Tennessee Pruitt 2-3
Arizona State Edwards 3-3
FSU Taggert 3-3
Oregon Cristobal 4-1
Mississippi State Moorhead 4-2
Ole Miss Luke 4-2
Texas A&M Fisher 4-2
Florida Mullen 5-1
Who’s going to blink first. I’ll be tuned in next week.

I am hoping that is because they both have the same approach when joining a new team. Basically install their system 100% if they have the right personnel or not. Where maybe other coaches go in and work with the talent they have to pull out a 5 or 6 win season. Installing it all right away will cause more pain in the short term, will hopefully lead to a quicker turn around. Who knows I could be way off.

That Purdue game really hurts right now....we have been beaten by 3 good teams...NU rarely faces that in the first 5 games...Troy was due to having a debacle at QB, but Purdue is the misnomer...at home and never really being in the game...I think that was the bottom and hopefully the slow slog up has begun.

From what I see our Offense is working for the most part. The Defense has been the weak link. In order to win we have to come out on top in a shootout. Until we get the pieces in place on D, our Offense needs to be more consistent and stop sputtering at times and leaving the Defense gassed.

Reactions: scarletred
The Pac-12 South is a very weak division. The Colorado team we should have beaten is the best team in that division. Give Chip a few years and I think UCLA will own the Pac-12 South.
Should have beat Colorado, Should have beat Troy. Should have beat Purdue. Perfect record at should have's. Does that mean the record is 3-2?

Records of new P5 Coaches in 2018.
Nebraska Frost 0-5
UCLA Kelly 0-5
Oregon State Smith 1-5
Arkansas Morris 1-5
Tennessee Pruitt 2-3
Arizona State Edwards 3-3
FSU Taggert 3-3
Oregon Cristobal 4-1
Mississippi State Moorhead 4-2
Ole Miss Luke 4-2
Texas A&M Fisher 4-2
Florida Mullen 5-1

Had an idea if UCLA and NU are still 0-for at the end of the year the 2 play at an outdoor bowl game in Cleveland on Christmas Day. See who wants it the least.

From what I see our Offense is working for the most part. The Defense has been the weak link. In order to win we have to come out on top in a shootout. Until we get the pieces in place on D, our Offense needs to be more consistent and stop sputtering at times and leaving the Defense gassed.
Not too many times you put up 500+ yards and lose. Just think how many yards, points and wins we would have without all the blooming penalties

Had an idea if UCLA and NU are still 0-for at the end of the year the 2 play at an outdoor bowl game in Cleveland on Christmas Day. See who wants it the least.
A pillow fight would be more fitting. Maybe Kathy Griffin would officiate.

Our PPG would disagree with your claim that the offense is working. The defense has been bad and the offense hasn't helped them.

You got to watch the defense hold up alright at first in Madison and just get more and more worn down as the offense couldn't keep them off the field. 20-3 at halftime tells you more than what a bunch of empty yards in the second half do.

The offense has its moments where you see what it can become if they can put it all together, but it's not a good offense right now.

Our PPG would disagree with your claim that the offense is working. The defense has been bad and the offense hasn't helped them.

You got to watch the defense hold up alright at first in Madison and just get more and more worn down as the offense couldn't keep them off the field. 20-3 at halftime tells you more than what a bunch of empty yards in the second half do.

The offense has its moments where you see what it can become if they can put it all together, but it's not a good offense right now.

We had 4 legit drives to work with in the first half. I'm not going to argue that the offense is good right now, but it was not the offense that couldn't keep the defense off the field. It was the defense not getting stops.

Reactions: oldjar07
We had 4 legit drives to work with in the first half. I'm not going to argue that the offense is good right now, but it was not the offense that couldn't keep the defense off the field. It was the defense not getting stops.
Exactly Wisconsin got a ton of chunk plays in the first quarter and was running over our defense well before they should have been tired. Force a stop and you'll get off the field. If our defense was tired, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Even with the struggle on D, IF we were playing better on special teams AND avoiding some of the turnovers on offense, we would have several wins by now. Other than at Michigan, the D slowed teams down enough to where if we had played better in the other phases we could have won those other 4 games.

We're getting teased IMO with what our O and D can be. Once we become more consistent, this offense in particular will be scary good. IMO, it's just a matter of eliminating mental errors. I'm excited about the future after watching these past few games.

Since Colorado, we're averaging 4.5 points on offense in the first half of football. We've gotta stop doing that to our defense if we want to win.

Even with the struggle on D, IF we were playing better on special teams AND avoiding some of the turnovers on offense, we would have several wins by now. Other than at Michigan, the D slowed teams down enough to where if we had played better in the other phases we could have won those other 4 games.
The only time our defense played well enough to win us the game was against Troy and even then we were playing with a backup qb and they gave up a late drive that cost us the game.

Our special teams I think is a reflection of our defense, slow and tentative. We miss a lot of tackles on defense, but with 11 guys around the ball it's easier to cover up mistakes. On special teams, you usually only have a few guys capable of making a play, so if those guys screw up, the results are much worse.

Just for interest..

Projected all conference players by team from Athlon for 2018.

UF - 9
AM- 8
Miss-6
Miss St. - 9
Oregon - 14
FSU - 11
ASU - 4
Tenn - 5
Ark- 7
OSU - 2
NU - 5 (Bryant, JD, Morgan, Foster, Stoltenberg)

In Big 10, Michigan has 14, Indiana has 4...

Just for interest...

Since Colorado, we're averaging 4.5 points on offense in the first half of football. We've gotta stop doing that to our defense if we want to win.
Great point. The offensives play calling has been much too conservative at the start of each game. The play calling for Wisconsin in the 1st half vs the 2nd was night and day. We attacked vertically and everything opened up.

With our Defense right now, only way we win games is if Frost comes out with an attacking game plan early on. 4.5 points at halftime will keep getting us losses!

Great point. The offensives play calling has been much too conservative at the start of each game. The play calling for Wisconsin in the 1st half vs the 2nd was night and day. We attacked vertically and everything opened up.

With our Defense right now, only way we win games is if Frost comes out with an attacking game plan early on. 4.5 points at halftime will keep getting us losses!
I'm curious how much work in the first half goes into setting up the second half. That would be my only question. I would love to be in their game plan meetings to see if that is something they're trying to do. Sometimes, if you don't run some of the things you need to in the first half, you aren't able to produce explosive plays that rely on moving defenders or getting DCs into calling the game a certain way.

But yes, we need to score more points. Right now, we're putting the pressure on our weaker unit (the defense) to play against fully open playbooks in the second half. If we can score and put pressure on the opposing offense to keep up, that may change the way the opposing OC calls the second half, and it might result in our defense getting into situations where the offense they're facing is more predictable. Perhaps, when the opposing QB is playing from behind and feels like he needs to take more chances, we'll have more opportunities to create interceptions. Opposing offenses have been far too comfortable this year, minus Colorado. We haven't made anyone play from behind except ourselves.

Reactions: bigredhunter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT