ADVERTISEMENT

Havelock Misty's on GameDay

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
Thinking about trying Misty's around noon on the day of the Colorado game. I've never been there on GameDay. For those that have is it a long wait or a packed zoo? This is 6ish hours before kick

Reactions: huskerfan66
Thinking about trying Misty's around noon on the day of the Colorado game. I've never been there on GameDay. For those that have is it a long wait or a packed zoo? This is 6ish hours before kick
Have not been on GameDay. I’ve been there on Friday night before a Saturday game and they had Herbie and cheerleaders. Wasn’t hard to get in.

Over the years I have become disappointed with Misty's quality. Haven't been there for 9 years but it used to be good. It would be below average if not for all the Husker memorabilia.

Should be totally fine at noon.

They serve their prime rib sliders at Champions Club. Really good stuff.

Over the years I have become disappointed with Misty's quality. Haven't been there for 9 years but it used to be good. It would be below average if not for all the Husker memorabilia.
Any idea why it would not be as good?

I have always wondered that with restaurants. Is it new owners, new recipes?

Misty's was well known for their prime rib and steaks. In the 70s we'd stop and then in the 80s when in college took my then girlfriend and now wife there and it was still good. Not soon after that, well I'm getting older, it was probably 20 years later stopped there and swore I'd never go back the prime rib was just that bad. I think that was about the same time they opened their downtown location. Could be with the expansion they cut back on quality of meat but whatever it showed

Misty's is overrated. It's a window into a time capsule which has passed its time. It's a "remember when" relating more to the 80s but is now a faint blur in the rear view mirror of the 21st century.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I am getting in on Friday for the CU game. Friends whom I staying at their house in SE Lincoln are out of town (both Huskers, but they don’t go to games). My friends that I am going to the game with like me are also from out-of-state. They are bringing their whole family, and I mean the whole damn family. They are all going to Lee’s for chicken on Friday night. Not sure I want to do the grandkids thing. I will see them all on Saturday. Is there any place NEW and fun with good food where I can eat on Friday night? The people whose house I am staying at say go to Lazlo's, but we always eat there or get Val's. Since I am going to be alone, I would like someplace where I can eat at the bar and interact with the crowd. I am a talker and not very shy. I will take Uber so it can be anywhere. Should I just go down to the Haymarket District? If so, where should I go?

I am getting in on Friday for the CU game. Friends whom I staying at their house in SE Lincoln are out of town (both Huskers, but they don’t go to games). My friends that I am going to the game with like me are also from out-of-state. They are bringing their whole family, and I mean the whole damn family. They are all going to Lee’s for chicken on Friday night. Not sure I want to do the grandkids thing. I will see them all on Saturday. Is there any place NEW and fun with good food where I can eat on Friday night? The people whose house I am staying at say go to Lazlo's, but we always eat there or get Val's. Since I am going to be alone, I would like someplace where I can eat at the bar and interact with the crowd. I am a talker and not very shy. I will take Uber so it can be anywhere. Should I just go down to the Haymarket District? If so, where should I go?
Lees? Yuk. Avoid. Same with Valentinos. Go to the Haymarket. Lincoln really does not have many great restaurants to be honest.

Misty's is overrated. It's a window into a time capsule which has passed its time. It's a "remember when" relating more to the 80s but is now a faint blur in the rear view mirror of the 21st century.
This makes sense.

Kind of like the Rail on O street. If you did not go to UNL that bar is s shit hole but if you went there it is like stepping back in time for a drink.

Reactions: schuele
Last time I’ve been to Misty’s in Havelock was the Friday night before Frost first win against Minnesota, it was pretty good but their are better steak place than Misty’s.

Farmer Browns has good prime rib.
The Drover had a real good whiskey ribeye.
Omaha Fleming’s I heard is really good but over priced..

Misty's was well known for their prime rib and steaks. In the 70s we'd stop and then in the 80s when in college took my then girlfriend and now wife there and it was still good. Not soon after that, well I'm getting older, it was probably 20 years later stopped there and swore I'd never go back the prime rib was just that bad. I think that was about the same time they opened their downtown location. Could be with the expansion they cut back on quality of meat but whatever it showed
We had a similar experience about 12 years ago.

Last time I’ve been to Misty’s in Havelock was the Friday night before Frost first win against Minnesota, it was pretty good but their are better steak place than Misty’s.

Farmer Browns has good prime rib.
The Drover had a real good whiskey ribeye.
Omaha Fleming’s I heard is really good but over priced..
Lincoln does not have a really good local steak house. I miss The Steak House. Grandmother's was also pretty good.

Lincoln does not have a really good local steak house. I miss The Steak House. Grandmother's was also pretty good.
Yes and it is embarrassing. Every once in a while I have friends out here in PA who tell me they will be going to Lincoln for this or that reason and they ask me for a great steak house recommendation. They assume Lincoln, being in Nebraska, must have some fantastic steak houses. They are surprised when I tell them their best bet is Texas Road House. 😂. It is sad.

Reactions: otismotis08
Haymarket on a Friday night before a big game is really fun. Don't get there too early though. You want to be down there at 7 or so if your eating and then I would hit the rail yard for a drink or 2. There should be energy in the air with a lot of out of towners coming in for this game.

As far as food, it's all personal preference. I really like Buzzard Billy's. Not sure what part of SE Lincoln you are in but IMO you can't go wrong with the Morales family Mexican restaurants, El Toro, Las Margaret's, etc. Personally I like the Haymarket for the vibe before a big game.

Lees? Yuk. Avoid. Same with Valentinos. Go to the Haymarket. Lincoln really does not have many great restaurants to be honest.
I Love me some Lee's Chicken! Something about the whole thing just brings me back to my childhood... It's one of my "Must Haves" when I come back home from Texas

Runza
Vals
Lee's Chicken

If I don't get at least 2 of the above when I'm back it's a disappointment...

Yeah, Misty's sucks now. I will never go back even if it was a free meal. Their level of give a shit is busted.

If you want Prime Rib - Lazlo's (if it's not 100% satisfaction, they will bring you a new cut AND comp your meal)

I'm a Director of Operations for a venture capital groups restaurant portfolio. There are many reasons restaurants fail.
Poor management (costs are bad and profits are null)
Poor leadership (bad culture)
Lack of innovation (what works today doesn't always work)
Lack of maintenance (people don't like to eat in dirty decrepit places)

These are the 4 categories that most reasons fall into. A place like Misty's got to rest on its laurels. Didn't innovate. Their clientele aged out and the new generation doesn't have the same love.
You have to keep up with what's new and happening with food. Every year there are new people with expendable income that have new choices. Have to give them reasons to choose you.
The industry doesn't operate on giant profit margins so often the capital isn't there to make the necessary changes. The ones that innovate and evolve are those with large capital. (Corporate or franchise).
A large part of the reason smaller places fail is the income is used to produce a lifestyle for ownership and rarely invested back into business other than needed operating costs. Often the owner takes a salary and tries to operate near zero profits for tax reasons. Great in theory until you need to remodel a dining room or kitchen and have to take on debt because you overpaid yourself or have the business paying car payments and cell bills .... long rant but I have taken over many failing businesses and the reasons or excuses are endless but 99% of the time they fall into 1 of the 4 mentioned categories.

I'm a Director of Operations for a venture capital groups restaurant portfolio. There are many reasons restaurants fail.

These are the 4 categories that most reasons fall into. A place like Misty's got to rest on its laurels. Didn't innovate. Their clientele aged out and the new generation doesn't have the same love.
You have to keep up with what's new and happening with food. Every year there are new people with expendable income that have new choices. Have to give them reasons to choose you.
The industry doesn't operate on giant profit margins so often the capital isn't there to make the necessary changes. The ones that innovate and evolve are those with large capital. (Corporate or franchise).
A large part of the reason smaller places fail is the income is used to produce a lifestyle for ownership and rarely invested back into business other than needed operating costs. Often the owner takes a salary and tries to operate near zero profits for tax reasons. Great in theory until you need to remodel a dining room or kitchen and have to take on debt because you overpaid yourself or have the business paying car payments and cell bills .... long rant but I have taken over many failing businesses and the reasons or excuses are endless but 99% of the time they fall into 1 of the 4 mentioned categories.
The quality and availability of high-end beef has also improved dramatically over the past couple of decades, but Misty's is content to serve what they always have. Back in the day, it held up fine compared to alternatives. Today, not so much.

The old restaurant debate. I find Lincoln is one of those cities with a LOT of restaurants but whenever I'm asked for a recommendation I can't really come up with anything. Plenty of options, nothing unique or special.

Anyone tried Florio's down by SW HS?

Piedmont Bistro was good the one time I was there. Just trying to give some other options!

I could totally see the aging out of the old costumers being a huge issue for a place like Misty's and the fact that Lincoln has grown so much over even the last 10+ years.

No, Gen Z and Millennials are ruining everything! (steps off soapbox, goes back to guarding my lawn)😅

The old restaurant debate. I find Lincoln is one of those cities with a LOT of restaurants but whenever I'm asked for a recommendation I can't really come up with anything. Plenty of options, nothing unique or special.

Anyone tried Florio's down by SW HS?

Piedmont Bistro was good the one time I was there. Just trying to give some other options!
I think they do a phenomenal job at the Venue

A lack of pride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT