ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Maurice Washington

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Not much of an update but I noted that Frost was asked by the media today in Chicago about the status of Maurice Washington. Frost responded that there was no change in status but that Maurice has continued to work out in the weight room and with the team. He said Maurice will participate in Fall practice unless something changes. Maurice Washington is listed at 190 lbs. on the newly released roster. I tend to think that probably is correct as it also now lists Martinez at 225 lbs. and that's what Adrian said he now weighed after working out. Washington's next court date is a week from today.

Not much of an update but I noted that Frost was asked by the media today in Chicago about the status of Maurice Washington. Frost responded that there was no change in status but that Maurice has continued to work out in the weight room and with the team. He said Maurice will participate in Fall practice unless something changes. Maurice Washington is listed at 190 lbs. on the newly released roster. I tend to think that probably is correct as it also now lists Martinez at 225 lbs. and that's what Adrian said he now weighed after working out. Washington's next court date is a week from today.

I said the whole time, Maurice Washington won’t be going anywhere. His charges will get pleaded down and he will end up on probation and that alone will allow Moos and Frost to keep Washington. And having him will make us tons better. Martinez, Washington And Mills in the back field will be scary for any and all BIG defenses. Washington has the “IT” factor to him anywhere on the field.

I said the whole time, Maurice Washington won’t be going anywhere. His charges will get pleaded down and he will end up on probation and that alone will allow Moos and Frost to keep Washington. And having him will make us tons better. Martinez, Washington And Mills in the back field will be scary for any and all BIG defenses. Washington has the “IT” factor to him anywhere on the field.
didn't he have some kind of other charge on campus? paraphernalia or something? is that pretty minor?

didn't he have some kind of other charge on campus? paraphernalia or something? is that pretty minor?
Yes, but that one is pretty minor IMO (he wasn't even caught smoking or in possession of the substance iteself) and it wouldn't even be considered an issue in at least 11 states.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Felony or field

Ultimately, yes. That’s how it will play out. But reading the fine print here...it taking the DA almost a year to just charge him kind of shows they don’t have a solid case. And if I’m right with this, that will set up for an easy plea down for Washington and his attorney. No way does it go to trail, a deal will made so Washington can still play football and everyone will move on. GBR

it taking the DA almost a year to just charge him kind of shows they don’t have a solid case.

Eh, maybe but I wouldn't necessarily read it that way, could also be they are planning to really stick it to him and want to make sure all their ducks are in a row. In my area (podunk Illinois), in a relatively cut and dried murder trial with lots of witnesses it took them a good 9-10 months to finally get to trial. The trial itself took 3 days. They made sure they had every technicality and question addressed before they moved forward. With the political climate, they may want to make an example of him, which wouldn't be good for him obviously. But, I could be completely wrong too.

Eh, maybe but I wouldn't necessarily read it that way, could also be they are planning to really stick it to him and want to make sure all their ducks are in a row. In my area (podunk Illinois), in a relatively cut and dried murder trial with lots of witnesses it took them a good 9-10 months to finally get to trial. The trial itself took 3 days. They made sure they had every technicality and question addressed before they moved forward. With the political climate, they may want to make an example of him, which wouldn't be good for him obviously. But, I could be completely wrong too.
Illini student that killed the exchange student?

Speaking of weed, Nebraska has pretty lenient pot laws, which I am very thankful for. Paraphernalia can be a citation (like a traffic ticket), and so is under an ounce of the actual good stuff. Both are not felonies. It only gets felonious when you possess more than an ounce, because they bump it up to distribution.

Despite the fact that it should be legal everywhere, and that it is great at pain mitigation, we actually have better laws on it than our neighbors to the east do.

As a fellow Illinois native, whereabouts in podunk are you from?

Speaking of weed, Nebraska has pretty lenient pot laws, which I am very thankful for. Paraphernalia can be a citation (like a traffic ticket), and so is under an ounce of the actual good stuff. Both are not felonies. It only gets felonious when you possess more than an ounce, because they bump it up to distribution.

Despite the fact that it should be legal everywhere, and that it is great at pain mitigation, we actually have better laws on it than our neighbors to the east do.
Yep, in Nebraska it's way more serious to get an MIP than a citation for less than an ounce of weed.

Reactions: blackbones
I saw a legal analyst on one news station predicting prosecutors will be way less willing to plea cases out that since Labor Secretary Acosta was recently forced to step down. Acosta did a federal non-prosecution agreement with the state prosecutors dropping federal charges on Epstein as long as the state gave him jail time and made him register as a sex offender. Allowing the plea ruined his career and the legal analyst suggested going forward all prosecutors of underage sex crimes will be less willing to accept pleas.

Many people don’t know this but in Nebraska, if you posses more than one ounce but less than one pound, and it’s all in a single container, it’s actually only a misdemeanor. (It’s for personal use your honor)
giphy.gif

Silz.gif

Only possession of more than a lb is a felony.

Thing is, most people who get caught with that much have their weed in multiple containers, have multiple scales or had someone do a controlled buy on them. That’s when they have the ability to hit you with distribution, which obviously is a class III F.

As a fellow Illinois native, whereabouts in podunk are you from?

Raised and currently in LaSalle County. Was born (lived there til age 5) and went back to college in Logan County.

Illini student that killed the exchange student?

No, although I am definitely aware of that one. This one was a drug/gang related shooting in Streator, IL. It's the kind if thing that in Chicago might have gone unsolved but when it happens in a small town, not so much.

Reactions: husker021
Raised and currently in LaSalle County. Was born (lived there til age 5) and went back to college in Logan County.

No, although I am definitely aware of that one. This one was a drug/gang related shooting in Streator, IL. It's the kind if thing that in Chicago might have gone unsolved but when it happens in a small town, not so much.
Wow...LaSalle??

Born in Downers Grove

Don't all those Streator kids go to to U of Illinois for a few years then back home to farm? :)

Wow...LaSalle??

Born in Downers Grove

Don't all those Streator kids go to to U of Illinois for a few years then back home to farm? :)

My sister is actually a vice principal at one of the Downers Grove high schools, don't remember which one. My brother-in-law is a guidance counselor at another.

In our area it's usually Illinois State, not U of I . The guy from the case was actually from Chicago but involved with people in Streator.

DuPage county and York HS here
**** the Dukes!

Years ago...I tipped a pass that sealed up the West Suburban Silver Conference for us...

Of course...I was not in the right spot at the time according to the defensive play callbut whatever!

Oh yeah...the "Green Mile" was insane...the York CC team was pretty much amazing.

My sister is actually a vice principal at one of the Downers Grove high schools, don't remember which one. My brother-in-law is a guidance counselor at another.

In our area it's usually Illinois State, not U of I . The guy from the case was actually from Chicago but involved with people in Streator.
Well...you got a 50/50 chance...North (the awesome one) or South (the super lame one)

Also...Randy Macho Man Savage went to my HS!

Didn't know there were so many Illinoisans on here. Be glad you guys got out, the state is going down the crapper.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Many people don’t know this but in Nebraska, if you posses more than one ounce but less than one pound, and it’s all in a single container, it’s actually only a misdemeanor. (It’s for personal use your honor)
giphy.gif

Silz.gif

Only possession of more than a lb is a felony.

Thing is, most people who get caught with that much have their weed in multiple containers, have multiple scales or had someone do a controlled buy on them. That’s when they have the ability to hit you with distribution, which obviously is a class III F.

Big difference bw leaf and “wax” or liquid though. Since everything is charged by “weight” and the law has not caught up to new forms of the drug, in Nebraska, a few personal use gummies can can get you a felony charge.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Big difference bw leaf and “wax” or liquid though. Since everything is charged by “weight” and the law has not caught up to new forms of the drug, in Nebraska, a few personal use gummies can can get you a felony charge.

Yes, I believe the concentrates or anything manufactured is a felony.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
**** the Dukes!

Years ago...I tipped a pass that sealed up the West Suburban Silver Conference for us...

Of course...I was not in the right spot at the time according to the defensive play callbut whatever!

Oh yeah...the "Green Mile" was insane...the York CC team was pretty much amazing.

Yep coach Newton recently passed. ( the cross country coach). One of my classmates was the coach at York for a few years. Heck. Depending on when you tipped that pass, he may have b en the QB

Yep coach Newton recently passed. ( the cross country coach). One of my classmates was the coach at York for a few years. Heck. Depending on when you tipped that pass, he may have b en the QB

Ha...Maybe! York was always sort of lame in football while I was in HS...

Hinsdale Central sucked...bunch of rich kids!!!

I believe you are correct in your assessment. This case is too public , they have an continue to make an example out of Maurice. Already a lot of time and money has been spent by the state of California on this case

Don’t believe they are playing here, find something real , not opinion , that says they aren’t

I believe you are correct in your assessment. This case is too public , they have an continue to make an example out of Maurice. Already a lot of time and money has been spent by the state of California on this case

Don’t believe they are playing here, find something real , not opinion , that says they aren’t

Too public? Outside of Nebraska and that little area of California, who gives a crap? Haven't seen any national coverage aside from when the incident first came to light.

I challenge you to find something real, not opinion, that says this won't get plead down.

Reactions: timnsun
Too public? Outside of Nebraska and that little area of California, who gives a crap? Haven't seen any national coverage aside from when the incident first came to light.

I challenge you to find something real, not opinion, that says this won't get plead down.
I think I agree with you. But the fact that a plea hasn’t happened yet after this long is concerning.

Reactions: SC_'sker
There's another York Dukes in America?? crazy

I think I agree with you. But the fact that a plea hasn’t happened yet after this long is concerning.

I won't pretend to know all the intricacies of the court system, but Mo didn't even have a legal representative that could operate in California until his last hearing, at which point he was appointed a CA lawyer. I suspect they could not reach a plea deal until that happened, but I don't know.

I won't pretend to know all the intricacies of the court system, but Mo didn't even have a legal representative that could operate in California until his last hearing, at which point he was appointed a CA lawyer. I suspect they could not reach a plea deal until that happened, but I don't know.
Pretty sure his Cali lawyer is advising with his Nebraska lawyer..

Maybe im a dummy, but do you have to have a legal license for each state you want to practice in?

I saw a legal analyst on one news station predicting prosecutors will be way less willing to plea cases out that since Labor Secretary Acosta was recently forced to step down. Acosta did a federal non-prosecution agreement with the state prosecutors dropping federal charges on Epstein as long as the state gave him jail time and made him register as a sex offender. Allowing the plea ruined his career and the legal analyst suggested going forward all prosecutors of underage sex crimes will be less willing to accept pleas.
I don't see that happening. That particular plea deal was way outside of the typical plea agreement. I have never had an AUSA defer to a state prosecutor once an indictment was unsealed. Typically, it goes the other way. If a guy is charged in state court and the Feds indict for the same conduct, the state typically dismisses and let the Feds whack the accused. Sometimes, that actually ends up working out better for the accused, but rarely, and never like the Epstein plea, in my experience.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT