ADVERTISEMENT

Has anybody had this car problem?

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
I have a car that I truly love. I don't want to mention the make. But the trunk has popped opened a few times
on its own. I thought the problem might be the fob in my pocket. I sometimes put on five pounds. But some guys on a google search
said the same thing was happening. They didn't have weight problems. Some even said it happened overnight when they had their remote
on a night table.

I have a car that I truly love. I don't want to mention the make. But the trunk has popped opened a few times
on its own. I thought the problem might be the fob in my pocket. I sometimes put on five pounds. But some guys on a google search
said the same thing was happening. They didn't have weight problems. Some even said it happened overnight when they had their remote
on a night table.
Could still be a fob malfunction, even if it’s not in your pocket. Is it out of warranty?

Could still be a fob malfunction, even if it’s not in your pocket. Is it out of warranty?

It hasn't happened to me with it being out of my pocket. Other guys yes. I mentioned this to the service manager. (I bought the car new.) He had no solution. I doubt they would give me a new one. Opening the trunk from 100 feet away is not important.

It hasn't happened to me with it being out of my pocket. Other guys yes. I mentioned this to the service manager. (I bought the car new.) He had no solution. I doubt they would give me a new one. Opening the trunk from 100 feet away is not important.
If the car is under warranty they should absolutely replace the fob. It’s part of the car, critical or not. Plus it probably costs the manufacturer a pittance to replace it, despite how much they would charge to replace a lost fob.

on a night table.

I have seen and heard of this, in fact as little as 2 weeks ago in a VW. New lock/latch assy fixed it..

on a night table.

I was just hoping someone would name a model that does this. I have my eye on another brand new vehicle.

I was just hoping someone would name a model that does this. I have my eye on another brand new vehicle.
There's a good call in car advice show on clear channel stations on Saturday morning. They would have the answer. IF you're in eastern Nebraska you can probably pull in WNAX 570. I'm not sure if it's on KRVN or not. It's fun to listen to all of the problems people have with their vehicles and then some of the repair shop horror stories.

on a night table.
Why not mention the make of the car?

Is it because you drive a Lamborghini and don’t want people on here to call you a snob? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TheBeav815
I would just fix it. Sounds like it's either the lock/latch assembly, as @litespeedhuskerfan was saying, or your FOB's trunk release button is too sensitive. FOBs need to be occasionally replaced. You could also turn off the trunk release. That might mean a trip to the dealer to have it programmed. I have an aftermarket Viper and can toggle in the settings on/off. Sometimes my installer needs to do the programming, especially when you replace parts.

Is it because you drive a Lamborghini and don’t want people on here to call you a snob? ;)

[/QUOTE]
There's multiple online reports of models from Honda, BMW, Infinity etc having this problem.

There's a good call in car advice show on clear channel stations on Saturday morning. They would have the answer. IF you're in eastern Nebraska you can probably pull in WNAX 570. I'm not sure if it's on KRVN or not. It's fun to listen to all of the problems people have with their vehicles and then some of the repair shop horror stories.

I'm in eastern ... Virginia.

I would just fix it. Sounds like it's either the lock/latch assembly, as @litespeedhuskerfan was saying, or your FOB's trunk release button is too sensitive. FOBs need to be occasionally replaced. You could also turn off the trunk release. That might mean a trip to the dealer to have it programmed. I have an aftermarket Viper and can toggle in the settings on/off. Sometimes my installer needs to do the programming, especially when you replace parts.

I think the FOB trunk release button is too sensitive.

I'm in eastern ... Virginia.
You can listen online. Sounds like this is a common problem in multiple makes of cars. That makes me think it's probably some cheap part that everybody uses in their key fobs or latches.

There's multiple online reports of models from Honda, BMW, Infinity etc having this problem.
[/QUOTE]

I really like the car. The pickup is really good. It makes me think I'm Ahman Green on the road.
That's why I would rather not mention the make.

But neither it nor the one I'm considering is one of the three you mention above. And it's not a Tesla.

You can listen online. Sounds like this is a common problem in multiple makes of cars. That makes me think it's probably some cheap part that everybody uses in their key fobs or latches.

I don't think it is cheap. Just my opinion. It really does seem like it is too sensitive. Thanks.

Nah. I like the car and I would rather not give it a bad rep. A snob? One look at me will kill that idea in a hurry.

I don't think it is cheap. Just my opinion. It really does seem like it is too sensitive. Thanks.
The part inside the key fob or your car that is actuating the unlock mechanism is probably a 10 cent part made in China. I don't care how expensive the car is, they all use outsourced electronic parts.

Reactions: Catch50
My mother-in-laws Subaru had this happen recently. They took it to a dealer to get it fixed. Can’t remember the actual fix off the top of my head.

airbus-a380-cockpit.jpg

Interior of my vehicle.

I had that problem with a rental car. The trunk popped open at night in pouring rain. Since it was night I couldn't see that the trunk was open. I had a lot of stuff that was ruined...

Is there something IN the trunk? Mine did that for a while because a wireframe box I had in there kept grabbing the inside trunk release while I was driving.

Is there something IN the trunk? Mine did that for a while because a wireframe box I had in there kept grabbing the inside trunk release while I was driving.

Yes but nothing like that. Just a few towels and small snow removal tools.

I haven't read the entire thread but replace the switch on the trunk. I replace a lot of them on the tahoes, acadia, traverses and chevy cruze. Most the time you will find corrosion at the switch.

Haven't had that issue. I have to hold down the trunk button for 2-3 seconds before it will pop, and also the design on the fob is such that the trunk button is concave and flush with the fob housing so it's hard to inadvertently press.

Sounds like either a defect or a possibility that they were lazy with their encoding and if somebody else nearby has a similar system your car might respond to their fob. I would think that's in the "highly unlikely but not technically impossible" category.

Any chance something in the trunk is hitting the internal release? They're required to exist, but damn near nobody knows about them.

As it happens mine is at the dealer now getting brake fluid and coolant flushed and a new s-belt. God love Hondas, I don't have a single complaint about either the Civic or the Odyssey. Both approaching 100K miles and doing great. I know you're all wondering and oh yeah, that Odyssey has some punch when you step on that V6 baby!

Haven't had that issue. I have to hold down the trunk button for 2-3 seconds before it will pop, and also the design on the fob is such that the trunk button is concave and flush with the fob housing so it's hard to inadvertently press.

Sounds like either a defect or a possibility that they were lazy with their encoding and if somebody else nearby has a similar system your car might respond to their fob. I would think that's in the "highly unlikely but not technically impossible" category.

Any chance something in the trunk is hitting the internal release? They're required to exist, but damn near nobody knows about them.

As it happens mine is at the dealer now getting brake fluid and coolant flushed and a new s-belt. God love Hondas, I don't have a single complaint about either the Civic or the Odyssey. Both approaching 100K miles and doing great. I know you're all wondering and oh yeah, that Odyssey has some punch when you step on that V6 baby!

Thanks. As I noted above, it seems to mostly happen when I put on a little weight and I have the fob in my pocket.
It has happened about 10 times in the 2 years and 10 months since I have had it. I mentioned it the service manager and he didn't have a fix.

I just wanted to know if anyone had the problem and what make of car. I have a new vehicle I am very interested in and a quick google search did not indicate the problem but a likewise search revealed a bunch of other people with my make of car do have the same problem. Many of them believe as I do the button on the fob is too sensitive. I reversed the cover on my fob so the buttons are blocked. It has happened only once since then in 3 or 4 months.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Thanks. As I noted above, it seems to mostly happen when I put on a little weight and I have the fob in my pocket.
It has happened about 10 times in the 2 years and 10 months since I have had it. I mentioned it the service manager and he didn't have a fix.

I just wanted to know if anyone had the problem and what make of car. I have a new vehicle I am very interested in and a quick google search did not indicate the problem but a likewise search revealed a bunch of other people with my make of car do have the same problem. Many of them believe as I do the button on the fob is too sensitive. I reversed the cover on my fob so the buttons are blocked. It has happened only once since then in 3 or 4 months.

The Red Green skit practically writes itself on this one

They are punchy and I like it. Got rid of our Oddy last year and got a Pilot which I like a lot. My car is getting some age to her, so I'm going to trade her in for another Oddy. I wouldn't have to as the kids are teenagers now and I would get a pickup or sport sedan, but dang, there's a lot to like about a minivan - lots of storage, comfy, roomy cabin, good economy and most importantly, it checks my ego downward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT