ADVERTISEMENT

How do you stream?

I agree, a Roku device of some kind. They seem to be the most compatible right now. Thats all you really need for your TV's and you can get them for around 30 bucks. The only thing I dont like is it'd be nice if they had some sort of universal remote, or perhaps buying a learning universal remote, so you dont have to have multiple remotes. If you have multiple viewers I THINK you can set up diff viewer profiles on youtubeTV, so that each person signs in and gets what they want. At least Hulu does that. Just my .5 cents.

I agree, a Roku device of some kind. They seem to be the most compatible right now. Thats all you really need for your TV's and you can get them for around 30 bucks. The only thing I dont like is it'd be nice if they had some sort of universal remote, or perhaps buying a learning universal remote, so you dont have to have multiple remotes. If you have multiple viewers I THINK you can set up diff viewer profiles on youtubeTV, so that each person signs in and gets what they want. At least Hulu does that. Just my .5 cents.
So with roku you dont need to have a mobile device as well?
TIA. Im in the year 1956 on the tv/internet/phone knowledge.

So with roku you dont need to have a mobile device as well?
TIA. Im in the year 1956 on the tv/internet/phone knowledge.

No phone/tablet/computer needed with the roku. It comes with its own remote. No different than getting a box from your cable/satellite provider. The roku stick model has no cords either. It is about half the size of a cell phone and plugs into the HDMI port on your tv. The remote works via wi-fi. It's easy to set up.

I dont know about the remotes being wifi, I think theyre old fashioned RF, at least mine is. The nice thing about the Roku's and I imagine Firesticks, etc, is you can also install a few handy apps, more channels from other sources, etc. Like wallpapers and weather forecasts, weird channels. That may not appeal to you, but may to some. Also, I know you can get a Roku app to watch TV on the smartphone, but I think it needs to use the same IP address or it starts complaining about other people possibly using it. IDK how YoutubeTV works though. Anyway, yeah, just get a few Roku's, whatever model appeals to you. Maybe try one out first, see if you like it.

I dont know about the remotes being wifi, I think theyre old fashioned RF, at least mine is. The nice thing about the Roku's and I imagine Firesticks, etc, is you can also install a few handy apps, more channels from other sources, etc. Like wallpapers and weather forecasts, weird channels. That may not appeal to you, but may to some. Also, I know you can get a Roku app to watch TV on the smartphone, but I think it needs to use the same IP address or it starts complaining about other people possibly using it. IDK how YoutubeTV works though. Anyway, yeah, just get a few Roku's, whatever model appeals to you. Maybe try one out first, see if you like it.

The roku stick is wifi. Has to be since its behind the TV. The traditional roku squares are RF.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
Looks like my run with Directv is over as they arent trying to retain me with anything lucrative anymore.

Looking to do a streaming service but I am WHOLLY illiterate in this and you guys are brains with this stuff.
Maybe it would be easier if I just lay it out for you and if anyone thinks they have ideas please share them with prices. Heres what I want/need:

All local channels
BTN
ESPN, 2, U
FS1
AMC
TCM
QVC and Food (for the wife)

There are others than I can do without. DVR would be nice but we did without that before. Any ideas or is it gonna end up not saving any money after I get nickle and dimed to death?
Youtube TV $40 plus Philo $16 package will get you everything you want. No one service will give you everything.

The roku stick is wifi. Has to be since its behind the TV. The traditional roku squares are RF.
EDIT: missed a post above that had my answer

Very appreciative of everyones feedback.
Please understand you may as well be teaching a toddler to potty train.

No phone/tablet/computer needed with the roku. It comes with its own remote. No different than getting a box from your cable/satellite provider. The roku stick model has no cords either. It is about half the size of a cell phone and plugs into the HDMI port on your tv. The remote works via wi-fi. It's easy to set up.
You must teach/coach little kids. You got on my level.
Thank you.
And Im assuming youtube tv can run off it. They do have a good channel lineup.

I run three Fire TV devices hard wired to all of them. Run PS Vue, Prime Video and Netflix. Other hardware options include Google Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV Stick.

You must teach/coach little kids. You got on my level.
Thank you.
And Im assuming youtube tv can run off it. They do have a good channel lineup.

Yes. There’s a feature on the roku that lets you add apps to your main menu. Just pick the ones you want and click. I’m pretty sure every major streaming service is available. I’ve tried directv streaming, sling and PlayStation. Haven’t tried YouTube or Hulu. So far I like the PlayStation.

Last time I checked YouTube TV wasn't available in my area (Nebraska). I was 90% to trying PSVue but realized they don't have Nickelodeon, which is kinda important to one of the household members for a little while longer. Okay... I like Spongebob...

EDIT: I just checked again and it is available here now.
YouTubetv covers the tri city area and the North Platte area now. Youtubetv and Philo together offer the best option in my opinion. I tried every other option to see what I liked. Youtubetv has all the locals but NET. Youtubetv and philo combined never have buffering issues, offer three simultaneous streams and a very good dvr option and most channels a person would want. Two notable channels you can’t get are HBO and the NFL network.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Looks like my run with Directv is over as they arent trying to retain me with anything lucrative anymore.

Looking to do a streaming service but I am WHOLLY illiterate in this and you guys are brains with this stuff.
Maybe it would be easier if I just lay it out for you and if anyone thinks they have ideas please share them with prices. Heres what I want/need:

All local channels
BTN
ESPN, 2, U
FS1
AMC
TCM

There are others than I can do without. DVR would be nice but we did without that before. Any ideas or is it gonna end up not saving any money after I get nickle and dimed to death?
I'm on the free trial of Hulu Live, I like it, had PS Vue before, both work well, but Hulu Live you get more bang for your buck IMO. I got locals (it let me pick Lincoln/Hastings/Grand Island or Omaha), BTN, ESPN, 2, U, News, Extra, FS1, FS2, Food, no QVC, or AMC. I kinda miss the MLB network too, but usually pick up free streams off reddit for that.

Yep Hulu Live is pretty great, streaming is excellent, their on-demand back catalog is amazing...I think they are getting a grid-style interface similar to DirecTV Now, their current interface is merely ok, I like the grid-style better. We also subscribe to Philo ($16/mo), as it gets AMC, MTV and other channels my wife and kids care about. Save over $100 a month then what I was paying through DirecTV with a traditional dish...never ever ever going back.

Reactions: EATAFAT1

All local channels
BTN
ESPN, 2, U
FS1
AMC
TCM

We tried PS VUE and it was adequate for $50 per month. The only real complaint was the DVR and pausing tv while watching were a little funky. Went back to DISH at $100 per month instead. Satisfied.

Have YouTubeTV and love it. As for NET haven’t found any of them with it. I downloaded the app on my phone and mirror it to the Roku for anything on there. That being said the NET app sucks in my experience.

Have YouTubeTV and love it. As for NET haven’t found any of them with it. I downloaded the app on my phone and mirror it to the Roku for anything on there. That being said the NET app sucks in my experience.
I installed an antenna for NET, and other locals too. Works 90% of the time from home. Lincoln channels, better than Omaha channels.

I installed an antenna for NET, and other locals too. Works 90% of the time from home. Lincoln channels, better than Omaha channels.

Get the locals with the exception of NET. Might have to grab an antenna. They are cheap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT