ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring Frost Isn't a Risk, it is the best option.

Solana Beach Husker

Offensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2008
After watching about a dozen games from 1994-1997 I realized that the culture that NU football had and was was completely unique for its time, even relative to other schools. NU had perhaps the best run of success in the modern era, and did it in a completely unique way. Frost is the perfect candidate because:

1. He understands what made NU great from 1970-2001. It wasn't NFL talent...it was toughness, competition, stamina. Remember this is the QB who smashed a Kansas state DE during WR reverse that lead to a touchdown.
2. He was tutored by TO who put an emphasis on defensive speed but also on short stubby, overlooked lineman, who would not be NFL players but would wear out a defense.
3. He won a national title as a tough leader at qb, who couldn't throw, couldn't outrun most defenders.
4. And he won with players from all corners of the country, but many from near Lincoln, from Kansas, Missouri, and a lot from Nebraska.

So after his audition at Oregon and CFU we see that he demands speed on defense, and prefers an offense that that is tough, uses specific talent at QB, WR, and OL that other schools may not want, and demands that his teams win the 4th quarter through exhausting the other team, whether that is through a short passing game, high tempo, or the run.

Reactions: kmarks
After watching about a dozen games from 1994-1997 I realized that the culture that NU football had and was was completely unique for its time, even relative to other schools. NU had perhaps the best run of success in the modern era, and did it in a completely unique way. Frost is the perfect candidate because:

1. He understands what made NU great from 1970-2001. It wasn't NFL talent...it was toughness, competition, stamina. Remember this is the QB who smashed a Kansas state DE during WR reverse that lead to a touchdown.
2. He was tutored by TO who put an emphasis on defensive speed but also on short stubby, overlooked lineman, who would not be NFL players but would wear out a defense.
3. He won a national title as a tough leader at qb, who couldn't throw, couldn't outrun most defenders.
4. And he won with players from all corners of the country, but many from near Lincoln, from Kansas, Missouri, and a lot from Nebraska.

So after his audition at Oregon and CFU we see that he demands speed on defense, and prefers an offense that that is tough, uses specific talent at QB, WR, and OL that other schools may not want, and demands that his teams win the 4th quarter through exhausting the other team, whether that is through a short passing game, high tempo, or the run.
Don't necessarily disagree, but there was actually a lot of NFL talent on those teams from 70-97

I think it's probably both. A risk and the best, realistic option.

This. Everything has some risk, but he is the best most realistic option for us at this point in time. Personally, there are very few other options if any that I would put above him on my list.

Don't want to downplay the importance of finding highly ranked kids. Just need to make sure they are properly evaluated and fit the system. Also whoever they recruit needs to be fast and tough as nails!

Don't want to downplay the importance of finding highly ranked kids. Just need to make sure they are properly evaluated and fit the system. Also whoever they recruit needs to be fast and tough as nails!
Yes. That is why TO always wanted to recruit a certain kind of kid in terms of maturity and character. It is necessary to have gifted athletes to win big. But they have to be a certain kind of athlete with the ability to play for the team and not for themselves

What Frost's stint at UCF has shown me is that he can:
1A) develop and recruit talent that can make a difference (e.g., Milton, Killins);
2A) coach a team that wins consistently with talent equal-to or better than the opponent;
3A) motivate players to play at a high-level.

But let's be honest, there is plenty that he has not proven.
1B) Can he recruit and develop talent to an area which is not talent rich?
2B) Can he out-recruit other, big time programs for more highly sought-after talent?
3B) Can he coach a team to win consistently against opponents which have talent on par or better than his own?
4B) If things go south in a season, can he keep players motivated?

There are other considerations, too; those are just some off the top of my head. So he is a risk, but I like what I see from 1A-3A enough that I think it makes a lot of sense. Then add to that his coaching pedigree, which suggests to me he could be on an upward trajectory and has not fully reached his potential, I am very intrigued. His history with Nebraska and being a "native son" is just the cherry on top. All it means is that I already want to root for him and see him do well. It's not my first consideration for wanting to hire him.

Finally, when you consider the toxic culture of this program and its need for a figure who can galvanize the fan base, I think you can begin to make sense of the almost ridiculous sense of desperation surrounding this hire. We need someone we can have faith in, and we are not an attractive enough program to hire someone who is already an established, home-run hire without any baggage. So, we appear to be looking at Campbell and Frost types, or coordinators. Frost is the best option.

Last edited:
Sometimes the only risks are the ones you don’t take.
DOhjvB5VQAU78a7.jpg

Don't necessarily disagree, but there was actually a lot of NFL talent on those teams from 70-97

Agree. Tons of talent then.

He’s never landed a 4 star while in the state of Florida. Not sure why, but.......either way, he’ll be here for 20 years whether we win 2 or 0 Big 10s a decade.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I just think Nebraska is to the point, that it has tried every possible way to break away from the old tradition and we are not having success. Might be time to take a bit of a risk and go back to some of that tradition. That starts with Frost.Yes I understand this is a different era. Frost isn't going to bring back the option. I am more talking that mental toughness that has been gone the last 15 years or so. Getting a coach who will embrace the tradition instead of destroy it.
People need to realize it isn't like Frost is some low level assistant that everyone just wants because he is a Nebraska guy. He happens to have a pretty darn good track record coaching and playing at all levels. I think he is pretty qualified. The only person I see us realistically getting( still a long shot) that would be less of a risk is Chip Kelly. All others carry their own risk as well. I hope Frost works out and he is here for the next 20+ years.

He’s never landed a 4 star while in the state of Florida. Not sure why, but.......either way, he’ll be here for 20 years whether we win 2 or 0 Big 10s a decade.
I'm not sure why you keep saying this.

He currently has a 4-star committed.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/eriq-gilyard-6228

Also, landed one last year
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/cordarrian-richardson-1905

And two the year before that:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/dredrick-snelson-603
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/aaron-dowdell-2912

Last edited:

I would say it would be hard for him to land that talent, when four star kids can stay instate and go to UF, FSU, or Miami. Not to mention that they are also probably being recruited by the other major FBS schools in the south. If I was a 4/5 star kid from Orlando, I would not choose UCF over any FBS school in Florida.

He landed a 4* last year and the kid is playing RB. He has one committed for this cycle.

I have a different take on the culture piece. I have been part of changing cultures at two different stops in my career and another to a lesser extent. It is very hard work and takes considerable time depending on how different the current culture is. When people describe culture they are describing what they see on the field of play, that is not culture, that is a result of the culture.

I have found that there are some distinct stages of a major cultural shift and these are general. When the leader comes in there are questions about what they are asking people to do. We have always done it this way and then they tell you all of the problems that exist and none are related to them. The leader has to state succinctly and clearly what the non-negotiable standards are and demonstrate them and demand them at every single turn. The first time one is violated the leader has to come down very hard. I have always found that there are ring-leaders in every place and those people will fight you and stir up strife. They must be gone. So if you see people leaving the program, it is probably good from an inside perspective but that is not always the case, sometimes it may not be a good fit for their skills. The first year is awful, the second better once some of the negative people leave, the third you can start to breath and then you have built a system that everyone buys in to. New people come into your system and are immediately on notice there is only one way things go around here and everyone is on the right seat of the right bus going the same direction.

There are so many systems in an athletic department of this size and a program like Nebraska's I can't imagine how difficult and time consuming that would be to set a new cultural direction.

Last edited:

Glad you cleared this up. Beginning to think the fanbase may want this Frost fella (in a totally non-creepy way)

I for one am in favor of going more traditional Nebraska offense. I know I've said it a few times, and under TO NU was not a true option team but more of a power and option offense, but I would love to see Ken Niumatalolo bring that offense from Navy here. I think Frosts spread offense would be better than a full option offense but c'mon and tell me that wouldn't be fun to watch again in a Nebraska uniform???

Agreed on #2. The great offensive lineman were under 6'2" and 300lbs but had great feet and a chip on their shoulder.

The 94 Miami team had 12 future nfl starters, and multiple hall o' famers. Relative the teams were were playing we had less successful NFL talent. We had a lot of guys get drafted, and a lot burned out. Miami had a lot get drafted and lot became starters and all time greats. The Tennessee team we played in 1997 had a ton of future NFL starters. Obviously our qb was not NFL quality, our oline might only be found at guard and center in the NFL, our WRs would not make the NFL...so that left the defense and I-back.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="
.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="
3. He won a national title as a tough leader at qb, who couldn't throw, couldn't outrun most defenders. .[/QUOTE]

His passing was quite good and among the best in an option based offense. There was nothing lacking on his speed and you don't play safety in the NFL with pedestrian speed. He was recorded as low as 4.4 while at Nebraska and 4.6 combine.

Finally, when you consider the toxic culture of this program and its need for a figure who can galvanize the fan base, I think you can begin to make sense of the almost ridiculous sense of desperation surrounding this hire. We need someone we can have faith in, and we are not an attractive enough program to hire someone who is already an established, home-run hire without any baggage. So, we appear to be looking at Campbell and Frost types, or coordinators. Frost is the best option.
The program is not in a toxic state. The fan base is in a toxic state due to division. Riley and time have gotten rid of most of that crap. Now it's just frustration with losing and the right hire can fix that quickly. The next coach is going ot have a bunch of guys who are hungry and eager to win. I expect a fairly quick turn around.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]His passing was quite good and among the best in an option based offense. There was nothing lacking on his speed and you don't play safety in the NFL with pedestrian speed. He was recorded as low as 4.4 while at Nebraska and 4.6 combine.[/QUOTE]

His passing was average at best, but the run game was so dominant when Green was in there that guys were open. How many runs over 25 yards did he have? I don't care about combine speed, he wasn't a big play guy...an occasional long run but he was tough, and gutted out yards. So in theory we will value toughness at a level that Riley or Callahan wouldn't possibly value, as they did lay into a 260 pound man while leading a team to a national title. And frost understood the genius of TO, whether it was from the innovative nature of his offense, or the psychology that TO used with his players and the media...my favorite quote from T.O...immediately after winning in Miami in 1994...

"I thought we were a little better conditioned, maybe a little stronger physically in the 4th quarter, Miami has a great team." Scott will understand the nuance of playing with the media but also motivating his players.

The program is not in a toxic state. The fan base is in a toxic state due to division. Riley and time have gotten rid of most of that crap. Now it's just frustration with losing and the right hire can fix that quickly. The next coach is going ot have a bunch of guys who are hungry and eager to win. I expect a fairly quick turn around.

Yeah, I meant the fan base. I think this board is a particularly acute manifestation of that. How many posts do you see on here pointing the finger? It’s all Eichorst’s fault, Pelini’s fault, Osborne’s fault, Perlman’s fault, Devaney’s fault, Riley’s fault, Diaco’s fault. And they aren’t just pointing back.

People on here are already critical of the Moos hire, some think he’s already bungled the firing of Riley, and others are ready to pounce on his first mistake (e.g. he insists we are not in rebuilding mode yet we will almost surely struggle to win many games next year). When does it stop?

A lot of other fans don’t think we are good enough to get a quality coach, others think Frost is too good for us. Still others, perhaps there aren’t many of them anymore, think Frost wouldn’t be in consideration if he wasn’t a Husker. Most it seems would not give a coach not named Frost a chance.

I’m not sure this doesn’t have an adverse effect on the program, as it does affect the perception of it. In any case, I’d agree that winning would fix it.

Man people have cried over a #9 finish in the 80's.

B!tching about Cornhusker football is the only traditional streak my money is on never being broken.

Winning is just Febreeze...and its no different at any other place really.

What makes everyone think Frost is automatically going to run the old school Husker tradition??? Don’t you guys think it’s possible he maybe combine old school with new school?? That’s what I’m expecting out of him....again IF...IF...IF we hire and get him. Sorry to many of you think this is a locked deal and has the jinxed us feeling to it. But he Might not go “Ole School Husker” when he gets here. I’m assuming since he’s a former Husker....then it’s ok, right??

Scott will probably run a spread with some of the older stuff mixed in once in a while sure. He doesn't run multiple Tom Osborne power sets now. I don't think that matters as much as the end of year rankings and lots of W's.

He should get 7 years to compete for a conference championship In my opinion.

I was hoping someone would mention this. What were we, chopped liver? During the 90s, we were probably in the Top 5 teams in terms of sending players to the NFL.

And Frost played safety in the NFL. He wasn't slow, and if you ask me, if he wasn't the toughest running QB we ever had at Nebraska, he was certainly up there. And watching him run the option was a thing of beauty.

Yeah, I meant the fan base. I think this board is a particularly acute manifestation of that. How many posts do you see on here pointing the finger? It’s all Eichorst’s fault, Pelini’s fault, Osborne’s fault, Perlman’s fault, Devaney’s fault, Riley’s fault, Diaco’s fault. And they aren’t just pointing back.

People on here are already critical of the Moos hire, some think he’s already bungled the firing of Riley, and others are ready to pounce on his first mistake (e.g. he insists we are not in rebuilding mode yet we will almost surely struggle to win many games next year). When does it stop?

A lot of other fans don’t think we are good enough to get a quality coach, others think Frost is too good for us. Still others, perhaps there aren’t many of them anymore, think Frost wouldn’t be in consideration if he wasn’t a Husker. Most it seems would not give a coach not named Frost a chance.

I’m not sure this doesn’t have an adverse effect on the program, as it does affect the perception of it. In any case, I’d agree that winning would fix it.
alabama was a garbage job until saban took it...shula was an absolute trainwreck...Saban had just crashed and burned in the nfl, and was average at most of his stops in college, there was doubt even with him, and Alabama fans though maybe that being situated in Tuscaloosa meant they would never be great again. A single coach changes everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT