foot/ankle problems. Hopefully its just bad luck and not something genetic where he's always going to struggle to be healthy.

Of all the Big 10 coaches, I have most respect for Izzo, and it’s not even close
I like him, think he's a good coach - but his histrionics on the sideline are hard to stomach. If I could pick one coach from the B1G give me Matt Painter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT