ADVERTISEMENT

Hadn’t seen this posted on Raiola

There are three sources out there measuring strength of schedule. ESPN, Massy and Sagarin. Both ESPN and Massy have Indiana’s schedule through 6 games as being tougher than Nebraskas. Sagarin has our schedule tougher than Indiana.

Indiana hasn’t played a team with a winning record we have played three (Illinois 5-1, Colorado 4-2, Rutgers 4-2).

Also, the worst team we have played (UTEP), just beat the second worst team they have played (FIU).

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
All those receivers and not an alpha among them is alarming. I think a bigger issue is how most routes are being ran behind the sticks, the passing game has not been vertical enough lately. Cannot believe Fidone or Bonner can’t run a shallow crosser to pick up 5–10 yards almost at will.
Barney is an alpha. Satterfield just doesn't let him go deep often.

There are 4 basic ways to defeat man coverage:
  1. Use motion.
  2. Throw to the running back (identify the mismatch).
  3. Run crossing routes.
  4. Stack your receivers & change up the releases.
In all of those, the respective receiver needs to run clean. How they run clean can vary depending on the route and/or the receiver. Which of these basic 4 are we not doing against man coverage? I've seen all of those at various times. It's also not always easy to see what's happening down field when watching the game on TV. Easier to see in the stadium.
The phantom Fidone pick was against man? I believe it was without watching it again.

Indiana hasn’t played a team with a winning record we have played three (Illinois 5-1, Colorado 4-2, Rutgers 4-2).

Also, the worst team we have played (UTEP), just beat the second worst team they have played (FIU).
Yeah, I don't think anyone would think IU has had a tougher schedule.

Reactions: V-Doub

Not arguing your point. A poster asked if there was any information on SOS for the first six games so I passed along those sources.

Reactions: V-Doub and headcard
There are three sources out there measuring strength of schedule. ESPN, Massy and Sagarin. Both ESPN and Massy have Indiana’s schedule through 6 games as being tougher than Nebraskas. Sagarin has our schedule tougher than Indiana.

I don’t think it even needs to be said that ESPN is a joke, so I’ll pass on their ratings. Massey hasn’t even been around half as long as Sagarin, I would go with Sagarin here. But none of it matters, neither team has had a very tough schedule my point was, why is everyone acting like Indiana is some kind of powerhouse.

Last edited:
So the play design and the play call were all good in these videos. The receivers were getting open. Our 5-star Freshman QB made the wrong decision. Interesting.

But he is our freshman QB. And if the coaches are showing him what he did in film sessions and repping/teaching him how to improve in those situations… He should, in theory, continue to get better. He has the talent, he’s very coachable, so let hope and expect him to improve.

If that’s accurate, espn’s SOS rankings, that’s ridiculous. Nobody with a triple digit IQ could possibly think Indiana has had a tougher SOS. Doesn’t mean NU will win, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t. But, seriously…

Last edited:
If that’s accurate, espn’s SOS rankings. That’s ridiculous, nobody with a triple digit IQ could possibly think Indiana has had a tougher SOS. Doesn’t mean NU will win, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t. But, seriously…
Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF
"bUt ThAtS wHaT iT sAyS"

If that’s accurate, espn’s SOS rankings, that’s ridiculous. Nobody with a triple digit IQ could possibly think Indiana has had a tougher SOS. Doesn’t mean NU will win, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t. But, seriously…
Part of the problem is SOS gives a ton of credit for winning on the road, regardless of opponent. They have 2 conference road wins. Not sure what other factors.

Theres one that's only based off of the power rankings of teams faced and Nebraska is 39 and Indiana 118. All depends on the factors.

But he is our freshman QB. And if the coaches are showing him what he did in film sessions and repping/teaching him how to improve in those situations… He should, in theory, continue to get better. He has the talent, he’s very coachable, so let hope and expect him to improve.
I whole heartedly agree. I still believe he has a high ceiling.

Then the algorithms have some flaws.

Indiana’s best win is either 3-3 Northwestern or 3-3 Maryland. NW is 7.5 dog at home against 4-2 Wisconsin. Maryland is 7.5 dog at home against 3-3 USC traveling 3 time zones. There is no respect for either of these teams, and they are Indiana’s crown jewel wins thus far.

Part of the problem is SOS gives a ton of credit for winning on the road, regardless of opponent. They have 2 conference road wins. Not sure what other factors.

Theres one that's only based off of the power rankings of teams faced and Nebraska is 39 and Indiana 118. All depends on the factors.

These metrics completely depend on what data is included and what isn’t. I’m not particularly familiar with how they get these results. But, if they value (over value) road conference wins, I can see how beating UCLA and Northwestern on the road would skew their rankings into a realm of fantasy. By season’s end people will be saying “who doesn’t win at Northwestern/UCLA”. Both teams are on a 10 loss trajectory…

Then the algorithms have some flaws.

Indiana’s best win is either 3-3 Northwestern or 3-3 Maryland. NW is 7.5 dog at home against 4-2 Wisconsin. Maryland is 7.5 dog at home against 3-3 USC traveling 3 time zones. There is no respect for either of these teams, and they are Indiana’s crown jewel wins thus far.
The Office Thank You GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT