ADVERTISEMENT

Getting legs..... saliva tests may be a game changer

I don't think maintaining scholarships is the issue. It's what happens if some player becomes seriously ill, or God forbid - worse, after having contracted Covid at some point during the season.

We didn't cancel football after Eric Legrand was paralyzed. Risk is part of life. This is just a really, really, infinitesimally small one (less than 250 deaths nationwide for those under 24, and all of them had significant comorbidities - exponentially higher risk of dying from the flu)

I'd put money that the attorney he is speaking of is Tom Mars.
The guy he is talking about is an attorney in Arkansas and he has either had cases for or against the NCAA in the past. Memory has it he may have been the atty for the Pac-12 in this matter also. He had an extensive interview that showed up on twitter and was asked how we could possibly get the season back and part of his response was word for word what this tweet is about.
The attorney is claiming the NCAA getting handcuffed by the Senate intervention caused these dominoes to fall when they were forced to ban the Covid waivers, which some colleges insurance carriers were asking for. Basically they could opt out or sign the waiver.
Its a political issue that following his suggestions has no chance to get resolved early.

I don't think maintaining scholarships is the issue. It's what happens if some player becomes seriously ill, or God forbid - worse, after having contracted Covid at some point during the season.
Couldn’t this exact same argument be used against any university that holds any sort of in person class?

There are reasons to freak out because let's say a healthy 22 year old tested positive, two days prior that 22 year old visited his grandparents. Chances are those grandparents who let's say they are in their 80s are tested positive and one of those grandparents has to be on a ventilator.

Yes, a very good likelihood the 22 year old will survive this but what about his grandparents?

Maybe he should social distance from the grandparent instead. That way only one person would have to put their life on hold instead of both. He could continue to get his education and the grandparent would be safe. There are lots of ways to communicate these days.

Reactions: HCSF18 and mkihne
There are reasons to freak out because let's say a healthy 22 year old tested positive, two days prior that 22 year old visited his grandparents. Chances are those grandparents who let's say they are in their 80s are tested positive and one of those grandparents has to be on a ventilator.

Yes, a very good likelihood the 22 year old will survive this but what about his grandparents?

Yes and same thing could happen with the flu, or a cold or some other sickness. If you are around crowds or partying simply stay away from your grandparents the same you would if you had the flu or a cold. Common sense.

FYI: I'm pretty sure Rabinowitz is an OSU journalist.
I’m as happy as anyone That there is a glimmer of hope for a football season....which means sanity may not be lost for ever......however, someone explain to me WTF testing a largely asymptomatic population which is unlikely to infect others, is unlikely to need significant medical care if acquired, rarely dies from it(name one) is significant in any way.
This is in the context of every day existence prior to the “pandemic”. I have asked in several threads with no response (I have considered that I may be on ignore). Where are the deaths, hospitalizations?

Maybe he should social distance from the grandparent instead. That way only one person would have to put their life on hold instead of both. He could continue to get his education and the grandparent would be safe. There are lots of ways to communicate these days.
Too much common sense.....where did you find yours?....seems to be in short supply.

Reactions: betsch
Yes and same thing could happen with the flu, or a cold or some other sickness. If you are around crowds or partying simply stay away from your grandparents the same you would if you had the flu or a cold. Common sense.
Common sense is becoming strong in this thread.

To me it’s kinda like dating all over again. If the benefits of playing outweigh the chances of kids seeing grandparents then you play

The grandparents need to talk on the phone to their grandson who is out doing grand son things, instead of seeing each other in person. If grandma and grandpa can work an ipad or computer they can face time. It sucks, that is not a question, but if you have parents who are vulnerable or grand parents, then they need to be staying home and being careful, not mingling with the kids.

Yup, just posted the same. We can't/shouldn't lock kids down because they might go visit their grandparents. Those who have preexisting conditions and older people need to be safe, by following the guidelines. The kids who are 99.9% (made that up but its close) likely to be fine should have the choice of going on campus to class and to play the sports they've worked their whole lives for.

Reactions: betsch
The grandparents need to talk on the phone to their grandson who is out doing grand son things, instead of seeing each other in person. If grandma and grandpa can work an ipad or computer they can face time. It sucks, that is not a question, but if you have parents who are vulnerable or grand parents, then they need to be staying home and being careful, not mingling with the kids.

I don't understand why this is so hard for the grandma crowd to understand. And we're 6 months in,, ,

~nfm

Not going to happen. Once students are back on campus you can forget it. Just look at what happened at UNC this week.
That's a good thing, imo. More schools are going to online classes only which makes football much more likely. If players are taking online classes, they can easily setup a bubble on campus for coaches and players. Private transportation will keep them in a bubble while they travel.

FYI: I'm pretty sure Rabinowitz is an OSU journalist.
Saliva tests would be a huge game changer. I know they are making progress. Would be surprised if it is ready by week 1. I mean if every household had these the US economy could get back to full steam. They are going to have to make hundreds of millions of them which will take time.

Yup, just posted the same. We can't/shouldn't lock kids down because they might go visit their grandparents. Those who have preexisting conditions and older people need to be safe, by following the guidelines. The kids who are 99.9% (made that up but its close) likely to be fine should have the choice of going on campus to class and to play the sports they've worked their whole lives for.

It can definitely work at the college level. It is a little tougher for grade school and high school since they have to go home everyday and the grandparents might live with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT