ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW...sounds like scheduling changes are coming

Not a move to 8 games then.

Steven M. Sipple‏ @HuskerExtraSip8m8 minutes ago

More
If you're reading "Big Ten mulling 8-game league schedule" into Moos' comments Monday on Sports Nightly ... slow that roll. The B1G in coming days will announce schedule news for 2023 and beyond, but it does NOT involve moving to 8. "That is NOT in the cards," Moos said this a.m.

So does it mean a philosophy like the SEC where NU, IA, WI, OSU, PSU, MSU, and MU crossover games are only played against weak teams, ala Bama's eastern division schedule?

Sure easier to reduce losses for the top teams and give them a better chance to make the playoffs that way due to fewer losses. Doesn't Bama have one of the weakest schedules this year, like Wisconsin last year? Good thing they will easily pass the eye test.

What could the schedule news possible be?
-Nothing 'new' at all?
-Moving multiple conference games to early September?
-No more 11am games (sorry Frost)?
-FCS teams will be allowed again?
-Fair and balanced scheduling?
-A set schedule and rotation for all teams that would not allow some trophy games to be played yearly any more?
-The 7 teams with the highest home attendance get 5 home games every year while the other 7 teams only get 4?
-No more divisions and a rotating schedule equal for all teams where the top two teams play in the CCG?
-No more Tier 1, 2, 3 team schedules?
-A pact with the ACC to give football a copy of the ACC/B1G challenge
-No more playing Notre Dame unless they join the conference?
-The MAC teams will all be replaed with AAC teams?

"Moos hinted that the league is in strong talks about modifying the 9-game conference schedule that puts the Big Ten at a competitive disadvantage against the SEC and ACC when it comes to the College Football Playoff, New Year's Six Bowl games and overall win-loss records which effect polls and strength of schedule."​

My guess would be that they want to help get the top B1G team(s) to the playoffs by having fewer losses.

No more best vs best scheduling type stuff maybe.

They need the top team to have 0 or 1 loss every year as a 2-loss B1G probably will not have a chance to get in. No more Iowa vs OSU games that keep a team out and allow the SEC to get 2 teams in!!

Reactions: jeans15
"Moos hinted that the league is in strong talks about modifying the 9-game conference schedule that puts the Big Ten at a competitive disadvantage against the SEC and ACC when it comes to the College Football Playoff, New Year's Six Bowl games and overall win-loss records which effect polls and strength of schedule."​

My guess would be that they want to help get the top B1G team(s) to the playoffs by having fewer losses.

No more best vs best scheduling type stuff maybe.

They need the top team to have 0 or 1 loss every year as a 2-loss B1G probably will not have a chance to get in. No more Iowa vs OSU games that keep a team out and allow the SEC to get 2 teams in!!
The fact that no Big 10 teams got in the playoff last year doesn't mean there was a scheduling problem. The Big 10 had some very good teams but none of them were good enough to deserve to be in the playoffs.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
The fact that no Big 10 teams got in the playoff last year doesn't mean there was a scheduling problem. The Big 10 had some very good teams but none of them were good enough to deserve to be in the playoffs.

It may or may not have been scheduling because Wisconsin might have gotten in with a tougher schedule.

Not sure I agree completely with the last sentence...

"Deserve" is an opinion though.

Hindsight is 20/20 and maybe Clemson should not have been in the playoffs last year, although they were a lock after winning their conference and having only one loss, which was to a bad/mediocre team in Syracuse.

They pulled an Ohio State and looked like they didn't deserve to be in the playoffs once they got in.

Alabama didn't win their division, much less their conference.

Wisconsin, OSU, and Penn St all had very good teams that, depending on whose opinion, might have deserved to get into the playoffs. If winning your conference meant you deserved it, which it doesn't, then OSU would have deserved to get in.

If OSU lost to Iowa in a close game, they might have deserved to get in.

Wisconsin lost the CCG by a TD while Bama lost by 12 points and never played in their CCG. Why did Bama "deserve" to be in vs Wisconsin? They had a crap schedule.

Bama's schedule included the 2 worst teams in the SEC least, non-impressive wins vs LSU(9-4), MSU(9-4), and TA&M(7-6) from their division, a loss to the only other good team in their division in Auburn, a crappy FSU team that couldn't beat anyone with a backup qb, and Fresno St, Colorado St, and Mercer of the FCS.

Wisconsin had a weak schedule but deserved to be in since they at least won their division...

Like I said, deserve is an opinion. I could make a good argument for Bama against the B1G too, especially in hindsight, given their championship and all...

In a way, scheduling kept UCF out of the playoffs.

Winning one's division should be based on divisional wins and losses only.

Why? It's a conference schedule. If you are going to do that, don't even schedule games against the other division. Just play 6 division games and 6 non conference games. Or don't have divisions at all and just take the top 2 teams in the league to play in the title game.

No other sport in the world bases it's division winners solely on division games. Why should college football be different?

Reactions: scarletred
Why? It's a conference schedule. If you are going to do that, don't even schedule games against the other division. Just play 6 division games and 6 non conference games. Or don't have divisions at all and just take the top 2 teams in the league to play in the title game.

No other sport in the world bases it's division winners solely on division games. Why should college football be different?
The teams in the division don't all play the same out of division teams. Some teams play harder cross division schedules than others, and currently they get penalized for it. If you are going to crown a division winner, should it not be based on what happened in that division?

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
The teams in the division don't all play the same out of division teams. Some teams play harder cross division schedules than others, and currently they get penalized for it. If you are going to crown a division winner, should it not be based on what happened in that division?

Again, name me a single sport that crowns a division champion based solely on division games.

That would be stupid. You could potentially have a team with a losing conference record get in just because they won the most games in the division.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I believe Moos, if I read it right, would like to schedule former Big 8 teams (MIssouri, ISU, the Kansas schools and possibly Colorado--after the ones already scheduled). That is appealing to me--he didn't mention OSU and OU (after the four scheduled over the coming years). Would like those two, also. The idea sounds real good to me.

I think they are ditching the idea of playing that unbalanced cross-over schedule where they look at trailing average conference records and try to match up the top teams from each division as cross-overs. Looks like they will just do a balanced cross-over schedule which is probably best. That means Nebraska will likely play Rutgers as much as Ohio State over say a 10 year period.

Don't like it, but the ACC and SEC are bitches. We have to play on a level playing field.

As for Minnesota on Black Friday, you guys got dicked. These games weren't going to happen over night.

But for years, we always ended with the rotation of Wisky and Minny. It was nice, kinda. But I am more into building a tradition and sticking with it. I like Black Friday vs Nebraska. Its nice to be apart of.

Delaney underestimates the secespn machine.
If the sec is at 9 games and no one else, they would be given credit for it that the B1G is not and it would factor heavily into their losses, even multiple of them and they would jump other schools since they play more conference games in the sec, etc.
When the B1G does it they get a few nice things said about tem, but when the crap hits the fan it only harms the teams and they are jumped by teams with worse schedules.
This isnt complaining, it is acknowledging what is truth.
I applaud delaney for trying, and i applaud him for looking at changing, but now it will only be spun as a negative with other conferences.
Its important the big does what it can to try to break the hold the secespn has on the media and cfb.

Of course, the best way to do that is winning. Winning will cure all evils. But it has to be the playoff as the secespn will spin everything else regardless of how evident it is the B1G is underrated and sec overrated.

But will the B1G beat itself up too much?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT