ADVERTISEMENT

Fun fishing story

CodyHusker

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2005
CasperCody here...was up at my brother's in Cody on Wednesday. Went up to the Clark's Fork for some fishing. (about 20-25 miles from the Park). we pulled off the highway about 50 yards down a two track where we know there are some nice pools and began fishing. Probably 10-15 minutes went by and i wasn't having any luck so I headed downstream a little. There was a flood a couple years ago so lots of deadfall and trees making it kind of an obstacle to maneuver through. I got about 50-60 yards and heard some bark crunch (as if being pulled away from a tree or being stepped on). I looked up and about 30 yards in front of me I saw about the top third of a dark reddish figure with its head down. I assumed it was an elk calf due to the coloration so I searched quickly for the momma. I didn't see anything so I concentrated on the figure again and then its head popped up. It calmly looked at me and I saw the unmistakeable black bear ears and face. I looked at it for about 2 seconds, turned and swiftly went back to where I came from. That's the last I saw of it. Although it startled me I wasn't scared at all, but also didn't want to shake hands with it lol. I assume it was pulling bark off the downed trees looking for bugs, mushrooms, or whatever.

After a few minutes at the truck my brother went back down to the river's edge to pick up some things left behind and took some pictures of bear tracks in the sand. Not sure if it was the same bear. They didn't look to fresh. (he had his 44 mag at the ready)

On a side note..These bears in the area must be so used to humans that they have no fear. We had been there 15-20 minutes less than 100 yards from it. We had been talking the whole time and the wind although light was blowing straight down wind to it. I walked close to 50 yards right toward it making all kinds of noise climbing over downed trees, waders swooshing with my steps, etc. I'm not sure what it did after it saw me. I didn't look back. But I wouldn't be surprised if he/she just went about its business.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News