ADVERTISEMENT

Frost willing to make changes...

timnsun

Head Coach
Jan 25, 2008
If the consensus is that Frost has shown a willingness to make changes in the coaching staff to improve the team, why do posters think he won’t make changes at key positions like QB or center to improve the team if we have better players on the bench?

I am really puzzled by this train of thought... at first it was only QB that Frost would never make a change, but now I am seeing some posters say he would never pull Jurgens from center.

To those who believe this, why do you believe this? Don’t the coaching changes communicate otherwise?

Jurgens was a Freshman last season. If we are running a legit program then OLinemen should improve over time. I'd expect that Jurgens will be a very good Center as time goes on.

I strongly dislike the idea of another season with a different Freshmen at Center. I also dont think you can expect much from a P5 team starting a crew of Freshmen at OLine. No successful team in America does that!

Reactions: spinner4
Jurgens was a Freshman last season. If we are running a legit program then OLinemen should improve over time. I'd expect that Jurgens will be a very good Center as time goes on.

I strongly dislike the idea of another season with a different Freshmen at Center. I also dont think you can expect much from a P5 team starting a crew of Freshmen at OLine. No successful team in America does that!
I trust they know talent and potential. They think jurgens will be special. Ok. I'm good with that

We're very thin and still 2 recruting classes away from competing with the big boys. We're going to start another freshman this year (Benhart) so that should tell you we are still a work in progress.

Frost is here to rebuild the program. The whole "he won't make changes" thing stems from the unique circumstance of him bringing his entire UCF staff to Nebraska, and his own personal confidence in himself.

You have to also remember though, Frost cares about Nebraska, Tom Osborne, and the success of the program, and he elected to rebuild it from the ground up on purpose. Also, this is a world-class athlete who got into Stanford University, won a national championship, and played in the NFL before coaching a bunch.

He is not stupid.

Frost is here to rebuild the program. The whole "he won't make changes" thing stems from the unique circumstance of him bringing his entire UCF staff to Nebraska, and his own personal confidence in himself.

You have to also remember though, Frost cares about Nebraska, Tom Osborne, and the success of the program, and he elected to rebuild it from the ground up on purpose. Also, this is a world-class athlete who got into Stanford University, won a national championship, and played in the NFL before coaching a bunch.

He is not stupid.

Spot on.

I think its excuses being conjured up so some can b1tch, the very ones saying playing freshmen is an excuse.
They can't see past the coach, and that coach better be perfect, like how TO wasn't,and actually had thoughts of colorado

I have no doubt Frost will do what he thinks is best for the program.

On an unrelated note

Does anyone have any intel on Chins best man toast and/or wedding gift he gave Frost?

If the consensus is that Frost has shown a willingness to make changes in the coaching staff to improve the team, why do posters think he won’t make changes at key positions like QB or center to improve the team if we have better players on the bench?

I am really puzzled by this train of thought... at first it was only QB that Frost would never make a change, but now I am seeing some posters say he would never pull Jurgens from center.

To those who believe this, why do you believe this? Don’t the coaching changes communicate otherwise?
I think Frost realizes he better show some progress in Season 3 or fans will be getting restless. He knows even Tom Osborne was getting heat early in his head coaching career for 9 win seasons. Granted expectations have been tamped down quite a bit after the Callahan and Riley tenures but I think Frost will be less patient with players/coaches next season including QB.

I have no doubt Frost will do what he thinks is best for the program.

On an unrelated note

Does anyone have any intel on Chins best man toast and/or wedding gift he gave Frost?
Good point. I should have included Chins in the list of names people think Frost won’t make changes with. Thanks for reminding Me that people (you) don’t think Frost will make changes to improve the team.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Good point. I should have included Chins in the list of names people think Frost won’t make changes with. Thanks for reminding Me that people (you) don’t think Frost will make changes to improve the team.

please find one post where I say he won’t make changes

So, Bo should have fired himseld and nt waited? 60th?,51st?
He sure would have saved us a ton of crap if he had.

It's marked improvement. If you're incapable of understand that, I'm just proud of you for being able to log on today.

And there's a whole lot of regression in those numbers, but it's been progress both years under Chinander.

He's had the 7th and 5th worst scoring defenses over the last 8 seasons for Nebraska.

tongue in cheek quotes generally have some element of truth, but carry on
Just responding to a post asking about Chin’s wedding gift to Frost and the fact he was Frost’s best man, which I took to mean you were suggesting Frost won’t change someone who was his best man. Why else would you post that?

Carry on.

He's had the 7th and 5th worst scoring defenses over the last 8 seasons for Nebraska.
That 2012 defense gave up 70 to Wisky, the 2016 defense gave up 62 to aOSU, the 2019 defense gave up 50+ to absolutely nobody.

The defense ranked 116th the year prior to his arrival. They've essentially cut that number in half. It's not elite yet, but that's clearly progress.

Last edited:
Just responding to a post asking about Chin’s wedding gift to Frost and the fact he was Frost’s best man, which I took to mean you were suggesting Frost won’t change someone who was his best man. Why else would you post that?

Carry on.
Basically, it's only the coaches, never the players statement? Because we know we have the players, all those guys on the all Big team,those who've been drafted.
It's troll comment, or, its coaches only comment, no inbetweens,like adding players.

Some fans have to realize just how competitive SF truly is, and this will always be his highest achievement to show his competitiveness

That 2012 defense gave up 70 to Wisky, the 2016 defense gave up 62 to aOSU, the 2019 defense gave up 50+ to absolutely nobody.

OSU could have scored 60+ on the 2019 defense if they wanted to, but they chose not to.

The defense ranked 116th the year prior to his arrival. They've essentially cut that number in half.

Bob Diaco was an anomaly and a disaster. Thats what happens when an administration forces something on you.

Literally zero players or coaches are here from the Pelini era, so pulling those numbers is on par with comparing how Nebraska has played defensively to the McBride led mid-90s teams.

Disagree. Its called context. Pelini's players were relevant in the Mike Riley 3 year period, just like the Mike Riley players will be relevant for a Frost 3 year period.

Ohio State could've scored 70 in 2016, Wisky could've put up 90 in '12.

It doesn't matter why Diaco didn't work.

Pelini's teams regressed his final two years here, the only defensive coordinators to show improvement are Banker and Chinander....the only guy to improve multiple years is Chinander.

Ohio State could've scored 70 in 2016, Wisky could've put up 90 in '12.

It doesn't matter why Diaco didn't work.

Pelini's teams regressed his final two years here, the only defensive coordinators to show improvement are Banker and Chinander....the only guy to improve multiple years is Chinander.

That's fair. We'll see what 2020 brings, with the schedule and holes to fill it will be tough not to regress. Hope he proves that wrong

Carry on.

i never said he wouldn’t change or should change out Chins.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that someone with whom you are familiar, friends with, was in your wedding party is going to get the benefit of the doubt and a much longer leash versus someone with which you have little or no relationship.

Much in the same way fans are more tolerant of losing/underachieving seasons when your coach is a popular former player than say an outsider.

That loyalty can either be a positive or negative attribute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

I think it is a reasonable assumption that someone who you are familiar with, friends with, was in your wedding party is going to get the benefit of the doubt and a much longer leash versus someone with which you have little or no relationship.

Much in same way fans are more tolerant of losing/underachieving seasons when your coach is a popular former player than say an outsider.
"I never said it, I've just butt-hurtedly implied it in every post for months on end."

I think it is a reasonable assumption that someone who you are familiar with, friends with, was in your wedding party is going to get the benefit of the doubt and a much longer leash versus someone with which you have little or no relationship.

Much in same way fans are more tolerant of losing/underachieving seasons when your coach is a popular former player than say an outsider.

That loyalty can either be a positive or negative attribute.
Innocent post on your part then? Not an attempt to stir the pot at all?

Then my bad.

who are you quoting? Or do you simply not understand how quotation marks work?
you, silly!

you're just too chicken to come out and say what everyone reads between your lines.

we're all very sorry your feelings are hurt because mean ol' coach frost said we'd be good and we're not.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Innocent post on your part then? Not an attempt to stir the pot at all?

Then my bad.
he never said a change wouldn't be made.

instead, he's spent countless posts spelling out exactly why they wouldn't be made between reminding everyone we don't win games.

can't you see the difference?

instead, he's spent countless posts spelling out exactly why they wouldn't be made between reminding everyone we don't win games.

posts are archived - please show my “countless posts” about Frost not willing to make changes.

posts are archived - please show my “countless posts” about Frost not willing to make changes.
anyone can simply scroll up on this thread to find a handful. best man's speech, longer leash, etc. all implications a change won't be made.

good schtick, though. talk out of both sides of your mouth long enough, you'll never be wrong!

one day your butt will heal. until then, we'll count on you for more of this:
you’re correct ... if you overlook that 1-5 record to finish the season.. man, we really had things rolling.

that doesn’t count b/c of Riley. Any losses going forward for at least another few years also do not count.

completely agree... people need to lighten up and realize that once you ignore all the losing, we are in fact, killing it.

and there it is ....

but, but ... Wiscy
but, but ... Iowa
but, but ... NW
but, but ... Illinois
but, but ... Purdue
but, but ... Minny

I hope to god North Dakota State doesn't ever get a BIG invite

it's so unfair when you consider that the other teams are trying to win as well

this is why I keep saying we will become Iowa (maybe slightly better) ... there will always be reasons cited where 7 wins or 8 wins is really equivalent to 9-11 wins

anyone can simply scroll up on this thread to find a handful. best man's speech, longer leash, etc. all implications a change won't be made.

good schtick, though. talk out of both sides of your mouth long enough, you'll never be wrong!

one day your butt will heal. until then, we'll count on you for more of this:

the best man's speech post was to illustrate he will be less willing to make a change because of his close relationship with Chins not that he absolutely will not

the remainder of the posts have nothing, what-so-ever, to do with whether or not Frost is willing to make changes

I know, which is why I addressed the initial post of his in this thread. His thing, as best I can tell, is to stir the pot for the optimists who overlook Frost’s faults so far, which didn’t happen with previous coaches. Frost gets special treatment by virtue of his history with Nebraska.

And to a large degree, he’s right. The problem is I rarely see any post from him except a stir the pot kind of post. Which makes most of his posts the kind that stick in my craw a bit, and I take the bait too often.

I think JLB is a good dude, he just likes pointing out the exceptions to how we feel about Frost compared to previous coaches.

tongue in cheek quotes generally have some element of truth, but carry on

I think it is a reasonable assumption that someone with whom you are familiar, friends with, was in your wedding party is going to get the benefit of the doubt and a much longer leash versus someone with which you have little or no relationship.

if these aren't implications, I'm Miles Davis.

I know, which is why I addressed the initial post of his in this thread. His thing, as best I can tell, is to stir the pot for the optimists who overlook Frost’s faults so far, which didn’t happen with previous coaches. Frost gets special treatment by virtue of his history with Nebraska.

And to a large degree, he’s right. The problem is I rarely see any post from him except a stir the pot kind of post. Which makes most of his posts the kind that stick in my craw a bit, and I take the bait too often.

I think JLB is a good dude, he just likes pointing out the exceptions to how we feel about Frost compared to previous coaches.

ah, yes. the Lord's work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT