ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Fort Robinson tomorrow, looking for suggestions...

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
Heading to Fort Robinson tomorrow...will be taking Hwy 183 north up out of Ord/Burwell until we hit Hwy 20 (we may take Hwy 2 through Halsey)...then all the way to Crawford...any suggestions for small gems to see along the way, whether it be eateries, historical points of interests or other?

There are some interesting and scenic stretches of the Cowboy Trail near Highway 20, if you like to hike or bike:
Cowboy Trail website

Unfortunately I don't think much has happened with this trail west of Valentine, but there are some fun stretches east of Valentine.

Heading to Fort Robinson tomorrow...will be taking Hwy 183 north up out of Ord/Burwell until we hit Hwy 20 (we may take Hwy 2 through Halsey)...then all the way to Crawford...any suggestions for small gems to see along the way, whether it be eateries, historical points of interests or other?
There's a chalk mine near ord that's kind of cool

There's a chalk mine near ord that's kind of cool
Make sure you drive through the park near chadron. You don't have to go into the park to get a good view etc. BTW you will love fort Robinson. You can do as little as you want or as much as you want.

Went into the museum expecting cowboys and native Americans stuff, but was surprised to find that much of the fort museum and history also centers around WWII, as Fort Robinson was a large German POW facility. Also, a training facility for military horses and mules pre WWI days. If you have half a day, take a drive up highway 71 to Toadstool National Geologic Park. Its a bit off the beaten path (and about a ten mile drive up a gravel road), but worth the drive, just because it is so different than anything you expect to find in NE. There are no facilities there, other than an outhouse. There is a one mile hike and a three mile hike, which takes you to the site of the Hudson-Meng Bison Kill site (didn't go to that so don't know if its much). Apparently they killed bison in that area about 10,000 years ago.

If you see any Tatonka by the side of the road, don't get out and try to pet him!
american-buffalo-tatonka-taken-from-car-yellowstone-national-park-united-states%2B1152_12877883552-tpfil02aw-21013.jpg

Kicking Bird does not recommend it.
th

I like the Nebraska national Forrest there at Halsey, if you take highway 2 that far. Are you dragging bikes or four wheelers with you? There are some fun trails there. You can also drive up to a fire lookout tower and climb to the top. Pretty cool view of the Sandhills, you can see forever. Would only add ten minutes to your journey. If you go highway 2 that far you might as well go to alliance and take a pic at carhenge, if you haven't been there. Crawford's golf course is pretty nice for a little town.

Last edited:
If you go Highway 2, stop at the restaurant/hotel just off the highway in downtown Broken Bow. Really good. If you are going this week or next, keep an eye out for the motorcycles. Lots of people going to and from Sturgis like to take Highway 2, Highway 20 or other side roads across Nebraska. Pay extra attention when pulling on and off the highway.

I don't know if you are from Burwell, but go to Sandstone Grill. Chadron St. Park is also a must as well. There is a unique forest for Nebraska called Mcelvie national forest around that area on the way up as well.

Eat at the Cookshack on your way to Toadstool and catch the Hudson Meng site. It is about 10 miles northwest of Crawford. Take your fishing rod and walk up the Soldier Creek after you drive across it on past the Carter Lake.

Reactions: 3pointdog
I remember as a kid heading up to Cascade Falls about an hour or so away in southwestern South Dakota. Absolutely gorgeous at Ft. Robinson and around there with all those Buttes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT