ADVERTISEMENT

Frost’s defense or Frost’s offense? (yards but few points)

I was just going to post this same thing. Crazy how moving the ball translated into wins for everyone else in CFB, but not Nebraska. Probably just comes down to having a bad defense and struggling in the red zone. The red zone I am confident we can fix with better OL play and bigger WR’s, the defense I don't know...

Yes. The WR position was an area that was pretty solid when Frost arrived. The current situation is largely self inflicted.

Huh? The WR unit was a complete disaster when Frost arrived. It as so bad we couldn't even do a 5 WR set when he got here and had to urgently bring in JUCO kids to fill out the roster. The WR room has gotten better since Frost has gotten here, but it lacks everything that is important - depth, size, speed, a guy that can take the top off, and flat out skill. The good news is that we have some good freshman and if we bring in a good 2020 class that unit will be completely different and finally heading into P5 level.

Reactions: zrob
Yes. The WR position was an area that was pretty solid when Frost arrived. The current situation is largely self inflicted.
Not sure about all of that. JD and Stan were good, nothing else. And after two classes, all that has changed is Stan is gone. They didn’t inherit that much, depth wise, and they have done nothing to improve it.

We’ve got to have some guys on that bench that can play WR. No way we struck out on all of them. Or there’s a position coach that needs to get his head out of his anus
Good question.

I think almost every WR from 2018 class are not on team. Have a few. Cupboard is bare. Need Betts to get here. Need Manning and maybe Jamar Chase can enter the portal. Or Devonta Smith

Huh? The WR unit was a complete disaster when Frost arrived. It as so bad we couldn't even do a 5 WR set when he got here and had to urgently bring in JUCO kids to fill out the roster. The WR room has gotten better since Frost has gotten here, but it lacks everything that is important - depth, size, speed, a guy that can take the top off, and flat out skill. The good news is that we have some good freshman and if we bring in a good 2020 class that unit will be completely different and finally heading into P5 level.

Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman, McQuitty, Tyjon Lindsey, Reimers, and Kade Warner were all on the roster. Andre Hunt was committed before Frost was hired, wasn't he? Far from a complete disaster.

This tells a monumental story. And it is the source of my greatest frustration. So many times over the past two seasons if you were to just look at the stats after the game you would think we would have won. We have won a ton of statical games, just never in the column that counts. Even against Wisconsin yesterday, more yards, better 3rd down conversion, fewer penalties and fewer penalty yards, even in the turnover column. They only had two more first downs than we did. What killed us yesterday was the KO return for a TD, the INT deep on our own end of the field, 0-3 on 4th down, and the inability of the defense to get a few meaningful stops.

Reactions: Minn1954 and c3o
This tells a monumental story. And it is the source of my greatest frustration. So many times over the past two seasons if you were to just look at the stats after the game you would think we would have won. We have won a ton of statical games, just never in the column that counts. Even against Wisconsin yesterday, more yards, better 3rd down conversion, fewer penalties and fewer penalty yards, even in the turnover column. They only had two more first downs than we did. What killed us yesterday was the KO return for a TD, the INT deep on our own end of the field, 0-3 on 4th down, and the inability of the defense to get a few meaningful stops.

We are losing on the key plays for sure. We get them in a 3rd and 10 and bootle completely whiffs 4 yds short of the marker and they pick it up. Meanwhile, we have first and goal at the 5 and dont score. We have 2nd and 5 on another drive way into their territory and dont score. They make 3 field goals, we miss our only one that likely caused us to not try another one that would have made it a one score game late.

Reactions: jeans15
Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman, McQuitty, Tyjon Lindsey, Reimers, and Kade Warner were all on the roster. Andre Hunt was committed before Frost was hired, wasn't he? Far from a complete disaster.
Hunt wasn’t committed, he committed to the new staff at the last second. Even so, a pretty weak group, that has only gotten worse.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We had a bunch of huge gains on the ground, which was awesome. We really struggled in short yardage spots though.

Reactions: headcard
Team needs to also be able to play under center and learn to run in the red zone. I’m sure some of that is the confidence in the offensive line, but it also sometimes feels like arrogance of play calling.

Same as blitzing so much on 3rd and 4th that you have receivers running free or with a slow linebacker on them.

You fix those two items, with a somewhat clean special teams game, and this season is completely different imo...

Some of this puts to rest the rumors of not needing as good or as many athletes to run this O. The reality is it is dependent on stars all over the place, have a weak spot and it is exposed. How many WR"s were already here and how many more have been recruited? Now how many have developed?

It's like that old saying, if it ain't one thing it's another. First no O line, now no WR, then no D line and now no LB's, and no kickers.

Last edited:

Who are the good freshman and why aren't they on the field? How has the room gotten better? because of Noa?!?

Holy Hell, is that really you, Pennsy? Good to see you back. :D
Yeah, it’s me. Lol. I was in a total funk for a while where I swore off football. The Minnesota game was a kick in the nuts for me. Getting blown out by Ohio State was something I expected, and I figured we could also lose to Minnesota. But getting embarrassed and annihilated by them was a total bummer to me. I haven’t watched a game since then. Can’t take the emotional heartache. Made me realize I had invested way too much time and emotion on a silly sport. But I am a boy from Lincoln and a Husker to my bones so I can’t help but care. And I am going to the Maryland game this week and felt like it was time to get back in the saddle.

Yeah, it’s me. Lol. I was in a total funk for a while where I swore off football. The Minnesota game was a kick in the nuts for me. Getting blown out by Ohio State was something I expected, and I figured we could also lose to Minnesota. But getting embarrassed and annihilated by them was a total bummer to me. I haven’t watched a game since then. Can’t take the emotional heartache. Made me realize I had invested way too much time and emotion on a silly sport. But I am a boy from Lincoln and a Husker to my bones so I can’t help but care. And I am going to the Maryland game this week and felt like it was time to get back in the saddle.
drj1NmK.gif

You saved yourself a lot of disappointment by not watching the last three games.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I was just going to post this same thing. Crazy how moving the ball translated into wins for everyone else in CFB, but not Nebraska. Probably just comes down to having a bad defense and struggling in the red zone. The red zone I am confident we can fix with better OL play and bigger WR’s, the defense I don't know...
BIG 10 vs other places. The BIG10 plays D. In the BIG if you can put up that many yards on O on another BIG10 D, Usually your D is good enough to get you the win. I have said since day 1 this outscore your opponent mentality is not going to work here. We have to have a D. When we do I guarantee getting over 350 yrds will start getting us the win.

As bad as the defense has played, if you are out gaining your opponents in 12 of 17 games, that is on the offense not scoring points at the same rate as their opponents. You have to be better than 6-6 in games where you gain more yards than your opponent.

In an offense like Frost's where they are dependent on big plays and have quick drives, and where TOP is not necessarily an indicator of controlling the game, you have to score points when you get inside the 25. Against Wisconsin, we never got a large enough lead where we would have forced them out of their comfort zone where they needed to pass and score quickly to keep up. They were able to keep the ball for 35 minutes of the game, and pound the ball against our defense. In a perfect world, we score, and force them to drive the length of the field to tie it up, rather than give up the KO return. Perhaps, if we would have scored to make it a 14 point game, our confidence increases and the pressure on them to score becomes increased.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT