ADVERTISEMENT

Frost the worst Nebraska coach ever defined by 1 decision....

Maybe Frost is being honest when he says Martinez gives us the best chance to win.
Maybe but what is really true is Martinez gives us the best chance to lose by one score. That is a fact. Sometimes you just gotta throw the backup out there and see what happens and maybe the guy that gives you the best chance to win might benefit from that too. But its been four years of losing with this combo and none of us really know for sure what the answer is. If your back up QB is that bad you can't play him for ONE series isn't that on the HC too? What's funny is I see other teams win against us and others with their bad backups all the time.

Geezus Frost.... Show the fans you will pull all the strings to try an win. Oklahoma benched Rattler and played true freshman Caleb Williams. And Rattler was a Heisman fave in preseason. I have been a staunch supporter. But this shit show needs to end. I fear he gets his 5th year though.

Maybe Frost is being honest when he says Martinez gives us the best chance to win.

He probably honestly does believe that. But the fact that he keeps playing AM thorough injury and playing him through boneheaded mistakes is a huge problem isn’t it? And even if he’s your best QB, after a few of the decisions today, he needed taken out.

Last edited:
We were in the Big 12 Championship game the season before the meltdown.

Our D was pretty damn good in 2006. Why would Cally have fired Cosgrove when he was fired himself after the 2007 season?
The 2006 Defense ended the season ranked 56th in the nation in Total Defense and you call that "pretty damn good"?

In the 4 years BC was our head coach, our D ended the season ranked 56, 26, 56 and then 112. On the flip side, our O ended the season ranked 69, 96, 14 and then 9.

Our offense struggled for the first 2 years (obviously), but then BC had it humming in the last 2. Our defense had a decent season in '05, but it went downhill from there. The fact of the matter is that BC very likely would have gotten another year if he'd fired Cosgrove. He didn't, and that ultimately played a big part in his eventual firing.

2005 Total Defense

Reactions: Swiv3D
Frost chased off three quarterbacks before his first season, including the returning starter and the QB of the future. That alone showed he lacked what was needed at the QB position. Fixated one one guy who is going to leave as a four-year starter who only won 15 games.
Well when you are going to make the Big10 change for you, you are going to necessarily piss some ppl off.

The scariest thing at this point is I’m not convinced that Frost even thinks he’s in over his skis. We are so F’d I can’t even wrap my mind around it anymore.

On the bright side the bball team was fun to watch

• Haha
Reactions: pharvey0829
Yes, we have sucked and Frost has failed. Doesn’t make Gebbia any good. Not taking Burrow was a mistake, not going with Gebbia, meh not convinced things would be much different with him.
It was the handling of the Gebbia-Martinez situation that was the problem. Not the choice to go with Martinez over Gebbia.

Last edited:
Not sure Gebbia has ever shown anything either. Of course he could have had Burrow, a different type portal QB, etc too.
Burrow
Apparently my 8 year old thinks it is hilarious when I scream at the screen that Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez are f"ing pussies.
Don't swear in front of your kid.

'Frost the worst Nebraska coach ever defined by 1 decision...."​

Such negativity. Scott Frost is the moral victory champion. If they had a national championship for moral victories, the Nebraska cornhuskers would win it hands down.

Same excuse
The problems lie deeper than Martinez. The lack of discipline and attention to detail are what have done this staff in. No accountability from anyone. I think frost tried to reverse course on that this year, but it’s too late. Martinez clearly started to pout and checked out after frost chewed his ass for not fighting for a first down. These kids don’t respond well to criticism and that’s based on the culture this staff instilled. I’m terrified this is the death of Nebraska football. We deemed frost the savior and he’ll be a colossal failure. What follows that and how do you regroup as an institution? I don’t know but it won’t be easy or quick
Same excuse we used after Riley, not buying it.

About eight years ago I took a new job, which I realized I hated after the second day. The CFO was a heinous micromanager, and the manager was a brain-dead moron. A year later, I switched to a job that had essentially the same title, duties, and team, only with a parallel division. And loved it. Loved my boss, coworkers, etc. Identical jobs, but totally different atmosphere.

Culture matters. In the end, they're all just playing football. It shouldn't be this hard.

Worst NU headcoach defined by one decision? I'd say that was Bill Callahan not firing Cosgrove. He was a good recruiter and our O was pretty good, but he opted to hitch his wagon on to a mediocre DC.
BS! First off, his offense was NOT that GOOD when he was here.

Second the players he recruited, he couldn't DEVELOP and it took a new coach (Pelini) to get the best out of them.

Thirdly his great "recruiting" led by John Blake could have led to a nice SMU style DEATH PENALTY!!!

The only other scenario that I can remember that comes close to resembling the Frost/Martinez allegiance was Dan Hawkins tenure at Colorado. He recruited his son as QB and started him as a freshman and then (shockingly) could not find a qualified backup who wanted to sit the bench behind the coach's son as the losing seasons mounted.

Somehow, Hawkins was given a 5th year, despite 4 losing years and a 3-9 record in year 4, but was a dead man walking in year 5 and didn't make it through the season.

Reactions: StrongArm517
Im part of the problem? I didn’t throw 3 INT today and I’ve never said anything like you just claimed. I am however pointing out that Gebbia has not proven to be a good QB. Heck, Vedral would have been a better option.
Gebbia has been injured off and on throughout his OSU career. OSU's website is a joke so it's hard to be sure what his exact statistics are. The only thing we can use to judge what Gebbia would have done in this offense was his spring scrimmage performances but he sure looked like a better passer and decision maker than Martinez. He just would have given us a viable option to Adrian when Adrian decides to go brain dead. Adrian in so many ways resembles what Carson Wentz is now in the NFL. Mind blowing decisions that cost his team games.

Reactions: ATX Husker
BS! First off, his offense was NOT that GOOD when he was here.

Second the players he recruited, he couldn't DEVELOP and it took a new coach (Pelini) to get the best out of them.

Thirdly his great "recruiting" led by John Blake could have led to a nice SMU style DEATH PENALTY!!!
Our offense ended the season ranked 69th and 96th in his first two years. Then our offense ended the season ranked 14th and 9th in his final two years. I would categorize the offense those final two years as not just "GOOD", but very good to excellent. That's called recruiting the right players and developing them.

The BS you're spewing is about the defense, which ended the final two years rated 56th and 112th. It was also the defense that Pelini got more out of (as would have any decent DC).

As I said, BC's biggest mistake was his unwillingness to fire Cosgrove.

AM's best year by far was his freshman year. He was dangerous running the ball and wasn't afraid to air it out like he is now. The better qb that year was AM by a long shot. Gebbia was a prissy little bitch who got beat out and decided to take his ball and go home. Don't know why that decision is celebrated by so many on here. There's a ton of other things you can blame, but Gebbia would be the last one I could think of.

Reactions: leodisflowers
The only other scenario that I can remember that comes close to resembling the Frost/Martinez allegiance was Dan Hawkins tenure at Colorado. He recruited his son as QB and started him as a freshman and then (shockingly) could not find a qualified backup who wanted to sit the bench behind the coach's son as the losing seasons mounted.

Somehow, Hawkins was given a 5th year, despite 4 losing years and a 3-9 record in year 4, but was a dead man walking in year 5 and didn't make it through the season.
3-9 in year 4 huh? Could history repeat itself this time in Lincoln...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT