Harper Murray wont be suspended

Husker Corner
Fansided

fullscreen
volume_off
2024_07_16_GG_MATT_BROWN_ISO.mp4
close
The Nebraska Cornhuskers shouldn't have followed Mike Gundy's lead
Nebraska Cornhuskers volleyball star Harper Murray won't miss the season opener, but she should.
By Oliver Vandervoort | 7:00 AM CDT

By
Dylan Widger-USA TODAY Sports
Following Nebraska Cornhuskers volleyball star Harper Murray’s punishment for DUI, M.I.P. and shoplifting apparently won’t include missing any time during the Huskers’ regular season. So says head coach John Cook.

On Monday night, Cook issued a statement not long after Murray was sentenced to 9 months of probation as the last piece of legal punishment for her drinking and driving citation this spring. She is also in pretrial diversion for an unrelated shoplifting case that occurred in May.

“Harper has been proactive in taking steps to take responsibility for her mistakes,” Cook said in a statement to the Journal Star. “This summer she has demonstrated through her commitment to community service and through her involvement in helping lead our youth camps that she is ready and willing to learn from this. Harper and her teammates are looking forward to our first practice on Aug. 5 and to playing in the AVCA First Serve Showcase."

Nebraska Cornhuskers follow Mike Gundy’s lead to the detriment of everyone involved
Cook did suspend Murray for the Huskers’ spring scrimmage, but at the time, it seemed as though either Cook or the university were weighing more punishment. It appears they decided not to mete anything else out.

I’m well aware that this opinion is not going to be popular among the denizens of Husker Nation, but Cook is going too light on a player that repeatedly broke the law in a short period of time.

I believe that Harper needs to be suspended for at least one match. If not two or three.

I don’t believe this punishment should be doled out to teach her a lesson. At least not one as elementary as “drinking and driving is wrong.” The lesson here is simply that a member of the Nebraska Cornhuskers athletic program cannot do the things she did and expect to play a full season.

It’s worth pointing out that when one of Matt Rhule’s coaches got caught driving under the influence, he didn’t get suspended, he was immediately fired. However, instead of following in the footsteps of Rhule, Cook decided to follow Mike Gundy’s lead.

The Oklahoma State head coach announced that star running back Ollie Gordon wouldn’t be suspended for any part of the Cowboys’ season, despite being arrested for DUI. As part of the announcement, Gundy claimed Gordon having to play was worse punishment.

He then made some truly pathetic “who among us hasn’t gotten behind the wheel of a car drunk,” excuse. At least Cook stayed away from that silliness.

I won’t excoriate Cook for his decision, though I disagree with it. I also don’t want this to come off as trying to pile on Murray. I simply don’t agree with it. And the fact that it comes just a few weeks after Gundy made his reprehensible comments makes the decision that much worse.

I have no insight into what’s gone on behind the scenes. I’m sure there’s been “internal” punishment doled out. But there should be more public punishment as well. Again, not as a way to pile on Murray. Simply to make it clear to her and everyone who comes after her that the Nebraska Cornhuskers program doesn’t take this lightly.

Instead, it feels from the outside looking in, like the opposite.

Home
/
Nebraska Cornhuskers News
Sponsored content
The Most Intelligent US Presidents Ranked By IQ Score
ItsTheVibe
Ex-Nebraska Cornhuskers AD appears to be at the center of a lie
Fansided
About
Masthead
Openings
Contact
Our 300+ Sites
FanSided Daily
Pitch a Story
Privacy Policy
Terms of Use
Cookie Policy
Legal Disclaimer
Accessibility Statement
A-Z Index
Cookie Preferences
© 2024 Minute Media - All Rights Reserved. The content on this site is for entertainment and educational purposes only. All betting content is intended for an audience ages 21+. All advice, including picks and predictions, is based on individual commentators’ opinions and not that of Minute Media or its related brands. All picks and predictions are suggestions only. No one should expect to make money from the picks and predictions discussed on this website. For more information, please read our Legal Disclaimer. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER.

Steve_Howe_1981_Topps_card_photo.jpg

Any suspension of 1, 2, 3 games is really just eyewash. Barely punishment at all. But, if you suspend her in any significant way she'll just transfer to Texas, etc. Why watch her play somewhere else because we're on a moral high horse that frankly doesn't exist ANYWHERE in college sports?

Any suspension of 1, 2, 3 games is really just eyewash. Barely punishment at all. But, if you suspend her in any significant way she'll just transfer to Texas, etc. Why watch her play somewhere else because we're on a moral high horse that frankly doesn't exist ANYWHERE in college sports?
Yep that’s what happens when you give kids ( athletes are still kids IMO) all the power ( unlimited transfers) .

Reactions: Dylman
Husker Corner
Fansided

fullscreen
volume_off
2024_07_16_GG_MATT_BROWN_ISO.mp4
close
The Nebraska Cornhuskers shouldn't have followed Mike Gundy's lead
Nebraska Cornhuskers volleyball star Harper Murray won't miss the season opener, but she should.
By Oliver Vandervoort | 7:00 AM CDT

By
Dylan Widger-USA TODAY Sports
Following Nebraska Cornhuskers volleyball star Harper Murray’s punishment for DUI, M.I.P. and shoplifting apparently won’t include missing any time during the Huskers’ regular season. So says head coach John Cook.

On Monday night, Cook issued a statement not long after Murray was sentenced to 9 months of probation as the last piece of legal punishment for her drinking and driving citation this spring. She is also in pretrial diversion for an unrelated shoplifting case that occurred in May.

“Harper has been proactive in taking steps to take responsibility for her mistakes,” Cook said in a statement to the Journal Star. “This summer she has demonstrated through her commitment to community service and through her involvement in helping lead our youth camps that she is ready and willing to learn from this. Harper and her teammates are looking forward to our first practice on Aug. 5 and to playing in the AVCA First Serve Showcase."

Nebraska Cornhuskers follow Mike Gundy’s lead to the detriment of everyone involved
Cook did suspend Murray for the Huskers’ spring scrimmage, but at the time, it seemed as though either Cook or the university were weighing more punishment. It appears they decided not to mete anything else out.

I’m well aware that this opinion is not going to be popular among the denizens of Husker Nation, but Cook is going too light on a player that repeatedly broke the law in a short period of time.

I believe that Harper needs to be suspended for at least one match. If not two or three.

I don’t believe this punishment should be doled out to teach her a lesson. At least not one as elementary as “drinking and driving is wrong.” The lesson here is simply that a member of the Nebraska Cornhuskers athletic program cannot do the things she did and expect to play a full season.

It’s worth pointing out that when one of Matt Rhule’s coaches got caught driving under the influence, he didn’t get suspended, he was immediately fired. However, instead of following in the footsteps of Rhule, Cook decided to follow Mike Gundy’s lead.

The Oklahoma State head coach announced that star running back Ollie Gordon wouldn’t be suspended for any part of the Cowboys’ season, despite being arrested for DUI. As part of the announcement, Gundy claimed Gordon having to play was worse punishment.

He then made some truly pathetic “who among us hasn’t gotten behind the wheel of a car drunk,” excuse. At least Cook stayed away from that silliness.

I won’t excoriate Cook for his decision, though I disagree with it. I also don’t want this to come off as trying to pile on Murray. I simply don’t agree with it. And the fact that it comes just a few weeks after Gundy made his reprehensible comments makes the decision that much worse.

I have no insight into what’s gone on behind the scenes. I’m sure there’s been “internal” punishment doled out. But there should be more public punishment as well. Again, not as a way to pile on Murray. Simply to make it clear to her and everyone who comes after her that the Nebraska Cornhuskers program doesn’t take this lightly.

Instead, it feels from the outside looking in, like the opposite.

Home
/
Nebraska Cornhuskers News
Sponsored content
ItsTheVibe
Fansided
About
Masthead
Openings
Contact
Our 300+ Sites
FanSided Daily
Pitch a Story
Privacy Policy
Terms of Use
Cookie Policy
Legal Disclaimer
Accessibility Statement
A-Z Index
Cookie Preferences
© 2024 Minute Media - All Rights Reserved. The content on this site is for entertainment and educational purposes only. All betting content is intended for an audience ages 21+. All advice, including picks and predictions, is based on individual commentators’ opinions and not that of Minute Media or its related brands. All picks and predictions are suggestions only. No one should expect to make money from the picks and predictions discussed on this website. For more information, please read our Legal Disclaimer. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER.
Good post . I agree but hey it’s Cooks and Gundys teams . I have just lost some respect for both.

They have the same power that any other employee has - get paid for your work and/or go somewhere else if you have a better opportunity.
But they are not in the real world yet and A sport should be treated like the real world IMO.

But they are not in the real world yet and A sport should be treated like the real world IMO.
I respect how you feel about this but the "real world" has already determined that these athletes can get paid and leave when they want to. Reality is what it is and it's not changing until the athletes collectively bargain and agree to limitations as a group. That's the only thing that will calm down this chaos.

Except that student-athletes are not employees. Yet anyway.
Technically. I was just using it as a euphemism for the fact that you can't deny a college athlete's right to a)get paid, and b)move freely in the market. Just like employees. And also like employees, it's demand based - if an athlete is average and wants to test the market they're finding that maybe the grass wasn't greener. That doesn't apply to someone like Harper Murray, who would have suitors lined up around the block.

I'm a fairly hardcore law and order guy and don't feel young people should get off scott free just because they are young and stupid. But I'm OK with her playing all the games for Nebraska this season. DUI - strike one, shoplifting - strike two....if there is another one I say "out".

Coach Cook knows Murray and the entire situation going on with her. I don't. I'll trust that Cook is handling this in the way he thinks is best for the player & the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT