C - F
Rest of OL - C-
DL - C+
LB - C
CB - B
S - B+

Special Teams - C+

Punt return and some decent punts helped special teams grade

I think they used this game as a try out honestly, and it nearly cost them. I believe they thought they could push these guys around with some basic plays and the play of Jurgens ruined that. That was the worst C I’ve ever seen in a game. Poor kid. I hope he figures it out

Keep Wandale and Maurice in the game. I think Mills is fine, but the OL did him no justice.

I think we win next week. I think we will see some better/more creative plays.

If we see more of the same, we are in for a 6 win season

Last edited:
Reactions: Sous Chef and K_Y_E
Anytime you have 5 turnovers with 2 going for scores, the low grade should be a B+.

I’d give the offense a C- I thought the play calling was unimaginative. But there were several plays where JD was running open and Martinez didn’t see him. Stoll and Allen needed to be used more.

I have to go with a B- for special teams. Again anytime you score on special teams it’s good. Punting was decent, the missed FG sucked and the muffed punt was inexcusable. But I don’t count the missed FG by a walk on back up true freshman kicker as harshly.

Coaching was a C. Defensive play calling was better than offensive play calling. There were players making plays that spent a lot of time, too much time, on the bench.

“Incomplete” it is not. I look at it from the South Bama grades or perspective. If I am Bama I take this like a major win. Need I say more.

What does that even mean? If you’re Bama?
I am looking at how we performed from the south Alabama perspective. If I am “Bama” I take this game against number - 24 in the nation and an opponent who has a Heisman candidate at QB as a total victory on many aspects of the football game. My point is that “Bama” was not a tough opponent by any means which does not bode well for our team unless they get their Offense firing this week. Get it now?

I am looking at how we performed from the south Alabama perspective. If I am “Bama” I take this game against number - 24 in the nation and an opponent who has a Heisman candidate at QB as a total victory on many aspects of the football game. My point is that “Bama” was not a tough opponent by any means which does not bode well for our team unless they get their Offense firing this week. Get it now?

Bama is playing Duke

And only fans deal in feel good and moral victories.

I’d bet the South Alabama players and coaches believe they should have won that game and are disappointed that they gave up 3 non offensive TDs. If not for those 21 points, they win the game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Incomplete would mean I need more data points for a grade. Anything else is pure emotional response.

Zach Duval = D-

This team has bulked up and has sacrificed speed for it. We looked like a much slower team than last year. Martinez has slowed down the most and needs to drop at least 10 pounds.

Not the start anyone would want with such an inferior opponent. Certainly not incomplete to me. Not saying we will go down next week but it will be a much tighter game then those who say it will be a cakewalk at the Buffs. Expected a lot more today - not satisfied at all.

Not the start anyone would want with such an inferior opponent. Certainly not incomplete to me. Not saying we will go down next week but it will be a much tighter game then those who say it will be a cakewalk at the Buffs. Expected a lot more today - not satisfied at all.

Exactly and Vegas wasn’t dumb having NU a 7.5 favorite...

Will see what the lines opens up tomorrow..

Reactions: SC_'sker
So many over dramatic people on this board. Nebraska played terribly, the best player on the team played his worst game. The defense and special teams were way better than last season. A back-to-back 4 win team won by 2 scores while playing a bad game.

“Incomplete” it is not. I look at it from the South Bama grades or perspective. If I am Bama I take this like a major win. Need I say more.

We all know that they’re going to go out and get their asses kicked in the coming weeks. I don’t think this was much of a moral victory to them.

Anytime you have 2 evenly matched teams facing off, the game often is determined by who has the favorable turnover margin.

We got some timely turnovers in a game where the 2 programs were evenly matched in the trenches and where their QB making his first start in front of 90k was the equal to his heisman candidate counterpart.

Reactions: huskrz1
We all know that they’re going to go out and get their asses kicked in the coming weeks. I don’t think this was much of a moral victory to them.

Well, that could very well be. But it's possible it was mainly a 1st game disaster. I don't know......but there's a decent chance things will look a lot better next week.

Anytime you have 5 turnovers with 2 going for scores, the low grade should be a B+.

I’d give the offense a C- I thought the play calling was unimaginative. But there were several plays where JD was running open and Martinez didn’t see him. Stoll and Allen needed to be used more.

I have to go with a B- for special teams. Again anytime you score on special teams it’s good. Punting was decent, the missed FG sucked and the muffed punt was inexcusable. But I don’t count the missed FG by a walk on back up true freshman kicker as harshly.

Coaching was a C. Defensive play calling was better than offensive play calling. There were players making plays that spent a lot of time, too much time, on the bench.
Yeah, true. I Can't believe I am saying this but the defensive coaching might bring the overall grade up a bit.

Well, that could very well be. But it's possible it was mainly a 1st game disaster. I don't know......but there's a decent chance things will look a lot better next week.
We will be better I am certain as well, but the next opponent will be better as well. We will be on the road with batteries a flying so we need the offense to step up or it could be much closer then I expected prior to yesterday’s game. Want to see Wandale and number 28 early and often. Let’s give the QB some easy confidence building passes and rely on the early if he can and hit the Buffs in the mouth and make them bleed.

I was speaking on South Alabama here. We could look better, I don’t know but I’m sure the usual ass kickings will be lined up for South Alabama down the road. Those kids didn’t gain anything by hanging in there.

I was speaking on South Alabama here. We could look better, I don’t know but I’m sure the usual ass kickings will be lined up for South Alabama down the road. Those kids didn’t gain anything by hanging in there.
I doubt that very much. 24th in the nation....90k and on the road and against the future Heisman trophy QB and I bet south Bama took more from this game other then a bunch of money. Experience is number one and they actually looked good and even better then us at times and even played better then we did for much of the first half. They will be better for it and did better then most husker and other fans and commentators expected. Slight grain of salt however as e looked like poop on offense and that was both poor execution and they were decent on D. They ran against our defense and if they hadn’t of kept throwing the ball to the wrong guy a few times could have been another nail-bitter. I hope we can run the ball half as good as they did against a B10 opponent.

I doubt that very much. 24th in the nation....90k and on the road and against the future Heisman trophy QB and I bet south Bama took more from this game other then a bunch of money. Experience is number one and they actually looked good and even better then us at times and even played better then we did for much of the first half. They will be better for it and did better then most husker and other fans and commentators expected. Slight grain of salt however as e looked like poop on offense and that was both poor execution and they were decent on D. They ran against our defense and if they hadn’t of kept throwing the ball to the wrong guy a few times could have been another nail-bitter. I hope we can run the ball half as good as they did against a B10 opponent.

They’re a football team, they’re not going to see this as a win. Thats all fan talk..

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
They’re a football team, they’re not going to see this as a win. Thats all fan talk..
U play football? Didn’t say they won - I said in their minds yesterday was some-what of a victory for that team on many fronts. To say that yesterday’s effort against a P-5 team that many predict will win the B10 West and to throw a top 3 QB in the B10 to his worst game to date meant nothing to Southern Alabama is ridiculous.

Another fact. Their coaches called the game as if they expected to win. They didn’t run the clock down trying to shorten it. They snapped with 12-20 seconds on the clock all game long.
That is a huge fact - just how many teams and/or coaches hit the field thinking they are going to lose.

That is a huge fact - just how many teams and/or coaches hit the field thinking they are going to lose.

Exactly. So when they lose, especially when they give up 3 non offensive TDs, they don’t have a single thought about, well at least we kept it close, and what a moral victory.

They say things like, if we don’t have mental errors, don’t turn the ball over 5 times, we win that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT