ADVERTISEMENT

How did Syracuse lose to MN

Minnesota had an int for a TD and a 25 yard TD drive set up by a kick off return. Both on the 2nd half.
Beat me to it. I watched that game and agree that White's defense, for the most part, shut down Minnesota's offense. It was the one turnover and the one kick return that really killed Syracuse.

That said, it is a shame that Minnesota did play that game against a White defense. Because now they know what to prepare for in getting ready for us when they are on offense. But they probably are a bit more hesitant about what we are going to do with our offense.

It won't matter. What it comes down to is DL/LB play and this team is lacking in both areas. Maybe White can put together a plan to hide the weaknesses.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The new D coordinator called that game. TW was an observer per Tony. His old boss at New Mexico is Syr. new DC.
This is true, but it's the same concepts. You don't work under a guy all year and have an overhaul for just the bowl game. I'm just hoping we get back to creating turnovers and getting some key 3 and outs at the times we need them. Offenses are so damn complex these days, points are going to get scored, we just need stops at the correct times and turnovers.

This is true, but it's the same concepts. You don't work under a guy all year and have an overhaul for just the bowl game. I'm just hoping we get back to creating turnovers and getting some key 3 and outs at the times we need them. Offenses are so damn complex these days, points are going to get scored, we just need stops at the correct times and turnovers.
My point is that 2 different people do not call the same game. The defense was the same, but the chess pieces were moved in a different order. TW was a disciple of the DC, but he may have called different plays for the same formation.

Minnesota scored more points
nailedit-theoffice.gif
isnkL0.gif

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Another factor I don’t remember but how many Syracuse players were out with any injuries on defense?

The interception for a TD was a back breaker for Syracuse but when Tanner Morgan entered the game early, they did very little offensively the majority of the day..

Kaliakmanis has a good arm and I think they will test or secondary..

Another factor I don’t remember but how many Syracuse players were out with any injuries on defense?

The interception for a TD was a back breaker for Syracuse but when Tanner Morgan entered the game early, they did very little offensively the majority of the day..

Kaliakmanis has a good arm and I think they will test or secondary..
I hope MN tries to throw it. The secondary is our strength, and I think I'd be a lot more concerned if they just tried to run it right down our throats like they have done for awhile now. I guess we see in a few days.

I hope MN tries to throw it. The secondary is our strength, and I think I'd be a lot more concerned if they just tried to run it right down our throats like they have done for awhile now. I guess we see in a few days.
^^^^This^^^^. If Minnesota goes to its passing game a lot then you know we have shut down their bread and butter -- the power running game. I think we win going away if Minnesota starts slinging it all over the field.

However.... they won't. And they won't because they are not stupid. They know they have to run the ball first to win. And they will keep on pounding the rock the entire game with hope of a big play here and there off of play action passes.

It won't matter. What it comes down to is DL/LB play and this team is lacking in both areas. Maybe White can put together a plan to hide the weaknesses.
God, how many times to we have to go through this where people on this board, without even seeing the kids play this year, declare a position group as weak. What have you seen THIS YEAR that leads you to that conclusion?

Since Banker left at the end of 2016, the defense as a whole has been poorly coached and trained. Why do you just assume that all of these players are going to be the same versions of what they were under those coaches?

Funny, I remember in 1983, we had a legendary offense and frankly a pretty bad defense. The next year, with almost all of the same players returning, we had a great defense.

What happened in the past is irrelevant now. Just wait until we have a body of work on this team before you proclaim that they're "lacking".

Another data point, in 2021 TCU went 5-7 and 3-6 in the B12, fired their coach towards the end of the season and replaced him with an interim coach. In 2022 they were in the CFP final with a new dynamic coach. Just sayin!

Last edited:
^^^^This^^^^. If Minnesota goes to its passing game a lot then you know we have shut down their bread and butter -- the power running game. I think we win going away if Minnesota starts slinging it all over the field.

However.... they won't. And they won't because they are not stupid. They know they have to run the ball first to win. And they will keep on pounding the rock the entire game with hope of a big play here and there off of play action passes.
I just think they’ll be putting the ball more in the air this year than in the past, they have a very good TE and have veteran WR..

In no way shape of form is Fleck not going to impose his will on his opponent, that isn’t his DNA…

I just think they’ll be putting the ball more in the air this year than in the past, they have a very good TE and have veteran WR..

In no way shape of form is Fleck not going to impose his will on his opponent, that isn’t his DNA…
no matter what happens on thurs, your favorite team is walking away with a win!

God, how many times to we have to go through this where people on this board, without even seeing the kids play this year, declare a position group as weak. What have you seen THIS YEAR that leads you to that conclusion?

Since Banker left at the end of 2016, the defense as a whole has been poorly coached and trained. Why do you just assume that all of these players are going to be the same versions of what they were under those coaches?

Funny, I remember in 1983, we had a legendary offense and frankly a pretty bad defense. The next year, with almost all of the same players returning, we had a great defense.

What happened in the past is irrelevant now. Just wait until we have a body of work on this team before you proclaim that they're "lacking".

Another data point, in 2021 TCU went 5-7 and 3-6 in the B12, fired their coach towards the end of the season and replaced him with an interim coach. In 2022 they were in the CFP final with a new dynamic coach. Just sayin!
UMM I was at a practice this spring "on the field" and watched a full scrimmage. The DL was not good, and that was against a weak OL. We got shredded by the running game in that scrimmage. Some of that could have been a new defense but I've seen enough ball to recognize a lack of talent. And we have a lack of talent. In 83 we didn't have a lack of talent we were running an archaic defense ill suited to the change of the game. Big difference.

I might be wrong. I hope I am. I doubt Minnesota will truly prove one way or the other unless we get shelled, but eventually I think we will get railed by the top teams in the league and on our schedule.

• Wow
UMM I was at a practice this spring "on the field" and watched a full scrimmage. The DL was not good, and that was against a weak OL. We got shredded by the running game in that scrimmage. Some of that could have been a new defense but I've seen enough ball to recognize a lack of talent. And we have a lack of talent. In 83 we didn't have a lack of talent we were running an archaic defense ill suited to the change of the game. Big difference.

I might be wrong. I hope I am. I doubt Minnesota will truly prove one way or the other unless we get shelled, but eventually I think we will get railed by the top teams in the league and on our schedule.
So …. Michigan?

Reactions: scarletred
So …. Michigan?
Maybe. Again. It could have been just a bad showing in an early spring practice in front of a boat load of coaches at a clinic, but on that given day we looked very suspect in those areas. A lot can be gained in the offseason, and familiarity with a system can help, but we sure looked weak in the front 7, for sure lacking an alpha.

So you saw a practice and decided we have no DL talent, when 2 of our starting 3 DLs were out for the spring and 2 of the top 6 had been on campus for 4 months, OK. I saw a full scrimmage too (spring game) and didn't have the same assessment.

There's no reason why our OL shouldn't be decent. They just needed to be trained and coached up better. They have all of the measurables.

Of course we're going to get beat soundly by the better teams on the schedule this season, but you make it sound like we have no talent. We have higher ranked players (according to the services) than all but about 16 other teams.

Minny had two nice TD drives in the 1st half. Then a 70 yd INT return and a long KOR to setup a short TD drive. Cuse had a bunch of nice drives but didn't finish them off enough.

Cuse was not big up front last year, but slowed the Minny run game down pretty well. Syracuse's top rusher, Sean Tucker opted out of the Pinstripe Bowl.

If we have not improved, significantly, from the spring, then we have a lot bigger issues on our hands than Minnesota and their pinhead rowboat captain.

You mean like Minnesota? They are the 3rd toughest team we play this year according to current Vegas spreads for our entire schedule this year.

• Haha
So you saw a practice and decided we have no DL talent, when 2 of our starting 3 DLs were out for the spring and 2 of the top 6 had been on campus for 4 months, OK. I saw a full scrimmage too (spring game) and didn't have the same assessment.

There's no reason why our OL shouldn't be decent. They just needed to be trained and coached up better. They have all of the measurables.

Of course we're going to get beat soundly by the better teams on the schedule this season, but you make it sound like we have no talent. We have higher ranked players (according to the services) than all but about 16 other teams.
We have talent in the skill positions. We are average up front on offense. We shall see on D. Not sold on the 335 in the big but will keep an open mind.

Reactions: rgrachek
If we have not improved, significantly, from the spring, then we have a lot bigger issues on our hands than Minnesota and their pinhead rowboat captain.
True. But if we have improved on par with what every team has since spring. Then that improvement is moot. I stand by my prediction. 32-17 Minni.

There is enough talent on NU's roster to beat Minnesota and there has been each and every year NU has been in the B1G. We will get to see how Rhule does, but the recurring story during the Frost years was football players that didn't improve all that much and both offensive and defensive approaches not a good fit for the B1G teams we play. That's not a talent issue (Adrian Martinez performed well at KSU), that a coaching and program issue. We thought coaching was poor during the Riley seasons, but Frost said hold my beer.

There is enough talent on NU's roster to beat Minnesota and there has been each and every year NU has been in the B1G. We will get to see how Rhule does, but the recurring story during the Frost years was football players that didn't improve all that much and both offensive and defensive approaches not a good fit for the B1G teams we play. That's not a talent issue (Adrian Martinez performed well at KSU), that a coaching and program issue. We thought coaching was poor during the Riley seasons, but Frost said hold my beer.
Frost would never let someone else hold his beer

This idea that AM performed well at kst is wrong

He attempted the least passes/game of his career there for the shortest yards/attempt, lost at home to Tulane and then was beat out by a redshirt frosh

They did everything they could to take the ball out of his hands and the decisions out of his head

I think were more talented in lots of areas. Just not along the lines. And as we all know that matters. A lot! We shall see in a couple of days.

He attempted the least passes/game of his career there for the shortest yards/attempt, lost at home to Tulane and then was beat out by a redshirt frosh

They did everything they could to take the ball out of his hands and the decisions out of his head
So I guess the lions are just retarded for playing around with a broken toy? 🙄

He didn't get benched after Tulane.. and Tulane went 12-2 ending the season beating USC..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT